ON THE WEB
- Payments on Fire Podcast: Shoptalk Conference 2016 - PaymentsViews.com (George Peabody) - "Take a listen to my conversations with start-ups Tuku (in-store digital content delivery), Belly (in-store loyalty), Bold Financial Technologies (payout management for Treasury) and established fintech provider ACI Worldwide.
- PayPal's first Analyst Day - PayPal is holding its first ever Analyst Day briefing today beginning at 8:30 AM Pacific. The presentation slides are here.
- Enhancing Android Pay APIs - Android Developers Blog - "We believe that mobile payments can make for a better, more secure shopping experience - so we're in this together for the long haul. We’re building a robust Android Pay ecosystem, one that’s open and scalable, to enable developers to drive mobile payments - and their businesses - forward. We're very excited for the road ahead and we hope you are too."
- J.P. Morgan Reduced Some Employees’ Access to Swift System in Recent Weeks - Wall St. Journal - "The New York bank took the steps in recent weeks to keep tighter control on its links to the service, those people said."
- MCX bows out as opportunity narrows for new mobile payment entries - Mobile Commerce Daily - "With a Chase Pay partnership in place, MCX is shifting gears, postponing its consumer payments application, CurrentC, and focusing on building relationships with additional banks instead ..."
- What Happened to the Revolving Credit Card Balances of 2009? - Payment Cards Center - Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia - "We examine the paydown and charge-off of March 2009 revolving credit card balances. We find that 75 percent of those balances had been paid off or charged off within four years. Charge-offs played a much smaller role in balance reduction than did paydown (27.8 versus 72.2 percent)..." ;
- The Blockchain Expert: In Search of Tech’s Near-Mythical Beast - Wall St. Journal - "The problem is few technologists have deep experience building systems that use a blockchain. Those who do are in high demand."
ON THE WIRES
- Fitbit, Inc. Acquires Wearable Payments Assets From Financial Technology Company Coin - “Coin has been one of the key innovators in advanced payment solutions. The inclusion of their payment technology into our offerings will further our strategy of making Fitbit products an indispensable part of people's lives."
- Expedia and Eventbrite Offer Affirm to Let Customers Buy Now and Pay Over Time - “Affirm was created to establish a new paradigm in banking, one that offers trustworthy, accountable, and accessible financial products and services that are aligned with consumers’ best interests,” said Levchin, Affirm’s CEO. “The unintended consequence of this was the incredible impact we’ve had on our retailer partners’ businesses. We didn’t expect that providing a simpler, more transparent option for shoppers would create so much upside for retailers..."
- Samsung Pay Announces Support for Membership and Loyalty Cards in the U.S. - "With the new feature announced today, Samsung Pay lets users access all of their merchant membership and loyalty cards from one, easy-to-use application on the supported Samsung Galaxy smartphone that is already in their hands."
- Citi Launches Voice Biometrics Authentication for Asia Pacific Consumer Banking Customers - “The voice biometrics authentication capability underscores Citi’s focus on technology to better serve our customers. We know that remembering different PINs and answering multiple questions can make the process frustrating. With this new capability, we offer our customers a faster and more secure authentication for a better customer experience,” said Anand Selva, Asia Pacific Head for Consumer Banking, Citi.
- Bangkok Bank and Fiserv Make Life Easier with Mobile P2P Payments, Alerts and Banking Services for Wearable Devices - "With Bualuang mBanking ... Bangkok Bank customers now have the ability to access financial services via a mobile phone, tablet or the Apple Watch. Additionally, the bank has added mobile peer-to-peer (P2P) payments and advanced push notifications and alerts that can be received directly through the app."
- Vikram S. Pandit and Atairos Group Create New Financial Services Company - Michael Angelakis, Chairman and CEO of Atairos, added: “We believe Vikram and his team’s strategic and operational expertise, coupled with Atairos’ long-term view and resources, will bring tremendous value to growing companies in the dynamic financial services sector.”
PAYMENTS IN PORTLAND
- Join us for the next Payments in Portland (Oregon) event being held on Tuesday, June 7th. Details here!
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming this fall - in Palo Alto, CA and New York City - we hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - October 11-12
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Data in Payments - October 13
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!