ON THE WEB
- The Plot to Kill the $100 Bill - Wall St. Journal - "The paper argues that eliminating high value currencies—such as the 1,000 Swiss franc ($1,013) note, the €500 note and the $100 bill—would reduce corruption and make life harder for tax evaders, terrorists, drug dealers, financial criminals and human traffickers."
- A Message to Our Customers - Apple CEO Tim Cook - "But now the U.S. government has asked us for something we simply do not have, and something we consider too dangerous to create. They have asked us to build a backdoor to the iPhone."
- As Marijuana Sales Grow, Start-Ups Step In for Wary Banks - New York Times - "The State of Colorado legalized marijuana for recreational use in 2014, joining several other states where the drug has been decriminalized in some form, but Visa and MasterCard will not process transactions for pot dispensaries and most banks will not open accounts for the businesses..."
- Bye, bye, banker: New Monopoly game goes cashless with electronic payments - "Hasbro showed off a new version that eliminates both the game's signature paper money and the banker position."
ON THE WIRES
- Heartland, Smart Card Alliance Collaborate to Improve Payments and Data Security - "Heartland Payment Systems ... today announced it has worked with the Smart Card Alliance to launch the National Center for Advanced Payments and Identity Security, a new training facility hosted by the Alliance. Through a grant from Heartland, the new center will help protect consumers’ privacy and advance the data security of payments and identity through education programs on industry best practices and advances in security technology."
- London Startup Curve to Close the Gap between Traditional and Mobile Payments - "Curve is built on the MasterCard Network and works the same way as every other card, supporting the latest Chip and Pin, magstripe and Contactless technology. Curve is a Prepaid MasterCard, so has bank-level protection and all the security features of traditional cards."
- EMV Merchant Adoption Slower Than Expected - “I suspect that many merchants that have delayed, especially merchants in higher risk categories, felt the impact of the liability shift last year and we’ll see them aggressively ramp up plans to migrate.”
- PayMaya Philippines and Xoom partner for innovative bills payment arrangement with Xoom Bill Pay - "More than 1.8 million Filipinos based in the United States can now instantly pay the Smart and PLDT postpaid bills of their loved ones in the Philippines online through the pioneering partnership between PayMaya Philippines (formerly Smart e-Money, Inc.), and Xoom..."
- SUPERAMERICA® Offers New Private Label Credit Card Program in Partnership With First Bankcard® - "The SUPERAMERICA Credit Card offers consumers 5 cents off per gallon of fuel, excluding diesel, at the pump, as well as in-store at SUPERAMERICA locations. The card provides “Immediate Rewards” and other benefits to its customers."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Here's a quick reminder that we have two of our Glenbrook payments education events coming up later this month - both in Palo Alto, California - we hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
- Glenbrook’s Carol Coye Benson will be at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona February 22-25. Let her know if you will be there!
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!