On the Web:
- Jeremy Allaire: ‘Bitcoin Needs Greater Governance to Reach Mass Adoption’ - CoinDesk - "The future, according to Allaire, will require bitcoin to work with traditional financial institutions so that the technology can reach its full potential."
- My Bitcoin Befuddlement - New York Times (John Schwartz) - "But what bothers me is this: When billionaires fight, shouldn’t it be with weaponry more impressive than tweets?"
- Square Also Just Got Hundreds of Millions in Credit — So What’s Up With Debt Financing? - Re/code.net - "The new funding for the payments startup was first reported by CNBC, in a deal led by Goldman Sachs, with Morgan Stanley, J.P. Morgan, Barclays and Silicon Valley Bank participating."
- The Fifth Protocol - StartupBoy.com - "Eventually, there will be no functioning Internet or Internet of Things at the protocol layer without deep cryptocurrency integration. Turning off this fifth protocol will be impossible."
- What Is The Carbon Footprint Of A Bitcoin? - CoinDesk (Danny Bradbury) - "Just how much carbon dioxide do we produce when we mine a bitcoin?"
- Cryptex’s Debit Card Aims to Widen Bitcoiners’ Spending Options - WSJ MoneyBeat - "A new debit card-based digital currency service aims to get around one of the biggest problems faced by holders of bitcoin..."
- Canada Puts Halt to MintChip Plans; Could Sell Digital Currency Program - WSJ Canada Real Time - "The Royal Canadian Mint said Friday it’s halting development of its fledgling MintChip digital currency program..."
On the Wires:
- The Federal Reserve's Retail Payments Office Supports Renewed Pursuit of Same-Day ACH Settlement - "The Federal Reserve's Retail Payments Office fully supports the recent announcement by NACHA – The Electronic Payments Association® that it is taking initial steps toward a ubiquitous, same-day ACH settlement capability for virtually any ACH network transaction."
- Samir Zabaneh Joins Heartland Payment Systems as CFO - "Prior to joining Heartland, Samir served as Chief Financial and Strategy Officer as well as Chief Operating Officer for Moneris Solutions Corporation, Canada’s leading payment processor, based in Toronto."
- INSIDE Secure Acquires Metaforic, Gaining Access to Key Technologies for Enabling Cloud-Based Mobile Payments Security With Host Card Emulation (HCE) - "Metaforic brings critical technologies to address HCE-based, cloud-based mobile payment solutions which will become mainstream following support announced by major payment brands."
- TSYS’ Vietnamese Client Goes Live with Biometric Solution - "TSYS announced today that its leading Vietnamese client, Vietnam Export Import Commercial Joint Stock Bank — Vietnam Eximbank, has begun to deploy fingerprint authentication technology for over-the-counter or ATM transactions."
- "TSYS Partners with Oversight to Strengthen Corporate Card Program Auditing - "TSYS announced today an agreement with Oversight Systems to provide an automated monitoring and analysis solution to help corporate purchasing professionals detect and eliminate fraud, policy misuse, and waste within their card programs."
- BofA Merrill Further Extends Chip and PIN Technology to Corporate and Commercial Card Portfolio - "The bank began issuing chip-enabled purchasing cards in 2013. Together with T&E cards, more than 100,000 chip and PIN cards across the portfolio have been issued to clients in the United States alone. That number will grow as all newly issued credit cards for middle-market and large corporate clients will feature EMV technology."
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch Introduces CashPro® BillPay - "CashPro BillPay helps small- to medium-sized companies move to a paper-free payments process that allows more automation, control and precision in payments timing and cash flow."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: May 6-7 and Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews