ON THE WEB
- Apple Pay Coming to Mobile Websites Before Holiday Shopping Season - Recode.net (Jason Del Rey) - "The service will be available to shoppers using the Safari browser on models of iPhones and iPads that possess Apple’s TouchID fingerprint technology..."
- How digital innovation is bringing prosperity to the world’s poorest - City AM (Kosta Peric) - "For the unbanked, having no means of saving or managing their finances can mean being locked in a cycle of poverty for a lifetime. Conversely, gaining access to a safe, affordable way of handling money can open up real possibilities for a better life."
- US financial firms are eager to capitalize on Cuba - Quartz - "Firms including PayPal, Western Union, and online-payment processor Stripe have already announced pushes into Cuba."
- Costco boots American Express; welcomes Visa w/ sweeter benefits - StarTribune - "After a delay in dropping American Express as its preferred method of payment, Costco has set June 19 as the last day that it will accept American Express cards."
- Starbucks launches prepaid Visa rewards card - USA Today - "Customers will be able to use the card anywhere Visa is accepted and earn "stars" on every purchase, regardless of whether it's for Starbucks items."
- Dynamic Balance: How BYOD Enhances Consumer Experiences - Diebold Blog - "Mobile enhances the speed of the transaction. When they BYOD, consumers spend less time at the ATM by increasing throughput on their mobile devices. In parallel, cash-heavy regions of the world appreciate decreased queuing times at the terminals, i.e. consumers can “cash and dash” with BYOD."
ON THE WIRES
- First Data and First Tennessee Bank Form Strategic Relationship to Support Small Businesses - "Under the new enterprise agreement, First Tennessee will provide its small business clients with First Data’s innovative products, including the Clover® family of business management solutions. First Tennessee will also join First Data’s STAR® Network and have access to an array of cutting-edge fraud protection tools."
- Federal Reserve Board begins 2016 Survey of Consumer Finances - "This survey is one of the nation's primary sources of information on the financial condition of different types of households," Federal Reserve Board Chair Janet Yellen said in a letter to prospective survey participants. "Our previous surveys…have helped the Federal Reserve and other parts of the government make policy decisions and have also supported a wide variety of basic research, public discussion, and education."
- U.S. Bank Introduces Mobile Check Deposit App for Small Businesses - “Using Deposit Express, customers can streamline their check deposit process, eliminating delays associated with trips to the branch or their office,” said Sam Robb, head of receivables solutions for treasury management at U.S. Bank. “Deposit Express is specifically tailored to meet the needs of small businesses. It offers robust reporting and research capabilities, as well as integration of mobile and web deposit channels.”
- MBNA Gets Ready For Android Pay - "UK contactless spend increased steeply in 2015, more than trebling to reach £7.75 billion. With nearly one in eight card transactions now using contactless technology*, Android Pay will be the latest option for tech-savvy consumers who are forgoing not only cash but cards in favour of mobile wallet payment methods."
- National Gift Card Draws on Tech Advances to Offer Rewards in Real Time - "With 9 out of 10 U.S. adults owning a cell phone and global cell phone use projected to top 5 billion by 2019, National Gift Card Corp. is leveraging this trend with its smart mobile gift card solution that works for virtually any small or large businesses through its proprietary Application Programming Interface (API)."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming up in early April - both in New York City - we hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - New York City - April 5-6
- Insight Workshop - New York City - Global Payments - April 7
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!