On the Web:
- The Credit Card of Tomorrow: Software, Not Plastic - New York Times Dealbook - “It’s about taking vulnerable data out of the merchant environment,” said Ellen Richey, Visa’s chief legal officer.
- Buzz Points Raises $19M at $65M Valuation, With Help From Discover - WSJ Venture Capital Dispatch - "Discover Financial Services is backing loyalty rewards startup Buzz Points Inc., filling out a $19 million round to bankroll the company as it enters new geographic markets across the country."
- Merchants Disappointed by Court Ruling on Debit Swipe Fees - New York Times You're the Boss Blog - "But in the intervening years, the cost of debit transactions increased — for small retailers, the fees on some transactions have quadrupled since 1995, adjusting for inflation."
- Federal Bank VP: Bitcoin Threat Means Banks Must ‘Adapt or Die’ - CoinDesk - "The session, entitled ‘Bitcoin and Beyond: The Possibilities and the Pitfalls of Virtual Currencies’, was presented by economist David Andolfatto, who is Vice President at the bank and a professor at Simon Fraser University."
- 10 Ways iBeacon Can Improve Banking Sales & Service - Bank Marketing Strategy (Jim Marous) - "iBeacon technology is designed to deliver continuous content based on the precise location of a customer within a branch, allowing for highly relevant messaging or special offers on products to be sent to smartphone users at the exact time and place they are most useful."
On the Wires:
- Wells Fargo and Dillard’s Announce New Credit Card Agreement - "Wells Fargo & Company and Dillard’s, Inc. announced today that the two companies have entered into an agreement for Wells Fargo to fund, issue and service Dillard’s-branded private label and co-brand credit cards. Wells Fargo will also manage the cardholder loyalty program for Dillard’s."
- MasterCard Calls on MEPs to Protect the Benefits of Electronic Payments for Small Businesses - "Ahead of a European Parliament plenary vote on 3 April 2014, MasterCard calls on Members of the European Parliament not to include commercial cards in draft legislation on interchange fees for electronic payments."
- Accumulate launches Close Payment with Close Beacon for mobile commerce - ”Mobile payment has to be about more than just payment in order to attract customers and merchants. Accumulate delivers with Close Payment and Close Beacon a unique platform that seamlessly brings together payments and marketing”, says Accumulate co-founder and CEO Stefan Hultberg.
- Introducing U.S. Bank Business Edge: A New Name for U.S. Bank's Small Business Payment Products - "U.S. Bank has announced a new brand for its small business payment products – U.S. Bank Business Edge™ – and the addition of a new, more rewarding credit card."
- Zuora Nabs PTC Global Exec Marc Diouane as Subscription Growth Skyrockets around the Globe - "With over 20 years of leadership experience, Marc was head of International Sales and most recently served as Executive Vice President, Global Services & Partners at enterprise software giant PTC..."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: May 6-7 and Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews