On the web:
- Layoffs at stealth payment startup Clinkle - Fortune - "Fortune has learned that the San Francisco-based company has issued pink slips to 16 employees, or just around 25% of its staff."
- Few Bitcoin-Related License Requests Reported by State Agencies - Bloomberg Technology - "State financial regulators have received few applications for licensing Bitcoin businesses even as they’ve handled many inquiries about them..."
- Step aside iBeacon, Qualcomm has low-cost Gimbal Proximity Beacons - GigaOm - "The use of Bluetooth makes far more sense than other alternatives: NFC generally requires a customer action, such as tapping a phone to a tag, while GPS is pure overkill and not likely as accurate in some indoor locations."
- Tracking Technology Sheds Light on Shopper Habits - Wall St. Journal - "The Future of Privacy Forum, a Washington, D.C., think tank, estimates that about 1,000 retailers, from tiny boutiques to Macy's Inc., have outfitted their aisles with sensors to monitor shoppers' paths."
- Square redesigns Reader, making it thinner and more efficient - GigaOm - "On Monday, Square released a new version of the Square Reader, which has both a sleeker, thinner design and a completely overhauled electronic interior."
- How Apple’s Lightning-Plug Guru Reinvented Square’s Card Reader - Wired - “Designing our own electronics got us better performance, got rid of the battery and got rid of our biggest field issue all in one go.”
- Tech Giants Issue Call for Limits on Government Surveillance of Users - - New York Times - “People won’t use technology they don’t trust,” Brad Smith, Microsoft’s general counsel, said in a statement. “Governments have put this trust at risk, and governments need to help restore it.”
- Mobile Banks Gaining Popularity With Young Consumers - New York Times - "The new mobile models are evolving, but they show promise by focusing on what the customer wants to do, rather than relying on banking terms that most millennials don’t care about, said Jennifer Tescher, chief executive of the Center for Financial Services Innovation."
- How Square Is Structured for Rapid Decisions, Awesome Products - Fast Company - "Square Cash, the recently launched product that lets you email money, is representative of the responsiveness that the small team structure engenders."
- My Bitcoin Bummer — World’s Virtual Currency Plummets in Price (Again) - All Things Digital - "This steep drop came after some news that China’s big bank and some of its key companies — which seemed to have started the recent price spree by showing a bit of enthusiasm for bitcoin — were no longer mentioning bitcoin payments for their services."
- Nio Card Lets Users Send and Receive Bitcoin Via NFC - CoinDesk - "The device uses Bluetooth technology to connect to a user’s smartphone wirelessly."
- Tulip Bulbs for Our Time - Wall St. Journal - "The bitcoin is a mania like tulip bulbs in the 1600s and Beanie Babies in the 1990s."
- How the Bitcoin protocol actually works - Michael Nielsen - "Understanding the details of the Bitcoin protocol opens up otherwise inaccessible vistas. In particular, it’s the basis for understanding Bitcoin’s built-in scripting language, which makes it possible to use Bitcoin to create new types of financial instruments, such as smart contracts."
- MasterCard hopes to get more Chinese clients with MasterPass - Global Times - "MasterPass hopes to have new Chinese clients, and most will target cross-border business, including merchants and banks," Ling Hai, president of Greater China for MasterCard Worldwide, said in an interview with Global Times.
On the wires:
- ExxonMobil Among Latest Companies to Join Merchant Customer Exchange - "– The Merchant Customer Exchange (MCX) today announced that ExxonMobil, Giant Eagle, Kum & Go and Rite Aid Corporation are among the growing number of merchants to become MCX members."
- Smart Card Alliance publishes 2013 Smart Card Alliance E-Yearbook - "The 2013 Smart Card Alliance Yearbook is our effort to capture the essence of a year’s worth of Smart Card Alliance activity to ac- celerate growth and anticipate changes for the smart card industry."
- Qualcomm Announces Availability of its Gimbal Proximity Beacons to Enable Customer Engagement Based on Micro Location - "Gimbal is a comprehensive context aware, proximity platform for brands to engage their customers’ mobile devices with highly relevant communications using a powerful combination of physical location, activity, time and personal interests."
- Fiserv Launches Next Generation of Financial Crime Risk Management Platform - "This major release brings unique abilities for financial crime professionals to effectively and efficiently model, detect, investigate and resolve risks across crimes, channels and product lines."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- FEEDBACK: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - here's my email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Looking for consulting help from Glenbrook? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews