On the web:
- Braintree Is On The Block, Had Acquisition Talks With Square And PayPal - TechCrunch - "According to industry sources, Braintree has been asking for $1 billion, which seems unrealistic."
- Paying With Your Phone has Never Been So Easy – Or Looked So Good - PayPal Forward Blog (Hill Ferguson) - "The PayPal app has a new tab called ‘Shop’, which you can use to find shops or restaurants nearby that accept PayPal payments. You can then 'check in' and open a tab with just a swipe."
- How PayPal's App Update Could Reinvent The Company - Readwrite - "PayPal has fixed its mobile app, and handed consumers a reason to give it a fresh look. Now it needs to get PayPal embedded in the rest of the mobile world."
- PayPal's new digital wallet app is powerful but baffling - The Verge - "We’re really focusing on the parts of the experience around the payment — before and after — not really the payment itself."
- With a New Mobile App, Can PayPal Be All Things to All Shoppers? - AllThingsD - "A great marketing campaign, vast restaurant participation and timely and exclusive discounts can all help. But there’s no doubt that PayPal is taking a big swing here at offline retail."
- Trends in Mobile Banking: Changes, Challenges and Choices - Dallas Fed - "Financial institutions have their work cut out for them when it comes to offering mobile banking to customers. They must examine all options in order to make well-informed decisions about what services work best for them and their customers and how to provide those services."
- What's the Deal with Bitcoins Anyway? - eBay Deals Blog - "What do you think? Are bitcoins the real deal?"
- Square Market Item Embedding - Square Engineering Blog - "We’ve heard from both merchants and Square Market visitors that they’d like to share items on these sites too. Today we’re announcing a new item embedding feature to help make that happen."
On the wires:
- Zuora Raises $50 Million to Bring Every Company into the Subscription Economy - "Five years ago, Zuora predicted that a fundamental shift will take place - away from a product-based "buy once" economy to one based on recurring subscriptions - and created an entirely new approach to the core systems that optimize this business model."
- Hailo Becomes First 3rd-Party E-Hailing App to Tap into VeriFone’s Open API Cloud Platform for NYC Taxi Payments - "Starting next week, drivers of VeriFone-equipped cabs who use Hailo will be able to provide passengers with ready access to an enhanced e-hailing experience."
- Fiserv Debuts Customer Predictive Modeling Solution for More Reliable Business Growth and Results - "Using patented and patent-pending models, Predictive Scores from Fiserv addresses the challenge of harnessing multi-channel transaction data to reveal crucial propensities or probabilities that impact business growth."
- Boost Mobile Wallet powered by Wipit now Offers Quick Check Service - "Boost Mobile...announced a simple way for users of Boost Mobile Wallet powered by Wipit to turn their checks into instant cash funds, available in their Boost Mobile Wallet Plus accounts."
- Dynamics Inc. Launches New “Gallery” of Exclusive Artwork Available Only to ePlate® Cardholders with Special Artistic Editions of the Electronic ePlate® Credit Card - “We are empowering a new generation of artists who could have never entered the world of credit cards with their designs,” said Jeff Mullen, CEO of Dynamics Inc.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join us for our new series of Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps coming this October - 8th/9th in the San Francisco Bay Area and 23rd/24th in New York City!
- Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson will be speaking at this year's American Bankers Association Annual Convention on October 20-22 in New Orleans. She'll be participating in a panel discussion on The Future of the Payments Industry.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews