Welcome to December!
- It's hard to believe that we're down to the last month of 2014! It's been quite a year for payments! Has anything changed in your life this year about how you make payments? If so, tell me about it!
On the Web:
- Payments on Fire Podcast #11 – Bitcoin, Banking, and Crypto 2.0 Approaches - PaymentsViews.com - "Glenbrook’s George Peabody discusses Bitcoin and blockchain evolution with Sean Safahi, co-founder and CEO of Bold Financial Technologies, a provider of math-based currency services to the banking industry."
- Bankers: First Data IPO Rapidly Approaching - "The company, through its CEO Bisignano, has been suggesting that KKR wants to cash out of the investment in the next year if possible."
- Health-Care EFT Transaction Volume Via the ACH Grows Nearly 180% in a Year - Digital Transactions - "The new volume flows through the ACH network under a business-to-business transaction code known as CCD+Addenda (for cash concentration or disbursement)."
- What Happens When You Swipe Your Card? - CBS 60 Minutes - "Even the strongest banks in the world-- banks like JPMorgan, retailers like Home Depot, retailers like Target -- can't spend enough money or hire enough people to solve this problem."
- Shopping on a Phone Is Still Uncommon but Growing Fast - New York Times -“These cellphones are with us all the time, so why should you be doing Christmas shopping only at home? Why shouldn’t you do it while you’re on the subway, waiting for the bus, at the cafe?”
- PayPal Reports Record-Breaking Number Of Black Friday Shoppers And Sales On Mobile - TechCrunch - "Based on its online commerce data, the company reports having seen a 47% increase in PayPal global mobile payment volume on Thanksgiving compared with Thanksgiving 2013, and a 62% increase for Black Friday 2014 over last year."
- Thanksgiving Weekend Sales, at Stores and Online, Slide 11 Percent - New York Times - "The results could show that “there are a significant number of Americans out there for whom the recession is not yet over,” said Matthew Shay, the group’s president and chief executive."
- Credit Card Rewards: The Deals Get Sweeter - Wall St. Journal - “Issuers are getting more aggressive in terms of what they’re willing to dangle to acquire new customers,” says Curtis Arnold, founder of CardRatings.com, a credit-card comparison website. “It’s an arms race.”
- Cashless Society? It’s Already Coming - New York Times - "When you are out shopping, it’s the wallet, not the credit card, that is the annoyance. It’s bulky. It can be forgotten, or lost. I’ve learned while traipsing about buying stuff with my ApplePay that I can whittle down wallet items that I need to carry to three..."
- "Banks As Commodity Utilities In A New Payment World - TechCrunch - "To stay relevant, banks must embrace the technology-driven changes and look for new opportunities rather than protecting and preserving antiquated business models."
- Are universal credit cards the next thing? - Geektime - "Coin recently started shipping their long awaited universal credit card to early bakers in the US, in a very overdue timing. But meanwhile, other universal credit cards companies entered the market, which makes you wonder if this is the next big thing."
On the Wires:
- Intel Acquires PasswordBox, an Award-Winning Digital Identity Manager - “Everyone can relate to password fatigue. The PasswordBox service has already brought relief to millions of consumers who now enjoy simple, instant login,” said Chris Young, senior vice president and general manager of Intel Security Group.
- BCG and SWIFT publish annual Global Payments report - "The aim of the report is to provide payments and transaction-banking institutions with a comprehensive overview of major business drivers shaping the industry. It also provides the reader with recommendations on which specific actions should be taken by various types of players in order to achieve or maintain market-leading positions. In today's competitive environment, financial institutions must differentiate themselves and bring value to continue to grow."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- The next session of Glenbrook's Payments Boot Camp will be held Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA. Join us!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews