ON THE WEB
- Will an iPhone App Make Your Bank Extinct? - Wall St. Journal - "Through the credit-card industry and the broader lending industry, banks kept customers on the brink of peak financial indebtedness with deliberately complex contracts and concepts like minimum payment, which is essentially a trap."
- Starbucks has more customer money on cards than many banks have in deposits - MarketWatch - "Starbucks ... had $1.2 billion loaded onto Starbucks cards and the Starbucks mobile app as of the first quarter of 2016, according to the data."
- White House Council of Economic Advisors: Financial Inclusion in the United States (PDF)"A lack of financial inclusion has broader consequences for the macroeconomy, having the potential to hurt both equity and efficiency by reducing access to credit, which can be essential for entrepreneurship, homeownership, and economic development more broadly." -
- The Federal Reserve system - Economist - "Most modern economies have just one central bank, empowered by the government. That America’s central bank is more complex is the result of a series of political compromises struck in 1913, when the Fed was formed, and then again in 1935, when it was reorganised."
ON THE WIRES
- VocaLink: Four of the UK’s biggest high street banks have signed up to launch “Pay by Bank app” Mobile payment service - David Yates, CEO VocaLink, said, “We’re delighted to announce our partnership with four of the UK’s biggest financial institutions, alongside the growing number of retailers who are supporting Pay by Bank app. This service is a convenient way to pay with your mobile and we look forward to working with a number of high street brands to bring Pay by Bank app to millions of UK banking customers."
- InstaMed Launches ERA/EFT Transaction Adoption Guarantee - “There is significant opportunity to eliminate the cost and hassle of paper checks and EOPs which benefits both payers and providers. The InstaMed Network is built to address this problem. Our national scale and market penetration allow us to connect providers and payers quickly, and our value proposition to both continues to increase as we build out the InstaMed Network."
- Wendy's Update On Unusual Credit Card Activity - "The Company believes this series of cybersecurity attacks resulted from certain service providers' remote access credentials being compromised, allowing access to the POS system in certain franchise restaurants serviced by those providers."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming this fall - in Palo Alto, CA and New York City - we hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - October 11-12
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Data in Payments - October 13
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!