On the Web
- Hip to be Square - Om Malik - "About two years ago I wrote a piece about design is not just pretty websites but instead it is about the entire experience. Square was among the examples I cited. I looked over the S-1, read through the whole thing and it was good to see that even as it [has] become a billion dollar revenue company, the soon to be public SQ hasn’t forgotten that vital lesson."
- Payments Startup Square Discloses IPO Plans - Wall St. Journal - "Square said sales rose 54% last year to $850.2 million and are on a pace to exceed $1 billion this year."
- The Crucial New Business Unit Hiding in Square’s IPO Filing - Re/code.net (Jason Del Rey) - "The division, dubbed “software and data products,” consists of a variety of new products that aren’t tied directly to Square’s credit card processing business."
- Bain Capital, Advent International Reap $4.9 Billion Profit From Worldpay - Wall St. Journal - "Two Boston-based private-equity firms have earned a combined profit of about £3.2 billion ($4.9 billion) in cash and stock from their five-year-old investment in Worldpay Group PLC..."
- UK Government Highlights Benefits of Blockchain Tech - CoinDesk - "During her speech in London yesterday about the government's technology drive, Harriet Baldwin MP said the government is working to create the right regime for digital currency businesses..."
- RBS to pilot product based on blockchain technology in 2016 - ComputerWeekly.com - "RBS would not provide details of the likely service due to the commercial sensitivity of the project, but John Lyons, head of strategy and commercial services for RBS’s payments business suggested it is “on the fringes of payments”"
On the Wires
- First Data Announces Pricing of its Initial Public Offering - First Data (“First Data”) today announced the pricing of its initial public offering of 160,000,000 shares of its Class A common stock at $16.00 per share. Shares of First Data’s Class A common stock are expected to begin trading on the New York Stock Exchange on October 15, 2015 under the symbol “FDC"...
- FreedomPay Certifies For EMV On First Data For All Card Brands - Ensuring the security of consumer payment data is a top priority for merchants across all industries,” said Chris Kronenthal, Chief Technology Officer of FreedomPay. “Working with leading organizations in lodging, gaming, retail, foodservice, healthcare and higher education to implement PCI best practices including EMV, tokenization and Validated P2PE, FreedomPay is helping merchants secure their payment environment, prevent EMV liability exposure and reduce scope for PCI compliance.”
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for New York City on October 20-21 followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on October 22 on the topic of Virtual Currencies and Bitcoin.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Russ Jones for more information.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!