On the Web:
- How we’re delivering on our commitments to our customers: A recap of Q2 2014 - Braintree Blog (Bill Ready) - "Braintree is now enabling one touch purchasing for more than 70 million consumers, up 25% from last quarter (70.6 million cards on file as of end of Q2 2014)"
- Drastic Changes to Industry with Proposed New York Bitcoin Regulation - Virtual Currency Report (Perkins Coie) - "Please join us for a webinar addressing recently-proposed regulations for virtual currency companies proposed by the New York Department of Financial Services and how these proposed regulations might impact not only companies operating in New York but also companies dealing with New York-based customers and business partners."
- Amazon Quietly Launches Its Consumer-Facing Mobile Wallet App, Amazon Wallet - TechCrunch - "According to the app’s description, Amazon Wallet lets you either scan or type in your gift card, loyalty card and membership card’s information to “reduce the clutter in your leather wallet or purse.”"
- The Real Reason Banks Don’t Like Bitcoin - CoinDesk - "More conspiratorial theories say bitcoin’s destiny is to replace banks, and banks fear the competition. The real answer, however, could be the more mundane one of regulatory risk."
- Target fires back at Amazon with its own image recognition app - "Target is testing an image recognition mobile application to provide instant access – including purchasing capabilities – to products appearing in print ads, catalogs and on in-store signage."
On the Wires:
- Discover Financial Services Reports Second Quarter Net Income of $644 Million or $1.35 Per Diluted Share
- The SHAZAM Network Prepares for EMV with MasterCard Common Debit Solution - "The objective of our collaboration with MasterCard was to provide merchants and issuers routing choice for contact and contactless payments supporting PIN, signature or no cardholder authentication," said SHAZAM CIO Terry Dooley.
- Globally, 3 in 10 Consumers Don’t Trust Retailers With Securing Their Data - “Consumer distrust is exacerbated by the widely publicized retail data breaches over the past year,” Mike Braatz, senior vice president, Payments Risk Management Solutions, ACI Worldwide.
- Easy Solutions Teams with Fundtech to Protect Against Wire Fraud - "Unlike first-generation monitoring systems which can only configure and combine rules within a single transaction channel, DetectTA behavior-based monitoring performs cross channel analysis to detect high-risk wires initiated across banking channels - call center, fax, branch, email, mobile and online."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.; Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Money2020 has become the go-to event in payments. We'll be there in force... will you? Use this promo code to register "GLENBR20"
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews