On the web:
- Evenly Joins Square - Square Engineering Blog - "Evenly’s app made it easy for anyone to send or collect payments from friends, anywhere, anytime."
- PayPal Looks Ahead: Six Predictions for 2014 - PayPal Forward Blog (David Marcus) - "My job at PayPal gives me a unique opportunity to work with peers and strategize with partners across many industries about solving real problems and delivering exciting new experiences for consumers and retailers. That leads to a pretty privileged view into what’s coming next." PayPal Increases Mobile Investment as Smartphones Replace Cash - BusinessWeek - “It’s going to take years,” for mobile technology to become the main way to pay, Marcus said. “But we’re in it for the long run.”
- Everything you need to know about the Volcker Rule - Guardian - "A rule to keep banks from gambling with their customers' money may finally be realised after years of resistance from Wall Street..."
- First Mover Australians: Turning Mobile into Contactless Payments - MasterCard Blog - "To borrow a phrase from the CommBank blog, Australians can’t get enough of contactless payments. The country is the number one MasterCard PayPass market in the world..."
- iBeacon Pioneers Estimote Raise $3.1M Seed Round - TechCrunch - “We are shipping thousands of beacons per week and more than 10,000 developers around the world are already experimenting with Estimote beacons in contextual computing applications.”
- JPMorgan files patent for Bitcoin-style payment system - FT.com - "Like Bitcoin, JPMorgan’s proposed system would allow people to make anonymous, electronic payments over the internet..."
- For Bitcoin, Square Peg Meets Round Hole Under the Law - New York Times - "The development of Bitcoin, the virtual currency that is not issued by any government, presents challenges for the authorities to use laws that were not designed for the digital world to combat illegal conduct."
- Be Careful With Coin - New York Times - "Consider this as well: When you buy it, you are agreeing to terms of service that give you no protection."
- A Medical Credit Card Has Surprising Costs - New York Times - "On Tuesday, the agency announced that it was ordering GE Capital Retail Bank and its CareCredit medical credit card unit to refund up to $34.1 million..."
On the wires:
- PayPal Invests in Loop Commerce - "We are impressed with the Loop Commerce team, approach and technology," said Don Kingsborough, Vice President of Global Strategic Development for PayPal.
- MasterCard and Commonwealth Bank Accelerate Mobile Payments Adoption on Flagship Samsung Devices - "Commonwealth Bank of Australia is the first bank globally to collaborate with MasterCard and Samsung to offer this service to its customers, using Mobile MasterCard® PayPass™ within its CommBank app on the embedded secure element of the Samsung Galaxy S4."
- TSYS Releases Importance of 3D Secure with EMV - "TSYS today announced the release of a white paper titled “EMV is Not Enough: Considerations for Implementing 3D Secure”...
- BitPay Exceeds $100,000,000 in Bitcoin Transactions Processed - "BitPay ... announces it has processed over $100 million in transactions this year, and has increased its merchant base to over 15,500 approved merchants in 200 countries."
- First Data Releases November 2013 SpendTrend® Analysis - "November dollar volume growth of 4.4% marked a downtick from October’s growth of 6.8%."
- Worldline and ReD Partner to Offer Enhanced Integrated Fraud and Payments Solution - "This new strategic partnership will see ReD’s real-time fraud prevention service, ReD Shield®, made available to Worldline’s merchant customers throughout the world – in France, Benelux, Germany, UK, Spain, India and other Asian countries."
- Financial Services Provider Merchant Warehouse Selects 8x8 For Cloud Telephony, Unified Communications and Contact Center Services - "In early 2013, Merchant Warehouse introduced the Genius™ Customer Engagement Platform™ - a breakthrough, industry-first solution that solves the problem of how to support mobile commerce in addition to traditional cash, credit, and debit payments on the merchant countertop all from a single customer engagement device."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- FEEDBACK: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - here's my email: [email protected]. Please forward press releases to: [email protected].
- Looking for consulting help from Glenbrook? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews