On the Web
- Walmart Prepares to Enter Mobile Payments Business - New York Times - "Based on QR code technology, Walmart’s new payment system is meant to allow for a smoother trek through checkout lines, and to bridge the retailer’s e-commerce and in-store shopping experience."
- Wal-Mart to Offer Smartphone Payments in Stores - Wall St. Journal - "The retail behemoth is adding a feature to its existing mobile app so consumers can pay at the register with any payment information stored in their Walmart.com account, including gift cards, debit cards or credit cards."
- Edgecoin: Our Internal Blockchain for Founders - Medium (KPCB Edge) - "Today, we’re announcing Edgecoin — a private, permissioned blockchain we use as a ledger of record for founders. We started testing Edgecoin in early 2015 with founders in our portfolio and are now announcing it publicly as we begin scaling up the base of people using Edgecoin."
- Commonwealth Bank says blockchain may transform trade finance, share trading - Sydney Morning Herald - "Blockchain technology could transform trade financing, share trading and many other parts of banking and the broader economy, says the chief information officer of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia, David Whiteing."
On the Wires
- Walmart Introduces Walmart Pay - "”The Walmart app was built to make shopping faster and easier,” said Neil Ashe, president and CEO of Walmart Global eCommerce. “Walmart Pay is the latest example – and a powerful addition – of how we are transforming the shopping experience by seamlessly connecting online, mobile and stores for the 140 million customers who shop with us weekly.”"
- VocaLink and The Clearing House sign a groundbreaking deal to deliver national real-time payment services in the U.S. - James Aramanda, President and Chief Executive Officer at The Clearing House said: “Finalizing this partnership with VocaLink represents a significant milestone in our effort to make ubiquitous real-time payments a reality in the U.S. Once completed, customers will pay or receive money in real-time from any financial institution, and with its innovative extensible design the system will be built to provide the basis for payment solutions currently unimagined."
- Samsung Pay Makes It Easy to Purchase, Store, Use and Share Gift Cards Directly from Your Phone - "With the support of more than 50 major retail gift cards and the launch of the in-app gift card store, Samsung Pay is bringing consumers an easier way to use gift cards,” said Injong Rhee, EVP of Samsung Electronics, Global Head of Samsung Pay.
- SWIFT announces global payments innovation initiative - Gottfried Leibbrandt, CEO, SWIFT said: "Correspondent banking serves the industry with millions of secure cross-border payments day in, day out; with this initiative we are building on those strengths, enabling banks to provide distinctive cross-border payments services and providing real benefits to end customers. This is a critical step in cross-border payments innovation."
- Bank of America’s Year-End Millennial Snapshot Reveals the Great Recession and Family Experiences Impact Financial Attitudes - “The events taking place when millennials were coming of age are visibly impacting their financial decisions and behaviors. This will be especially apparent as they become the money managers for their households,” said John Jordan, Client Experience and Programs executive for Preferred and Small Business Banking at Bank of America.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!