- The last Glenbrook Payments Boot Camp of 2014 is being held next week, December 9 and 10, in Palo Alto, California. Our Payments Boot Camp provides a comprehensive introduction to the payments systems in the U.S., an overview of global payments, and lots of insights into what's happening in emerging payments. Join Carol Coye Benson and me for this final session of the year! - register here!
On the Web:
- Banks’ Lawsuits Against Target for Losses Related to Hacking Can Continue - New York Times - "A United States District Judge in Minnesota, Paul A. Magnuson, rejected Target’s bid to dismiss lawsuits by financial institutions that claim Target had played a “key role” in allowing its computer systems to be compromised."
- New wave of credit card fraudsters opt for in-store pickup option - ArsTechnica - "...instead of directing the shipments to drop points that might draw the attention of fraud detection algorithms and law enforcement, they’re taking advantage of the latest “gotta have it now” approach to online shopping—the “in-store pickup” option."
- Banks: Credit Card Breach at Bebe Stores - Krebs on Security - "Data gathered from several financial institutions and at least one underground cybercrime shop suggest that thieves have stolen credit and debit card data from Bebe Stores Inc., a nationwide chain of some 200 women’s clothing stores."
- Four Months After Acquisition, Square Launches iOS App For Food Delivery Service Caviar - TechCrunch - "While Square is best known for its mobile credit card reader, over time it has added a number of apps to enable and extract payments, as well as new services like ordering ahead and food delivery."
- Starbucks Schools Silicon Valley (Again) With Launch of iPhone Ordering - Wired - "Portland is the beta city for what Starbucks is calling “Mobile Order & Pay.”"
- Amazon Has Launched A GrubHub Rival For Food Takeout & Delivery - TechCrunch - "We have tried out different addresses in Amazon Local and it looks like for now it’s only live in Seattle..."
- Does EMV guarantee electronic transaction security? - Ingenico Blog - "The reality is that there is no single solution today that meets the security requirements of every card-present, card-not-present, attended, unattended, quick service, fine dining, and other electronic payment environment."
- How HelloBit Plans to Become the Uber for Global Remittance - CoinDesk - "Instead of creating infrastructure that enables global bitcoin payments, HelloBit has built a consumer app that will connect bitcoin senders to local exchangers. Users can connect with these exchangers, be they individuals or businesses, and receive payments in local currency."
- Bluetooth 4.2 Core Specifications Finalized - Anandtech - "The Bluetooth specifications have an advantage though in that they will not necessarily require new hardware. Many of these features can be added via software updates because the existing radio technology is not changing."
On the Wires:
- ETA Announces 2015 Board of Directors - “I am thrilled to be leading ETA during such a transformative time in our industry,” said Debra Rossi, Executive Vice President of Wells Fargo and Company and ETA’s 2015 Board President. “I look forward to working with my fellow Board Members to build upon ETA’s continued momentum and success.”
- Earthport And Ripple Labs Announce Global Partnership To Improve The Efficiency And Speed Of Cross-Border Payments - "Earthport’s new offering will integrate the Ripple protocol alongside its payments network and platform, bringing a wider choice to financial institutions, in particular to optimize their liquidity management and minimize the need to pre-fund a payment account while executing cross-border transactions."
- ChangeTip Raises $3.5M for Global Social Media P2P and P2B Micropayment Platform Development - "Bitcoin investment firm Pantera Capital is leading the round, with participation from Bold Start Ventures, DCG, CryptoCurrency Partners, 500 Startups, and others."
- Elavon and Bank of the West Extend 21-Year Marketing Alliance - "Under the terms, the bank’s existing and new merchant customers can take advantage of innovative, simple and secure payment solutions, including credit and debit card acceptance, enhanced reporting, a comprehensive security program, and gift card and loyalty solutions."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- The next session of Glenbrook's Payments Boot Camp will be held Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA. Join us!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews