On the Web:
- Dwolla and BBVA Compass to team up, offer real-time, or “streaming” payments - The Dwolla Blog - "Dwolla FiSync is a small, but powerful API designed to allow banks and credit unions to “talk” to Dwolla’s existing network, extending our “real-time by default” network..."
- Chip & PIN vs. Chip & Signature - Krebs on Security - "Most card issuing banks and Visa don’t want PINs because the PINs can be stolen and used with the magnetic stripe data on the same cards (that also have a chip card) to withdraw cash from ATM machines."
- Forget about payment apps: the new battle is around payment terminals - VentureBeat - "A new entrant, Poynt, will be announcing its new EMV- and NFC-reading terminals today at a price point of $299 per terminal."
- Execs From Apple Pay Competitor Finally Speak, But Big Questions Remain - Re/code.net - "MCX, the consortium of retailers that recently blocked the use of Apple Pay in their stores, finally spoke to the press Wednesday about a recent hack on its system..."
- Apple Pay Rival MCX Open to Other Technology - New York Times - “It’s ironic in a way that we’re talking about a really old technology being employed here,” Mr. Davidson said.
- GoCardless Launches Enterprise Direct Debits, Secures The Guardian - TechCrunch - "Kind’ve like a ‘Stripe for direct debit’, using a few lines of code via its API, GoCardless can let any business take recurring payments for things such as subscriptions from consumer or regular services from other businesses."
On the Wires:
- MasterCard Incorporated Reports Third-Quarter 2014 Financial Results - "The company reported net income of $1 billion, up 15%, and earnings per diluted share of $0.87, up 19%."
- Marqeta Announces Leading-edge, Client Configurable Payment Solutions - "Marqeta is an issuer processor platform with unique feature options, the hallmark of which is the ability to create unlimited closed loop accounts and experiences on open loop payment networks."
- Popmoney for Disbursements Streamlines Payments from Businesses to Consumers - "With Popmoney for Disbursements, a company or financial institution treasury department can send money to a recipient using their email address or mobile phone number as an identifier, making it possible to send money electronically without knowing the recipient’s bank account number."
- CNP Fraud Rapidly Rising Irrespective of EMV Adoption - "While the rapid proliferation of EMV adoption in the UK produced a significant drop in POS fraud, it did not address where card fraud is most problematic—e-commerce and m-commerce."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- The next session of Glenbrook's Payments Boot Camp will be held Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA. Join us!
- Glenbrook's Bitcoin: Basics and Beyond Workshop will be held Nov 19 in New York City
- Money20/20 as become the go-to event in payments... we'll be there in force. The agenda is now available and the event is 90% sold out - if you've been waiting, it's time to register! Use this promo code to register and receive a 20% discount: "GLENBR20"
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews