On the Web:
- Toward Better Privacy, Data Breach Laws - Krebs on Security - "President Obama on Monday outlined a proposal that would require companies to inform their customers of a data breach within 30 days of discovering their information has been hacked. But depending on what is put in and left out of any implementing legislation, the effort could well lead to more voluminous but less useful disclosure."
- Stanford to host White House Summit on Cybersecurity and Consumer Protection - Stanford News - "The White House announced Tuesday that it will host a Summit on Cybersecurity and Consumer Protection at Stanford on Feb. 13, convening major stakeholders to help shape public and private sector efforts to protect consumers and companies from growing network threats."
On the Wires:
- Gujarat State Government and MasterCard sign Memorandum of Understanding to Accelerate Electronic Payments - “This MOU represents a joint effort to drive innovation and development of electronic payments in Gujarat, in line with the State Government’s goal to make Gujarat the first digital payments state in India. MasterCard will leverage its global expertise to deliver new innovations and the right payment systems, and we are looking forward to seeing fruitful results from this collaboration,” said Ari Sarker, Division President, South Asia & Country Corporate Officer, India at MasterCard.
- First Data and UL Collaborate to Simplify EMV™ Adoption for Retailers - “Coupled with a multi-layered security program that includes tokens and encryption, EMV adoption will greatly reduce the threat of fraudulent payments at the point of sale, but the implementation can be complex and burdensome. We believe this collaboration with UL will help to simplify the process a merchant must complete to certify compliance with EMV standards.”
- Elavon Joins Verizon Partner Program - “This powerful combination makes the era of Big Data accessible and relevant for small businesses,” said Elavon’s President of North America Guy Harris. “By building in robust customer loyalty and security features more commonly found in high-end POS options, this user-friendly solution enables SMBs to serve their customers better while providing business insights to help them compete more effectively.”
- Intuit Launches QuickBooks Online Self-Employed to Serve Freelancers, Independent Contractors - “As the on-demand economy continues to expand, there will be unprecedented income opportunities for freelancers. But this work comes with a host of new challenges: co-mingled and confusing business expenses, quarterly and year-end tax headaches, and a general lack of visibility into their ‘real income’,” said Alex Chriss, vice president and general manager of Self-Employed Solutions at Intuit.
- TSYS Releases Insights on Payment Preferences of Business Travelers and Travel Administrators - “One surprising finding is that despite high satisfaction with corporate travel card programs among both business travelers and travel administrators, personal card usage among business travelers remains high,” said author Christina Hall, senior product development manager, TSYS Commercial Services. “Additionally, the technologies that business travelers use in their personal banking and credit card relationships greatly influence expectations for their corporate credit cards.”
- Fitch: AmEx, Discover Can Manage EU Card Interchange Fee Caps - "Fitch believes increased regulation could have some unintended consequences. For example, card members could face higher fees and/or reduced benefits as banks re-assess these programs and seek to maintain appropriate profitability targets. Fitch believes these could potentially take the form of annual membership fees, account maintenance or other fees and/or more limited rewards."
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education Schedule Now Available!
Updates from Glenbrook:
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org