On the Web:
- Why Bitcoin Matters - New York Times (Marc Andreessen) - "Bitcoin is the first practical solution to a longstanding problem in computer science called the Byzantine Generals Problem."
- Secret Service Looks at Texas Arrests for Target Links - Wall St. Journal - "McAllen police first started to see the fraudulent purchases a week ago..."
- South Koreans seethe, sue as credit card details swiped - Reuters - "Worried Koreans on Tuesday packed into branches of one of the banks hit by the theft to ensure their money was safe..."
- Target Tried Antitheft Cards - Wall St. Journal - "Target said its 2001 to 2004 effort to roll out smart cards was pioneering, but couldn't be justified if the rest of the industry didn't go along."
- Bitcoin 2.0: Distributed Corporations, Derivatives, and Information Markets - The Umlaut - "2014 could be a big year for these embryonic non-“currency” applications of the Bitcoin experiment."
- Bitcoin is not just digital currency. It's Napster for finance. - Fortune - "In the long term, peer-to-peer finance threatens to weaken banks and other financial agents just as peer-to-peer file sharing did the music industry..."
- Bitcoin Triggers Buzz, Controversy … and Now, Startups - Wall St. Journal - "Some 320 startups are now involved somehow in maintaining or tracking the bitcoin eco-system..."
- eBay Takes Its First Steps Toward Virtual Currency - Mashable - "Starting on Feb. 10, the UK section of the online marketplace will open a "virtual currency" category within its classified ads for the listing of Bitcoin, as well as its various offshoots..."
- Why is public transportation ticketing taking so long to go mobile? - Mobile Commerce Daily - “The challenge with mobile payments in the U.S. is it’s fragmented both from a technology standpoint and ownership standpoint.”
- Online Payday Lenders: An Illustration of the Importance of Bank Due Diligence - Portals and Rails Blog - "Banks should use the recent attention to online payday lenders as a reminder to review and improve their due diligence practices for all their customers."
- Wells Fargo bans staff from investing in P2P loans - CNBC - "...for-profit peer-to-peer lending is a competitive activity that poses a conflict of interest..."
On the Wires:
- NVoicePay Announces Triple-Digit Growth for B2B ePayments - “B2B ePayments are the next wave building in a burgeoning payments industry that has been dominated thus far by consumer trends,” said NVoicePay founder and CEO, Karla Friede.
- InComm Launches Airfair Lifeline Reload Card at 7-Eleven Stores Nationwide - "Customers can now pay in cash to reload their Lifeline phones with additional minutes, texts or data by purchasing the Airfair card, which is activated at the point-of-sale (POS)."
- Payoneer® Partners with Quantium Solutions Inc. of Japan - "Payoneer announced today it has signed a partnership with Quantium Solutions Inc. of Japan, a leading international logistics and fulfillment services company wholly owned by Singapore Post Ltd to provide global cross-border payment solutions for Quantium’s international e-commerce and mail-order business operators."
- Chase and Google Announce $3 Million in Grants and Trip to Google for 12 Small Businesses through the Mission Main Street™ Grants Program - "Chase and Google today announced twelve small businesses chosen to each receive a $250,000 grant through Mission Main Street Grants..."
- Oink Payments Service Aligns with WorldPay US Payment Platform - "Oink is the only COPPA-compliant payment technology designed to allow retailers and game publishers to reach under 21 consumers in a safe, legal and effective manner."
- Swipely Reveals How Menu and Server Performance Impact Sales - “We can tell which menu item brings customers back, which server does the best job selling wine and which dishes are the favorites of your most valuable customers.” Palace Café in New Orleans Implements High-Tech Bill Folders to Streamline the Card Payment Process and to Keep Guests’ Card Information Secure - "The RAIL is a handheld device designed to look like the common bill presentation folder used at most full-service restaurants – but unlike the original, the RAIL allows guests to securely self-swipe credit or debit cards, auto-calculate the tip, split the bill multiple ways, pay-by-item, and email receipts."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews