On the Web
- USAA Switching Credit, Debit Cards to Visa From Longtime Partner MasterCard - Wall St. Journal - "USAA, one of the nation’s largest issuers of debit cards and credit cards, is switching its portfolio to Visa Inc., marking a blow for MasterCard Inc., which processed USAA transactions on its network for roughly 30 years."
- Meet The Nebraska Woman Who Allegedly Defrauded Square Out Of Milllions - BuzzFeed - "BuzzFeed News has learned that the seller was an Omaha events planning company called Creative Creations, owned by a 30-year-old woman named Patricia Urbanovsky."
- Updated Square Financials Show Q3 Revenue Of $332.2M, $53.9M In Losses - TechCrunch - "Square filed an updated filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission today that showed slowing revenue growth and a widening net loss in the third quarter this year."
- Visa prototype would let you lease car — from within car - USA Today - "Visa and DocuSign are expected to announced a prototype app Monday at Money20/20, a payments industry conference in Las Vegas, that would allow consumers to walk into a dealership, ask for a car ordered up on an automaker's website, and drive away after the driver fingertip-signs documents that appear on an in-dash screen."
- RushCard disruption reveals why prepaid debit cards should not exist at all - Guardian - "It’s not the first time that a prepaid debit card backed by a celebrity and marketed directly at the financially most vulnerable segment of Americans has encountered flak."
On the Wires
- Visa Brings Token Security to eCommerce - "Visa today announced that it has integrated token technology into Visa Checkout, the company’s online check out service used by merchants and consumers globally to make safe, easy payments in just a few clicks."
- U.S. Banks Unite to Form Industry Leading Secure Real-Time Payments Network - In a joint prepared statement, the CEOs of Bank of America, BB&T, Capital One, JPMorgan Chase, U.S. Bank, and Wells Fargo said, “Our customers want the ability to make payments to anyone, in real-time, making funds instantly available in the recipient’s bank account. To achieve this, we are combining our collective, bank-owned digital payments network (clearXchange) with our fraud, risk and authentication assets (Early Warning), to further ensure that our customers can send money, confidently, securely, and in real-time via their financial institutions.”
- The Clearing House Drives Closer to Standing-Up New Innovative National Real-Time Payment System - "The Clearing House (TCH) announced it has entered into a letter of intent with VocaLink, the UK-based international payment systems provider, to help build and deliver core elements of TCH’s new real-time payment system for the United States."
- MasterCard Launches New Program That Can Turn Any Consumer Gadget, Accessory or Wearable into a Payment Device - “As more and more ‘things’ become connected, consumers will have endless possibilities when it comes to how they pay, and will need all of their devices to work seamlessly together,” said Ed McLaughlin, Chief Emerging Payments Officer at MasterCard. “This program eliminates the boundaries of how we pay by delivering a secure digital payment experience to virtually anything – rings, fitness and smart bands, car key fobs, apparel, and whatever comes along next.”
- Western Union Introduces WU Connect Platform, Expanding Cross-Border Money Transfer via Mobile and Social Media - David Thompson, EVP, Global Operations and Technology and CTO, Western Union, expressed excitement about the potential impact of this new offering saying, "This puts Western Union in a position to extend its digital platform to networks whose users are looking for more convenient ways to send and receive money globally on a platform of their choice."
- Sequent Launches Token Service Platform Supporting all Card Types and Networks - "Compatible with all major credit and debit card networks, Sequent Token Service Platform allows banks to deploy a single solution to support their entire credit and debit card portfolio plus profitable private label and prepaid cards."
- E*TRADE Resets Mobile Bar with Apple Pay - "E*TRADE Financial Corporation today announced the release of Apple Pay functionality for E*TRADE debit card holders."
- Scotiabank First Canadian Bank to Launch Bulk Interac e-Transfer® Service - "Scotiabank is pleased to be the first Canadian Bank to offer this innovative new service to meet the needs of our business banking customers," said Rania Llewellyn, Senior Vice President, Cash Management and Payment Services at Scotiabank. "We are always looking for new ways to make everyday business transactions fast, easy and secure for our customers, and with the Bulk Interac e-Transfer service, our business banking customers have more choices to send electronic payments efficiently."
- TSYS and Ingenico Group to Offer New Semi-Integrated EMV Solution - "Using a semi-integrated approach, communications between the PIN pad and point-of-sale (POS) system are limited to non-sensitive exchanges, preventing card data from entering the POS. By taking the POS out of the payment flow process, not only are EMV certification and PCI compliance simplified, but overall costs and time required for EMV implementation are reduced as well."
- Mozido Expands Digital Payments Offering: Launches U.S. - China Cross-Border Payment Gateway - "The Mozido PayEase Payment Gateway service enables Chinese consumers to securely pay with their local bank accounts and credit cards with reliable settlement of the funds to the U.S. merchant’s bank account. As the first and most trusted cross-border payment gateway in China, Mozido PayEase breaks down barriers by allowing Chinese citizens to pay in their local currency while allowing the merchant to be paid in their home currency through a seamless transaction."
- Dream Payments Launches Canada's First Off-The-Shelf EMV Payment Terminal That Accepts Interac Debit Card Payments - "The Dream solution consists of an MPOS application for iOS® and Android™ based smartphones and a Bluetooth® enabled EMV Debit and Credit Card Reader. The Dream card reader is available through TELUS at an introductory price of $99.99. Payment processing fees are low cost; $0.25 for Interac Debit card transactions and 2.75% for Visa® and MasterCard® credit card transactions."
- Penny Inc Launches at Money20/20 with Prepaid MasterCard® Card and Integrated Mobile App Solution - "Penny Inc, which provides payments and expense and travel management solutions for small to medium-sized businesses, today announced the launch of the Penny Inc prepaid MasterCard® card program (“Penny”) virtually connected to a mobile app."
- INTECH to Provide Prairie Cloudware Platform to Credit Union Clients - "INTECH will white label the Prairie Cloudware technology allowing credit unions to offer members a mobile wallet that carries the institution’s brand. The initial deployment of the Digital Payments Guardian for INTECH will offer an Android mobile wallet with a Visa card. The solution can be extended to include additional payment cards and sources as well."
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for New York City on October 20-21 followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on October 22 on the topic of Virtual Currencies and Bitcoin.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Russ Jones for more information.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!