On the Web:
- Let’s Just Skip Sig and Go to Chip and PIN - PaymentsViews.com (Jay DeWitt) - "When in Canada, I used my cards many times and my main impression was that this chip and signature stuff was stupid, and it would have been so much easier to have been assigned and using a PIN!"
- Walmart and Apple Are Quietly Fighting the Most Interesting War In Business - Money - "Apple Pay is not simply a fun new feature for your smartphone. It’s the most audible shot in a larger conflict that pits retailers against credit card companies and banks in a battle for the future of payment."
- Apple Pay Already a Huge Hit, Cook Says - New York Times - “In the long arc of time, you’re only relevant as a retailer and merchant if your customers love you,” Mr. Cook said.
- Apple CEO Tim Cook Happy With New Apple Pay Service - Wall St. Journal - "Apple Inc. Chief Executive Tim Cook said more than one million credit cards were activated on the company’s new Apple Pay service within 72 hours of its debut last week."
- Alibaba Eyes Payments Tie-Up With Apple - Wall St. Journal - "Asked whether Alibaba would be interested in buying PayPal after it splits from parent eBay Inc., Mr. Ma demurred. “I have my Alipay,” he said."
- Softcard Mobile Payment Expands to McDonald's USA - "The scale and reach of McDonald's will drive mobile payments further into the mainstream and demonstrate the value Softcard delivers to both merchants and customers."
- You Can Now Order Taco Bell On Your iPhone - TechCrunch - "The company is prepped to announce that they’ve launched a mobile ordering application for iPhone and Android."
- SimplyTapp launches open source tokenization project - NFC World - “We don’t want to put any hindrance in the way of a bank launching cloud-based payments because they have to buy or rely on another ecosystem player for new technology..."
- Mobile Payments Still Facing the Same Big Obstacles - StreetFight - "What I found is that merchants just want to get paid, and anything getting in the way of that is discarded — fast. Their business is not technology, it’s servicing their customers in a timely manner..."
- The 10 Best Videos to Watch to Learn About Bitcoin
On the Wires:
- Kraken.com Launches USD, GBP Funding and GBP Trading in Partnership with PayCash - "The PayCash partnership allows Kraken to leverage its success with the euro market and bring its signature exchange experience back to the USD market, which has traditionally been the most popular market for trading bitcoin."
- ServInt Begins Accepting Bitcoin, Litecoin and Dogecoin as Payment for Its Managed Cloud Hosting Services - “As always, our top priority is making our customers’ lives as easy as possible, and a growing number have told us they prefer to transact their online business using web-based alternative currencies,” said ServInt COO Christian Dawson.
- Arthur Levitt Advises Bitcoin Companies: BitPay and Vaurum - “Bitcoin is a fascinating new product in the rapidly changing world of financial service,” said Levitt. “I hope to help BitPay and Vaurum blend their new business models with core monetary methods and transparency practices in order to ensure their long term success.”
Updates from Glenbrook:
- The next session of Glenbrook's Payments Boot Camp will be held Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA. Join us!
- Glenbrook's Bitcoin: Basics and Beyond Workshop will be held Nov 19 in New York City
- Money20/20 as become the go-to event in payments... we'll be there in force. The agenda is now available and the event is 90% sold out - if you've been waiting, it's time to register! Use this promo code to register and receive a 20% discount: "GLENBR20"
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews