On the Web:
- Can RBC’s digital wallet beat Apple? - Globe and Mail - "The system doesn’t require the bank to share vital and valuable customer data with retailers, phone manufacturers or wireless service providers. RBC considers it to be a world-beating new technology, one that will make the bank a global player in the processing of mobile payments."
- India Banking: Downwardly mobile - Economist - "The scheme’s initial goal has been surpassed: 120m accounts have been opened. Arun Jaitley, the finance minister, has claimed that almost every household in India now has access to banking."
- With a Few Bits of Data, Researchers Identify ‘Anonymous’ People - New York Times - "In the study, titled “Unique in the Shopping Mall: On the Reidentifiability of Credit Card Metadata,” a group of data scientists analyzed credit card transactions made by 1.1 million people in 10,000 stores over a three-month period."
- Now available in the UK: Send and request money right from Gmail - Google Commerce Blog - "Since we announced Send Money in Gmail, paying back your friends has never been so simple, whether you’re chipping in for lunch or reimbursing your housemate for your share of the rent. Today, we're excited to make this feature available for Gmail users in the UK."
- The debit card fee driving US banks crazy – and costing consumers more than they realize - Guardian - "Here’s the problem, which most of us can relate to: banks love fees. But banks can’t levy a fee that isn’t “reasonable and proportional” to the cost of processing the transaction. That’s the rule under the terms of the Durbin amendment, which is part of the Dodd-Frank package of Wall Street banking reforms."
- Retailers must embrace in-store pickup - Mobile Commerce Daily (John Pincott) - "Research by PricewaterhouseCoopers and AT Kearney shows that 80 percent of customers research their purchases online, but 75 percent of consumers still prefer to buy products in a physical store."
On the Wires:
- Visa Europe: Record spend, transaction volume and e-commerce levels as revenues rise in 2014 - "Gross revenues grew 9% year-on-year to €1.9 billion while profits of €344 million were €80m higher than last year. This enables Visa Europe to invest more than €200 million in new payments technologies to accelerate the growth of digital payments."
- PULSE Introduces New Brand Identity to Support Expanded Payments Solutions - “PULSE and the debit landscape have both changed considerably in recent years, and it was time for our brand identity to reflect those changes,” said PULSE President Dave Schneider. “At the same time, millions of cardholders know to look for the familiar PULSE logo at the point of sale and on ATMs, so our new look builds upon our existing strong brand equity.”
- BitGo Launches Platform API to Secure and Scale the Next Generation of Bitcoin Businesses - “The BitGo Platform API can help businesses, both large and small, focus their development resources on core competencies and product differentiation while security is managed by the specialists. Now is the opportunity to create a bitcoin ecosystem free from hacks that plagued the industry over the last few years.”
- VantageScore Solutions Announces Major Strides in Market Adoption - “With this surge in market adoption, the consumer finance industry, including the largest banks in the country, clearly have voted for choice in the marketplace and are taking advantage of the transformative differentiators offered by the VantageScore model,” said Barrett Burns, president and CEO of VantageScore Solutions.
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education Schedule Now Available!
- Our payments education schedule for this year is now available. Our spring Payments Boot Camp sessions begin in Menlo Park, CA on March 3-4 followed by New York City on April 14-15. We're also holding two one-day Insight Workshops this spring - B2B Payments on March 5 in Menlo Park and Payments for the Unbanked on April 16 in New York City.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
- Click here to share PaymentsNews with a friend
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews