On the Web:
- American Express CEO Ken Chenault: 'There's a $25 trillion opportunity' - "There will be five platforms that matter to the future of payments, Chenault says: Apple, Amazon, Facebook, Google, and Alibaba. American Express will be embedded in each."
- Xapo CEO Casares Says Developing World Will Buoy Bitcoin - Wall St. Journal Digits Blog - “Fifty years from now, we’re going to realize that whatever the government thought and did about bitcoin is about as relevant as what the postmaster general did about email,” Casares said.
- Restaurant Payments App Cover Launches In San Francisco - TechCrunch - "The app lets users skip waiting for a check, with a seamless process for paying a restaurant with your mobile phone instead of breaking out cash or a credit card at the end of a meal."
- More than half of mobile wallets to feature contactless payments: Juniper - Mobile Commerce Daily - "...mobile contactless payments are expected to get a boost from Apple’s anticipated launch of a wallet as well as the introduction late last year of Host Card Emulation technology..."
On the Wires:
- eBay Inc. To Ask eBay Users To Change Passwords - "eBay Inc. said beginning later today it will be asking eBay users to change their passwords because of a cyberattack that compromised a database containing encrypted passwords and other non-financial data."
- Citi Launches Citi Mobile Snapshot across the U.S. - "Citi Mobile Snapshot enables customers to view deposit and credit card balances and recent transactions without having to log into their accounts."
- Fiserv Collaborates with University of Connecticut School of Business on Next-Generation Banking Apps - "The Financial Accelerator Program at the University of Connecticut School of Business shines a spotlight on the exciting and innovative career opportunities available to students in the state,” said Connecticut Governor, Dannel P. Malloy.
- Wells Fargo Places First in Keynote Mobile Banking Scorecard - “Our fastest-growing channel in the history of the bank continues to be a huge hit with our more than 12 million active mobile customers, and this top honor from Keynote underscores our commitment to helping customers manage their finances anytime, anywhere,” said Jim Smith, head of Wells Fargo's Digital Channels Group.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.; Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Glenbrook Payments Insights Workshops: Bitcoin: Basics and Beyond, June 25 in New York City.
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews