On the web:
- It’s Complicated: What we can learn from the developing world about payments - On PaymentsViews.com, Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson muses on her day yesterday at the IMFTI Conference at UC Irvine - "Many of the surprises came from insight into how complicated financial management is, from a human dimension, for many of the subjects of these studies."
- Mobile Payments Gain Traction Among India’s Poor - New York Times - "MoneyOnMobile, an Indian start-up, is latching on to an idea that began six years ago in Kenya of transferring money with a few taps of the keypad on an everyday cellphone."
- Bitcoin Boom Spreads to IPhones With Mobile-Payment Apps - Bloomberg - "Matt Tuzzolo, who used to split restaurant bills by sending money via PayPal, now wields his iPhone to pay his fellow diners -- in Bitcoins."
- PayPal’s Order Ahead expands coverage with launch of service in New York City - The Next Web - "Starting today, consumers can use the company’s mobile app to order from 14 Jamba Juice locations in Manhattan."
- A chat with PayPal tech innovator James Barrese - San Jose Mercury News - "Q: PayPal has talked about supporting bitcoins -- a type of digital currency gaining popularity -- one day. Do you actually have any plans to do that? A: We're watching it. We think it's an interesting space."
- Banks Come Under Fire For Filling In The Payday Loan Gap - NPR - "A small but growing number of banks, including some major players, have been offering the equivalent of payday loans, calling them "deposit advances.""
- JPMorgan warns 465,000 card users on data loss after cyber attack - Reuters - "The cards were issued for corporations to pay employees and for government agencies to issue tax refunds, unemployment compensation and other benefits."
- Extreme location ATMs - NCR - "here are NCR ATMs in the desert, in the tropics, on ocean-going ships and just about everywhere you can imagine."
- Kabbage Now Uses Square Data To Provide Business Funding - Forbes.com - "In a statement today, Kabbage said that it was the first company to underwrite funding based on that data."
- I Bought Everything on My Christmas List with Bitcoin - Time - "There are some benefits to doing your holiday shopping using bitcoins. For one thing, bitcoins are a far more secure method of payment than your credit card, so if you use them, there’s little reason to fear identity thieves as other shoppers might."
- Bank of America: Bitcoin Has Clear Potential for Growth - CoinDesk - "In the note, Woo pointed out that bitcoin makes sense as a medium of exchange and has the potential to become a major means of payment for e-commerce."
- Why the price of Bitcoins just plunged 30 percent on Mt. Gox - "On Thursday, China's central bank announced that it is banning financial institutions from using Bitcoin."
- There Are Two Sides to Every Coin—Even to the Bitcoin, a Virtual Currency - Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis - "Today, bitcoins are more widely accepted and circulated than ever, often aiding illicit transactions. In this article, we describe the unique features of the bitcoin and explain how it works."
- Technology is not Actually a Barrier for Very Poor G2P Recipients - CGAP - "It was surprising to learn then that for G2P recipients in the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh, technology- whether a smart card or mobile phone -was rarely a barrier to use for recipients."
On the wires:
- TCH Working Paper Calls for the Safe Evolution of the U.S. Payments System and Recommends Future Improvements - "The Clearing House (TCH) today issued a working paper entitled U.S. Payment System: Recommendations for Safe Evolution and Future Improvements that offers recommendations on how best to evolve the existing payments system."
- John Maeda to Chair Newly-Formed eBay Inc. Design Advisory Board - "Maeda will work with product development and design teams across eBay Inc.’s PayPal, eBay Marketplaces and eBay Enterprise business units. He will help evolve the company’s overall design thinking to create products and experiences that drive deep consumer engagement and loyalty."
- PayAnywhere Signs Agreement with Discover to Offer PayPal Payment Card Acceptance - "Now, by offering PayPal acceptance, we’re not just allowing merchants to accept payments whenever and wherever, we’re helping them grow their revenue opportunity through a whole new form of currency exchange right on their POS devices."
- Adyen Launches Easy Encryption Solution for Online Mobile and Apps Payments Worldwide - "Adyen’s Easy Encryption Solution encrypts the customer’s payment data in the web browser or app and the data remains encrypted until it reaches Adyen’s servers."
- Viewpointe announces agreement with WesPay - "WesPay will acquire the assets of Viewpointe’s Regional Payments Association (RPA)."
- mopay Integrates Automatic Landline Billing as a Fall-Back to an Empty Prepaid Card>
- Caltex Selects FleetCor for Fuel Card Replacement System - "FleetCor will implement its Global FleetNet (GFN) fuel card processing platform to run the Caltex private label commercial card program. The hosted GFN solution will replace Caltex’s existing vendor’s legacy system."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- FEEDBACK: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - here's my email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Looking for consulting help from Glenbrook? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson and Scott Loftesness for our Glenbrook Payments Boot Camp on December 10-11th in Palo Alto, California!
- And stay for our Innovation in Payments Workshop on December 12th in Palo Alto with Russ Jones and Carol Coye Benson.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews