On the Web
- Payments on Fire Podcast: Faster Payments in the US - PaymentsViews.com - "In this Payments on Fire podcast, Glenbrook’s Carol Coye Benson and Dwolla’s Jordan Lampe join George Peabody for a discussion on the evolution of Faster Payments in the US, directories, bill pay, and the challenges of interoperability."
- Apple Seeks to Launch Apple Pay in China by February - Wall St. Journal - "The Cupertino, Calif., company has struck deals recently with China’s big four state-run banks, the people said, by which potential Apple Pay users could link the service with their local bank accounts."
- London: Travel free on Monday using MasterCard® with Apple Pay - "From 23rd November until 14th December travel free across Transport for London network on Mondays. Simply touch in and out using MasterCard with Apple Pay."
- Spanish lender BBVA enters UK with Atom deal - FT.com - "The move by BBVA, which considers itself a pioneer in digital banking, mirrors the way that it expanded into the US market by acquiring Simple."
- Europe needs access to SWIFT payments data to combat militants - France - Reuters - "European authorities need to be able to tap into data from the SWIFT bank payments network under a push to clamp down on the financing of militant groups, French Finance Minister Michel Sapin said on Monday."
- Researchers Track Tricky Payment Theft Scheme - New York Times - "The scheme targets point-of-sale systems but relies on malware that goes deep into the machine, to the “kernel level,” where antivirus software often does not look, according to iSight Partners..."
On the Wires
- Paychex Small Business Snapshot: Less Than Half of Retail/Restaurant Business Owners Are Equipped for EMV - "According to the latest Paychex Small Business Survey, 56% of business owners across all industries are aware of the liability shift and 29% are equipped to accept EMV chip credit cards. Those numbers increase significantly in the retail and restaurant/food and beverage spaces – those industries most likely to feel the greatest impact."
- New Poll Reveals Consumers Lack Education, Knowledge about New Chip Credit/Debit Cards - "Although more than half of U.S. adults who have a credit/debit card have been issued a new chip card (59 percent), only two in five (41 percent) know what the benefits of the chip card are, and even fewer (37 percent) say their card issuer provided information or education on how to use it."
- NCR Silver Rewards Select Small Business Merchants this Holiday Season - “Small businesses are the backbone of the economy,” said Chris Poelma, president and general manager of NCR Small Business. “NCR Silver was started to offer this crucial piece of the economy a level playing field when it comes to technology. We see this campaign as an extension of that mission.”
- MasterCard Masters of Code Hackathon Series to Crown $100,000 Global Winner - “We approached this series looking for the best developers and that is exactly who we have found,” said Sebastien Taveau, chief developer evangelist, MasterCard Open API. “At MasterCard, we opened our APIs to see what they are inspired to create next and promote financial inclusion globally.”
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for Palo Alto, California on December 1-2 followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on December 3 on the topic of Digital Payments. Registration for both sessions is open and available now.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Russ Jones for more information.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!