On the Web:
- A Different Type of Start Up: Payments in Afghanistan - PaymentsViews.com (Elizabeth McQuerry) - "This is an inspiring story of bankers striving towards greater financial inclusion for their country’s citizens while building the base for electronic payments. The pay off here will almost certainly require years to be realized."
- PayPal Holdings files Form 10 with the SEC - Late yesterday afternoon, PayPal Holdings filed its Form 10 information about the PayPal spinout process from eBay, details on PayPal’s stand-alone financials, and on the operating agreements between PayPal and eBay going forward.
- Inside PayPal's Microlending Program - Entrepreneur - "Since launching the Working Capital program, PayPal has paid out more than $200 million, granting some 35,000 loans to 20,000 U.S. small businesses. Last fall, PayPal expanded the program to the U.K. and Australia."
- Credit cards in America - Slowing charge - Economist - "Nonetheless, there are signs that the go-go years are gone: growth is tapering off, the margins received on lending are declining, and the cost of attracting customers is rising—even though America’s economy is on the up."
- Boku Introduces “Phone-on-File” to Compete with Credit Cards on One-Time and Subscription Based Purchases - “A key element to the strength of companies like Amazon and Apple has been their ability to create frictionless checkout experiences using stored credit card information,” said Jon Prideaux, Boku CEO. “This is that same experience that Boku is bringing to the mobile phone number with Phone-on-File. Our goal is to make stored ‘phone-on-file’ every bit as powerful as a ‘card-on-file’ for the benefit of our merchant partners.”
- Barclays pushes for social commerce with Twitter payments feature - Mobile Commerce Daily - "The Barclays Pingit app enables users to transmit payments to anyone with a mobile phone number in Britain, customize payments with messages or photos, send gift cards and make donations, among other features."
On the Wires:
- Visa Partners with Financial Institutions Across the Globe to Enable Mobile Payment Services - “2015 is the year in which fast and safe mobile payments based on Visa technology will proliferate across the world,” said Sam Shrauger, senior vice president of digital solutions at Visa Inc. “We are very proud that Visa’s Digital Solution is now accessible to the broader market to be used across multiple devices and form factors – enabling secure, fast and engaging commerce experiences in any environment.”
- CARDFREE Reaches Over 2 Million Consumers on Platform and Expands to International Markets - “With our team’s pedigree in the QSR space, we’ve been able to gain the largest competitive market share with top-50 QSRs in relatively short order,” explained Jon Squire, founder and chief executive officer of CARDFREE. “We’re excited to add international markets into the mix and to broaden our reach to other high volume verticals such as convenience and grocery."
- Box Brings Financial Services Industry Securely to the Cloud - “Because of the highly sensitive nature of the data it deals with and the strict compliance standards it’s held to, the Financial Services industry has been slow to embrace cloud and mobile technologies,” said Aaron Levie, co-founder and CEO, Box. “However, leading firms are recognizing that mature cloud platforms not only offer agility and productivity, but also an opportunity for better security and visibility around their most valuable content. With Box for Financial Services, we’re making sure security and compliance concerns are no longer hurdles to information sharing and collaboration.”
- Move over Selfies, Bank of the West Customers Use Their Smartphone Cameras to Pay Bills with Snap-to-Pay from Fiserv - “Our customers can now use their smartphone cameras to add a new bill for payment in about 30 seconds. Because the process is so quick and simple, we envision customers using this method to add new bills into bill pay regardless of if they plan to pay those bills online or on their phone,” said Jamie Armistead, executive vice president of Digital Channels, Bank of the West.
- First Data Appoints Dan Charron as Executive Vice President, Global Business Solutions - “For nearly a quarter century, I’ve admired First Data from many angles, as competitor, joint venture partner, client, vendor, and now as part the team working to transform the business,” said Dan Charron. “I look forward to working across multiple functions and geographies to provide First Data’s six million clients across the world with the products, services and solutions they need to grow their business,” Charron added.
- Verifi Adds Chris Derossi as New Chief Technology Officer - "Derossi brings a wealth of technology and payments experience to his new position at Verifi. Most recently, he was Chief Technology Officer at Ultimate Gaming, where he launched the first regulated and licensed online poker site in the United States."
- Sisense Appoints Amir Orad Chief Executive Officer - "I am very excited to be appointed as the new CEO of Sisense and lead its winning team," said Mr. Orad. "Sisense is a successful innovative company with great people, cutting-edge technologies, and a fast growing loyal customer base. I am a big believer in the significant opportunity presented by the availability of massive amounts of complex data and how data driven companies can unlock great value from such information using Sisense's technology."
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education Schedule Now Available!
- Our payments education schedule for this year is now available. Our spring Payments Boot Camp sessions begin in Menlo Park, CA on March 3-4 followed by New York City on April 14-15. We're also holding two one-day Insight Workshops this spring - B2B Payments on March 5 in Menlo Park and Faster Payments on April 16 in New York City.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
- Click here to share PaymentsNews with a friend
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews