On the Web:
- A First Look at the Target Intrusion, Malware - Krebs on Security - "Today’s post includes new information about the malware apparently used in the attack, according to two sources with knowledge of the matter."
- The Brave New World of Cyberheists - "In stark contrast is the biggest unarmed bank robbery in Washington state history, which took place nine months ago, and for which no one has yet been caught or named."
- Paper Or Plastic: How Americans Buy Stuff, In 1 Graph - Planet Money - "Among the findings: Americans use debit cards more often than any other form of payment. And they still use cash more often than credit cards."
- Banking Alert: Patent Lawsuits Against Community Banks Are Increasing Community Banking Connections - "Financial institutions should be aware of this issue. If they receive a demand letter alleging patent infringement, they should consult with their counsel for the best way to proceed."
- Silicon Valley VC Chris Dixon Thinks a Single Bitcoin Will Be Worth $100,000 - Wired Enterprise - "But, still, he admits that bitcoin is a highly speculative investment. He says he owns less than one bitcoin himself."
- Zapp Vs Pingit – the creation of the UK’s 3rd debit scheme? - Payments Cards and Mobile - "“If I walk into a shop and my options are Visa, MasterCard, Zapp or Pingit the merchant is going to actively push either Zapp or Pingit depending on who their acquirer is..."
- Bitcoin Foundation Responses to Post-Hearing Questions for the Record
- Did Ukrainians Almost Take Over Bitcoin? - Bloomberg View - "Last week, some independent miners noticed that GHash.io had grown so large that it controlled 45 percent of the Bitcoin network's processing power ..."
- Zapping through the mobile payments maze - FT.com Tech Hub
- Square Admits It Has Permanently Slashed Its iPad Stand’s Price to $99 - Re/code.net - "The pricing change is the second big one at Square in the last few months, following the elimination of the monthly pricing plan for its payment processing."
On the Wires:
- Leading Financial Institutions to support Zapp mobile payments for the good of the UK consumer and economy - ": Zapp today announces partnerships with many of the UK’s leading financial services brands to implement its innovative mobile payment service. HSBC, first direct, Nationwide, Santander and Metro Bank will roll out Zapp mobile payments to 18 million customers across the UK."
- Discover Offers Cardmembers 5% Cashback Bonus on Restaurants, Movies - "Now through March 31, 2014, Discover is offering 5% Cashback Bonus on up to $1,500 in restaurant and movie purchases, which includes movie theaters, video rental stores and online movie ticket and movie rental merchants."
- Aptito, LLC Announces Visa Ready Status for Their mPOS Solution - "The solution is a tablet-based POS that combines traditional POS functionality with mobile ordering, payments, social media, intelligent offers, mobile applications, loyalty, and transactional data all in one solution supported by Aptito’s cloud-based payments platform."
- Foregenix Security Essentials to Combat Cyber Attacks in Retail Environments - "FSE provides a pain-free experience in facilitating compliance and reducing real-world risk, allowing the merchant to focus on their core business."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: [email protected] or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Please forward press releases to: [email protected].
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews