On the Web:
- Payments on Fire Podcase #25 – Directory Service for Virtual Currencies - PaymentsViews.com - Glenbrook's George Peabody interviews Justin Newton and Dawn Newton - founders of Netki.
- Why Fintech Is One of the Most Promising Industries of 2015 - Inc. (Maria Aspan) - "WePay is one of many finance-oriented startups dominating the rankings: From the financial services category alone, four are in the top 20 and 27 on the list overall, with a combined $850.7 million in 2014 revenue."
- Give your business a contactless boost with PayPal Here – wherever you trade - PayPal UK Blog - "The news keeps coming thick and fast here at PayPal. This time it’s a welcome boost for the nation’s small businesses, as our NFC-enabled PayPal Here card reader goes on sale today."
- Apple Pay Competitor CurrentC May Not Launch Until Next Year - Re/code.net - "CurrentC, the payments app being created by a consortium of big retailers known as MCX, may not launch widely this year as originally planned, MCX CEO Brian Mooney told Re/code in an interview on Tuesday."
- Visa Exploring Bitcoin and Blockchain Technology - NewsBTC - “India will soon have teams that will jointly work with our two research labs in US and Singapore in studying the many aspects of blockchain,” said Visa executive vice president of technology Rajat Taneja.
- India’s Smartphone Market Is Booming – Especially at the Low End - Wall St. Journal India Real-time Blog - "IDC predicts the average selling price of Indian smartphones will fall to $102 in 2018 from $135 in 2014."
- Mobile wallet fraud set to rise in India: Deloitte - Economic Times - "About 17 million Indians use mobile money platforms offered by banks. While these are promising numbers that indicate economic development, users of mobile money platforms need to be cognizant of the fraud risks associated with these transactions," said Rohit Mahajan, senior director and head, forensic, financial advisory, Deloitte India.
- Target exec predicts growth 2x industry average due to mobile innovation - Mobile Commerce Daily - “Consumers do not think of themselves as a customer of Target.com versus being a customer at one of our stores,” said Jason Goldberger, president of Target.com and mobile at Target. “They just care about shopping with Target."
- With new EMV cards, tipping is about to get a lot more awkward - Omaha.com - "Paying with a chip card will require customers to either tell servers a tip amount before a transaction is authorized or ask customers to key in a tip themselves if an establishment has a tableside checkout terminal."
On the Wires:
- FIS to Acquire SunGard, Deepens Enterprise Banking and Capital Markets Solutions - “This is a significant milestone for FIS,” stated Gary Norcross, president and chief executive officer, FIS. “By bringing together two innovative companies with common business models, similar cultures, strong leadership and complementary solutions, we are enhancing our ability to empower our clients and deepen client relationships through an expanded full-service offering."
- Payoneer Announces Completion of $50 Million Share Purchase by New and Existing Institutional Investors - "We have seen strong interest by many top-tier investors who believe in our vision to transform cross-border commerce by connecting businesses worldwide on an innovative financial platform," said Scott Galit, CEO of Payoneer. "We are very pleased to add a high-quality institutional investor like Wellington Management Company to our shareholder base."
- Geoswift Joins Forces with UnionPay International and Western Union Business Solutions to Offer Tuition Payment Promotion - “Students studying abroad and their families are important customers. UnionPay International is dedicated to creating an all-dimensional payment service system for overseas students. Featuring security and convenience, the system covers a series of services including tuition payment, daily withdrawal and card swiping, establishment of student grant and other relevant services,” said Cai Jianbo, CEO, UnionPay International.
- European Issuers Can Thrive in a Tokenisation-Enabled Ecosystem - “Another positive indicator for m-payments’ rise in Europe is the success of existing mobile payment programs,” said John Goodale, group executive, product and market development, TSYS International. “The proliferation of alternative payment services in Europe in recent years suggests a growing consumer interest in and demand for such alternatives.”
- Perk.com Inc. Provides Users with Greater Flexibility in Redeeming Perk Points Through the Launch of Perk Plastik - "Perk.com, a cloud-based mobile rewards platform provider, announced today the launch of Perk Plastik, a new prepaid debit card that runs via the Discover Network, allows users to convert Perk Points into money available to be used at any retail or online establishment."
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for October 13-14 in Palo Alto, California followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on October 15 on the topic of Global Payments.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!