On the Web:
- Full SEPA is Here, At Last - PaymentsViews.com (Manfred Schuck) - "Today, on the doorstep to August 1st, the latest ECB statistics show that the change-over goals have been met and the rate of SEPA-payments is very close to one hundred percent."
- Trends in payments innovation. - Finsurgency (Matt Harris) - "In fact, I pulled this deck together to brief the board of a large, global payments company on what’s been happening in the start-up payments community over the past 12-18 months."
- Stellar - Stripe Blog - "Stellar is (like Bitcoin) a decentralized payment network; unlike Bitcoin, it supports transactions in arbitrary currencies—you can use dollars, Euros, bitcoins, or anything else. Stellar implements something very close to the idealized "IP layer for money" idea that we described last week. You can find more details (and obtain your first "stellars", the network's native currency) by reading their launch post."
- Sandwich Chain Jimmy John’s Investigating Breach Claims - Krebs on Security - "The unauthorized card activity witnessed by various financial institutions contacted by this author is tied to so-called “card-present” fraud..."
- Brad Maiorino, Target’s New Cybersecurity Boss, Discusses Being a ‘Glutton for Punishment’ - New York Times Bits Blog - "But one of the principals I apply to information security isn’t security-related at all. It’s about simplification and consolidation. My geeky term for it is ‘attack surface reduction.'"
- Target, for First Time, Chooses an Outsider as C.E.O. - New York Times - "The move was a clear sign that the retailer was casting aside its longtime custom of promoting top executives from within as it looked to right itself."
- Amazon, First Data enter quickly expanding mobile gift cards space - Mobile Commerce Daily - “This is a great opportunity for Amazon to test the ‘mobile wallet waters’ by rolling out a mobile wallet that’s not currently focused on payments – rather focused on ‘consumer-first’ content like gift and loyalty cards..."
- Safaricom ordered to open M-Pesa platform - Kenya Broadcasting Corp - "The telecom industry in Kenya is headed for a major re-alignment following an order to Safaricom to open up her mobile money platform."
- Apple reveals new Security Control Features for Future iWallet - Patently Apple - "On July 31, 2014, the US Patent & Trademark Office published a patent application from Apple that reveals new security control features for their future iWallet application."
- Wikimedia Foundation Partners with Coinbase to Accept Bitcoin for Donations; Coinbase Now Offering 0% Processing Fees for Non-Profits - Coinbase Blog - "Following the Wikimedia Foundation’s lead, all registered 501(c) organizations are now eligible to receive free bitcoin payment processing using Coinbase."
On the Wires:
- MasterCard Incorporated Reports Second-Quarter 2014 Financial Results - “We are pleased with another quarter of solid performance, driven by healthy volume and revenue growth,” said Ajay Banga, president and CEO, MasterCard. “We continue to invest in our strategic initiatives, including acquisitions, while strengthening partnerships with banks, merchants, governments and mobile operators to grow and improve our business and theirs.”
- Vantiv Reports Second Quarter 2014 Results - "The second quarter marks an exciting time at Vantiv," said Charles Drucker, president and chief executive officer at Vantiv. "We delivered another solid quarter of growth, and we executed on many of our strategic initiatives. By investing in high-growth channels, we have positioned Vantiv as a leader in the industry that will win share as the market evolves."
- LifeLock Announces New Personalized Alerts Across Credit Cards, Checking, Savings and Investment Accounts - LifeLock President Hilary Schneider said, “Only LifeLock can monitor for identity theft across such a broad array of a consumer’s financial accounts, going significantly beyond simple credit monitoring. Consumers now have even more tools to give themselves peace of mind. This is particularly important in a digital world where identity thieves are constantly changing tactics"
- BitFury Announces Hosted Mining Services - "BitFury is one of the oldest and largest Bitcoin miners in the world. Some 40 percent of all Bitcoins are mined using BitFury chips."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.; Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Money2020 has become the go-to event in payments. We'll be there in force... will you? Use this promo code to register "GLENBR20"
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews