ON THE WEB
- PayPal Withdraws Plan for Charlotte Expansion - PayPal Stories Blog - "The new law perpetuates discrimination and it violates the values and principles that are at the core of PayPal’s mission and culture. As a result, PayPal will not move forward with our planned expansion into Charlotte."
- Venmo’s secret sauce: PayPal CEO on the future of the fast-growing social payments app - "One of the more interesting tidbits Schulman shared is that the typical Venmo user opens the app four-to-five times per week, but not to make payments. “They are just seeing what their friends are doing,” he noted."
- Meet the startup that will let you pay your co-workers on Slack - Re/code.net - "To make a payment on Slack, Current users connect their bank account and Slack account with the Current app, and then have to move some money from their bank account into their Current account."
- MasterCard eyes ties with Twitter, Facebook - CNBC - "MasterCard would be interested in working with Facebook and Twitter as the social media giants build up their payment services, a top executive at the payments giant told CNBC."
ON THE WIRES
- State of Delaware Unveils Blockchain Initiative to Leverage Potential of Smart Contracts - "Delaware has long been the jurisdiction of choice for the most innovative companies in the world," said Governor Markell. "The Delaware Blockchain Initiative demonstrates the state's commitment to ensuring this remains the case for the growing blockchain technology sector. By creating the opportunity for a broad range of corporations – from Fortune 500 companies to startups – to take advantage of distributed ledger and smart contract applications, we are laying the groundwork for a more modern, secure and transparent business environment for years to come."
- Microsoft and R3 Partnership to Accelerate Adoption of Distributed Ledger Technologies by Global Banks - “With intelligent, cloud-based technology, R3 and member banks will experiment and learn faster, accelerating distributed ledger technology deployment,” said Peggy Johnson, executive vice president of global business development at Microsoft. “What’s more, our collaboration brings to light tremendous opportunities to rethink business processes and transform entire industries.”
- Sage Payment Center Extends the Benefits of Embedding Payments Management Into an Accounting System - "This latest version of Sage Payment Center extends the benefits of embedding payments within an accounting system to help small and medium businesses get paid faster, simplify their business operations, and ultimately make smarter decisions," said Paul Bridgewater, CEO of Sage Payment Solutions. "With Sage Payment Center, businesses can choose how they want to process a payment, easily spot accounts receivable trends, make payment acceptance part of their existing workflow, easily make automatic deposits, and much more."
- MasterCard Announces President, U.S. Issuers - "MasterCard today announced the appointment of Raj Seshadri as president, U.S. Issuers. In this new role, she will be responsible for managing and expanding the company’s partnerships with banks and credit unions across the U.S. market."
- New TNS Message Translation Solution to Streamline Payments Industry - "TNSConnect2All provides a single messaging specification that can be readily adapted to the unique interfaces of multiple payment processors. This gives merchants, ISOs and terminal providers greater flexibility, enabling connections with multiple acquirers and processors through one connection to TNS..."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming up in early April - both in New York City - we hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!