ON THE WEB
- Wells Fargo holds 2016 Investor Day
- Swift Moves to Harden Customers’ Security - Wall St. Journal - "Gottfried Leibbrandt, chief executive of the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication, said audits will be part of a new set of standards for how customers should protect their systems and software."
- Coinbase Exchange is now GDAX, Adds Ether Trading - Coinbase Blog - "We believe Ethereum marks an inflection point for the industry. Ethereum’s advanced scripting language enables new developments such as self-executing contracts, decentralized funding models, and autonomous governance structures."
- SigFig locks in big banking partners for its tech-enhanced advisory services with $40 million round - TechCrunch - "The new round is a testament to the company’s belief that partnering with large financial institutions is the best way to get better financial advisory tools into the hands of the investors who need them, according to chief executive Michael Sha."
- Ethereum, explained: why Bitcoin's stranger cousin is now worth $1 billion - Vox - "The growing excitement about Ethereum reflects the fact that it's a lot more than just a Bitcoin clone. People can use the Ethereum network to make payments, just as they can with Bitcoin. But the network can do a lot more than that."
- Google plans to bring password-free logins to Android apps by year-end - TechCrunch - "With Project Abacus, users would instead unlock devices or sign into applications based on a cumulative “Trust Score.” This score would be calculated using a variety of factors, including your typing patterns, current location, speed and voice patterns, facial recognition, and other things."
- Indians taking to gift cards over cash, physical gifts - Livemint - “Cash is seen as too impersonal. With a gift card, you can decide on a brand or an e-commerce platform and your loved one can decide the gift,” said Pratap T.P., co-founder and chief marketing officer, QwikCilver.
- MasterCard Wants To Power Payments In Robots - Fortune - “We’re trying to be at forefront of the explosion of connected devices,” explained Betty DeVita, MasterCard’s chief commercial officer. “It’s going to be yet another way for consumers to connect with the MasterCard brand.”
ON THE WIRES
- SWIFT CEO reveals Customer Security Programme at industry conference - "Let me turn to the recent fraud at Bangladesh that has caught multiple headlines. I think it will prove to be a watershed event for the banking industry; there will be a before and an after Bangladesh."
- Wells Fargo Wallet to Launch for Wells Fargo Customers - “Today we’re pleased to announce Wells Fargo Wallet for Android users, giving customers the unique ability to make secure NFC payments directly from the Wells Fargo mobile app,” said Jim Smith, head of Virtual Channels for Wells Fargo. “We know mobile is key to the future of payments, and we expect Wells Fargo Wallet to provide us a richer understanding of the quickly evolving landscape.”
- MasterCard Powers First Commerce Application within SoftBank Robotics’ Humanoid Robot “Pepper” - “Consumers have come to expect personalized service, customized offers and simple and seamless processes both in-store and online,” said Tobias Puehse, vice president, innovation management, Digital Payments & Labs at MasterCard. “The app’s goal is to provide consumers with more memorable and personalized shopping experience beyond today’s self-serve machines and kiosks, by combining Pepper’s intelligence with a secure digital payment experience via MasterPass.”
- TCF Bank Introduces ZEO Prepaid Card and Cash Services for Consumers - "Whether it’s through our prepaid card, check cashing, bill payment or money transfer offerings, ZEO broadens consumer access to the banking system and delivers these products and services in the setting of our bank branches.”
- LexisNexis® Risk Solutions 2016 True Cost of Fraud(SM) Study Finds Fraudulent Retail Transactions Up Sharply Year Over Year - Notes LexisNexis Risk Solutions Director of eCommerce and Payments and study author, Aaron Press: "Merchants leveraging remote channels experience a disproportionate amount of fraud, and they are especially challenged in the mobile channel."
- Revel Systems Announces Integration with Expensify - "By integrating with Expensify, Revel is giving end users who are purchasing goods and services from a Revel client’s point-of-sale the ability to send receipts directly into Expensify, skipping the inbox entirely."
- ACI Worldwide Awarded Technical Vendor Accreditation to Provide Access to Faster Payments in the UK - "With the ‘trust mark’ accreditation, ACI has been officially recognized by FPSL as one of the ‘technical aggregators’ that helps payment and financial institutions gain access to real-time Faster Payments in a single or multi-tenant environment through FPSL’s New Access Model."
PAYMENTS IN PORTLAND
- Join us for the next Payments in Portland (Oregon) event being held on Tuesday, June 7th. Details here!
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming this fall - in Palo Alto, CA and New York City - we hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - October 11-12
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Data in Payments - October 13
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!