On the Web
- Merchants Go on Offense in Digital Payments - PaymentsViews.com (Bryan Derman) - "We are now seeing that economic leverage gradually imposed on the rest of the payment value chain (short-circuiting network fees through negotiated, bilateral interchange) in a way that more fully reflects their importance of major retailers in the dominant consumer sector of the U.S. economy."
- Federal Reserve issues FOMC statement - "Given the economic outlook, and recognizing the time it takes for policy actions to affect future economic outcomes, the Committee decided to raise the target range for the federal funds rate to 1/4 to 1/2 percent."
- Braintree Drives Commerce Forward with Facebook Messenger and Uber - Braintree Blog - “We are excited to partner with Braintree to offer users increased convenience, flexibility, and security,” said P.J. Linarducci, Facebook Head of Payment Products.
- Australia banks agree Android Pay deal, Apple Pay still frozen out - Reuters - "It's a big bargaining chip for (Australian) banks to use to force a better deal with Apple," said Foad Fadaghi, managing director of technology research firm Telsyte.
- Paytm’s Founder On Its Online-To-Offline Strategy In India - TechCrunch - "In India, Paytm also wants to position itself as a better option than credit cards, which are slowly gaining in popularity but still used by relatively few Indian consumers."
- Asia-Pacific Is Home to Majority of World Retail Ecommerce Market - eMarketer - "For the first time, the region will not only have the largest digital retail market in the world, but its share of global digital retail spend will also reach 52.5%—the first time it holds an outright majority of the world market."
On the Wires
- Global Payments to Acquire Heartland Payment Systems for $4.3 Billion, Combining Leading Payments Technology Companies - “This partnership with Heartland marks a major milestone for our company, significantly enhancing our direct presence in our largest market and transforming Global Payments into the leading provider of integrated payments technology solutions in the world,” said Jeffrey S. Sloan, Chief Executive Officer of Global Payments. “The combination of strong businesses and cultures in high growth markets will generate exceptional opportunities for our employees, customers, partners and shareholders worldwide.”
- Zuora Integrates with BlueSnap for Frictionless Checkout with Maximized Payment Conversions - “Zuora has built an impressive list of clients needing a complex recurring billing solution. Now those customers can leverage our Powered Buy Platform for maximized payment conversions to increase sales around the world,” said Jeff Coppolo, SVP of Global Business Development at BlueSnap.
- Six Things to Know About Chip Cards as You Shop for the Holidays - “It’s an important holiday season for us and the industry,” said Jimm Bell, senior vice president and director of card services for Fifth Third Bank. “We’ll have more chip cards than ever before, and it will be a good time to check how we’re all doing.”
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!