On the Web:
- Look Who’s Talking Now - PaymentsViews.com (Russ Jones) - "My interest in “voice” stems from my belief that as microprocessors get smaller and faster, the user interface as we know it will fade into the background. The visual display will go away, the tap and swipe interface will go away, and you will simply talk with devices in a conversational way."
- Tomorrow's Advance Man - Marc Andreessen’s plan to win the future - New Yorker - "He believes that Silicon Valley is mission control for mankind, which is therefore on a steep trajectory toward perfection. And when he so argues, fire-hosing you with syllogisms and data points and pre-refuting every potential rebuttal, he’s very persuasive."
- Visa Said in Talks to Buy Visa Europe for Up to $20 Billion - Bloomberg - "Visa and its European counterpart split in 2007 ahead of the U.S. firm’s initial public offering. Analysts have been speculating for years that they could merge."
- A Bitcoin Technology Gets Nasdaq Test - Wall St. Journal - “Utilizing the blockchain is a natural digital evolution for managing physical securities,” said Nasdaq Chief Executive Robert Greifeld. He said the technology holds the potential to “benefit not only our clients, but the broader global capital markets.”
- Why Bitcoin Could Be Much More Than a Currency - MIT Technology Review - "For years after TCP/IP was invented, the technology was accessible only to people with a certain level of technical knowledge. Similarly, right now Bitcoin is too arcane for most people and challenging to use even for those who are familiar with it."
- Visa’s Real-Time Window Into How Americans Spend - Visa Corporate Tumblr - "Visa has released its first publicly available Retail Spending Monitor Report (RSM), which offers a monthly assessment of U.S. retail spending overall and for a variety of individual merchant categories."
- Even Goldman Sachs wants to jump on the online lending bandwagon - Quartz - "Harit Talwar, who recently left his post as head of card services at Discover after 15 years, will be leading a new effort for the bank to lend money to consumers and small businesses over the Internet..."
On the Wires:
- R-CISC, the Retail Cyber Intelligence Sharing Center, Signs Strategic Agreement With FS-ISAC to Leverage Services & Technologies for Growth - “In less than a year, R-CISC has made significant advances in its information sharing mission and now we’re launching the next phase of maturity and growth,” says Brian Engle, R-CISC Executive Director. “Partnering with FS-ISAC is a surefire way to help accelerate new tools and offerings to retailers. With this collaboration also comes a greater opportunity for both intra-sector and sector-to-sector sharing.”
- Heartland Introduces Heartland Secure™ for Restaurants - “Protecting customers is our number one priority and our Heartland Secure solution will cover a restaurant’s payment card industry fines and fees in the case of a breach of card information. The Heartland Secure technology that we pioneered materially reduces the opportunity for criminals to monetize encrypted card data. Restaurant operators with Heartland Secure-certified devices, who are processing with us, are fully protected by our comprehensive breach warranty.”
- New ACI Worldwide Survey Validates Demand for Same Day Money Transfers - “Same Day ACH provides an option for the consumers, businesses and governments that want to move their money faster,” said Janet O. Estep, president and CEO, NACHA. “It provides an immediate solution for moving payments faster and creates a building block for tomorrow’s products and services. The ACI survey results clearly demonstrate continued industry support for Same Day ACH and underscore the value and importance of the initiative to better meet the needs of customers.”
- Oberthur Technologies to Launch SMART PREMIERE, a Unique Range of Luxury Payment Cards - "With SMART PREMIERE, we have designed a value-added offer to help banks meet their most challenging customers’ needs with high-end products and build specific offers for each customer category. This strengthens our ability to supply them with turnkey solutions to be their long-term privileged partner“ said Eric Duforest, Managing Director of the Payment Business Unit at OT."
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next spring Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for May 19-20 in Menlo Park, California followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on May 21 on the topic of The New Point of Sale.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
- Click here to share PaymentsNews with a friend
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews