On the Web:
- Chip-Card Rollout Has Banks, Retailers Scrambling - Wall St. Journal - "Some 575 million of the new cards—representing about three-quarters of U.S. credit cards and about 40% of debit cards—are expected to be in the wallets of American consumers by year-end, making it the biggest rollout of new cards in decades."
- Why We Still Use Checkbooks to Pay the Rent - Bloomberg - "Despite the convenience to landlords and tenants of managing lease payments digitally, 70 percent of U.S. renters still pay by check, according to PayLease, another e-rent facilitator."
- Costco Gets a Lift by Adding Card Acceptance to Food Courts - Digital Transactions - "Costco quickly saw big lifts in average tickets at the food courts—PIN-debit sales came in 40% higher than the average cash ticket, and the average AmEx ticket was 50% higher than the average cash sale."
- India Tech Startups: Seven Things That Blew My Mind - Re/code.net (Jason Del Rey) - "You’ll hear more from me in the coming weeks as I document my visit. For now, here’s some of the stuff that surprised this first-time visitor to India’s thriving tech scene."
- Raytheon to Plow $1.7 Billion Into New Cyber Venture - Wall St. Journal - "Raytheon Chief Executive Tom Kennedy said the threat of cyberattacks such as the one suffered last year by Target Corp. is increasing as cloud computing and mobile services make companies more vulnerable to costly electronic intrusions by state-sponsored hackers, terrorists, organized crime or insiders."
- Bitcoin Vs. Wall Street: A Love-Hate Story - TechCrunch - "Wall Street’s influence can bring bitcoin to the mainstream, and bitcoin can help bankers provide better banking services that are efficient and trustworthy."
On the Wires:
- Capital One and Uber Partner to Bring Simplicity and Savings to Customers - "We're thrilled to partner with Capital One, a company that shares our vision of creating elegant, simple solutions to meet important consumer needs," said David Richter, Vice President, Strategic Initiatives, Uber. "Together, we'll provide a meaningful combination of savings and convenience to millions of customers."
- Vodafone M-Pesa and MTN Mobile Money Agree to Interconnect Mobile Money Services - "This interconnect collaboration between the region’s two biggest mobile money operators will enable convenient and affordable international remittances between M-Pesa customers in Kenya, Tanzania, Democratic Republic of Congo and Mozambique, and MTN Mobile Money customers in Uganda, Rwanda and Zambia."
- PayPal Announces Two Strong Additions to PayPal Leadership Team - "Louise Pentland will become PayPal’s new General Counsel." "Jonathan Auerbach has been named PayPal’s Senior Vice President of Strategy and Growth."
- AICPA Survey: One-in-Four Americans Victimized by Information Security Breaches - “The increase in data breaches affecting personal information has given consumers significant cause to be cautious about their activities, both online and off,” said Ernie Almonte, chair of the AICPA’s National CPA Financial Literacy Commission. “Data breaches have the potential to seriously affect consumers’ finances and wreak havoc on their credit scores. The good news is that we are seeing Americans taking steps to safeguard their information and reduce their susceptibility to these attacks.”
- Protect Your Bubble Improves the Customer Experience with Vindicia CashBox - “At Vindicia, we’re proud to be a part of the way Protect Your Bubble improves the experience of purchasing protection plans for consumers,” said Bryta Schulz, senior vice president of marketing for Vindicia. “CashBox overcomes the billing complexities that can frustrate consumers. Billing processes are more efficient with CashBox, but more importantly, it supports higher levels of customer satisfaction and retention.”
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next spring Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for May 19-20 in Menlo Park, California followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on May 21 on the topic of The New Point of Sale.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
- Click here to share PaymentsNews with a friend
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews