On the Web:
- Bitcoin and Payments Survey 2014 - PaymentsViews.com (George Peabody) - "So, take the survey. And help us get the word out. Let your friends know any way you can. The more participants, the better the results."
- Indian E-Commerce Firm Flipkart Raises Eye-Popping $1 Billion - New York Times Dealbook - "Flipkart is an online marketplace that offers more than 70 categories of goods and services, from electronics to books."
- Introducing the PayPal App for the Amazon Fire Phone - "We are creating payment experiences that enable easier, and more human, everyday transactions, removing barriers and providing more possibilities to pay around the world."
- Blackhawk Network's Talbott Roche helped push gift cards into the mainstream - San Jose Mercury News - "We know we are having an impact," Roche said. "We are inventing solutions for consumers to make their life easier. And we're not just doing it in a vacuum. We're doing it with a team. That is very satisfying."
- Mobile money statistics and comparison of UK with US, Japan and more - Financial Services Club Blog (Chris Skinner) - "90% of US bankers surveyed expected at least a 10% decline in branch numbers over the next 5 years, with 45% expecting the decline to be 25% or more. Branch numbers have declined 9% in just the last 3 years."
- Hilton hotels to let you use your iPhone as your hotel key from next year - 9 to 5 Mac - "With the new system, iPhone check-in will send a key code to your phone which can then be used to unlock your door."
On the Wires:
- American Express Reports Second Quarter EPS of $1.43, Up 13 Percent from a Year Ago; Revenues, Loans and Card Member Spending Increase; Gain from Business Travel Transaction Largely Reinvested in Business - “The strong underlying performance this quarter reflected a continuation of some familiar themes: higher Card Member spending, credit metrics at or near their historic lows, a modest increase in loan balances, continued success in containing operating expenses and a substantial return of capital to our investors through share repurchases,” said Kenneth I. Chenault, chairman and chief executive officer.
- Minnesota Twins Fans Benefit from New Mobile Feature from U.S. Bank - “The technology improves an applicant’s user experience by eliminating the need to type in much of the required information, helps increase data accuracy, and improves security over paper processes,” said Dominic Venturo, chief innovation officer for U.S. Bank Payment Services. “We’re pleased to partner with the Minnesota Twins on this initiative and other innovative tools to make payments faster, easier and more rewarding.”
- InstaMed Member Payments Transforms the Healthcare Payments Experience for Consumers, Providers and Payers - "Member Payments enables consumers to pay all of their healthcare providers directly from their payer’s member portal as soon as claims are adjudicated. Consumers can easily make payments from a secure digital wallet that stores a consumer’s preferred payment method, including payment cards, bank accounts and healthcare spending accounts such as HSA and FSA accounts."
- Recognized As The “Best of The Best,” First American Payment Systems Wins the ATSI Call Center Award of Distinction - "Winning the Call Center Award of Distinction again is a tremendous honor and a momentous achievement for First American,” said Latiffa Sharpe, Vice President of Merchant Services for First American Payment Systems.
- U.S. Bank Unveils Multiple Enhancements to Boost Cardless Business Travel Payments - “Research shows that travel buyers and suppliers are looking for the benefits provided by single use virtual accounts, but often don’t realize they’re available,” said U.S. Bank Travel Product Manager Mary Miklethun. “The enhancements we’re now introducing, making such accounts even more secure and easier to use, promise to widen their appeal and bring them into the business travel mainstream.”
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.; Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Money2020 has become the go-to event in payments. We'll be there in force... will you? Use this promo code to register "GLENBR20"
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews