On the web:
- Why Apple's iBeacon Is Better Than NFC - Fast Company - "When BLE is applied to a payment system there's a lot of potential for more sophisticated interactions between the payee and the merchant's computer systems."
- Photos from MasterCard's Innovation Showcase yesterday at its Investment Community Meeting
- E.U. Lawmakers Give E.C.B. Power to Supervise Banks - New York Times - "The plan approved by an overwhelming majority of the European Parliament will allow the ECB in Frankfurt to oversee around 6,000 banks in the 17 euro zone countries."
- McDonald’s Testing Mobile Payment App as U.S. Sales Stumble - Bloomberd BusinessWeek - "McDonald’s Corp. is currently testing a mobile payment application in Salt Lake City and in Austin, Texas, Lisa McComb, a spokeswoman, said today in an e-mail."
- How eBay Could Rescue Bitcoin From the Feds - Wired - "But there’s another operation that runs both a marketplace where Bitcoins are bought and sold and a fully compliant money-transmitting business that, observers say, could rescue Bitcoin from its biggest problem. That company is eBay, and the money transmitter is its well-known subsidiary, PayPal."
- Why does Twitter buying MoPub matter? It’s all about persistent identity and mobile ads - GigaOm - "As Garcia describes it, when a user is logged into Twitter on both the desktop and a mobile device, the service will be able to combine what they know about that person’s activity in order to make better guesses about what ads to show them..."
On the wires:
- MasterCard Innovation Showcase highlights new shopping experiences – in aisle, at a stadium, on-the-go and online – via mobile and wearable devices - "The digital lifestyle is radically altering the day-to-day shopping experience, and habits, of consumers. As a result, consumers will now shop and pay in whatever way best fits their needs and lifestyles, from every device they have, with a simple tap, click or touch at the register, in the aisle, at home, on the go – or anywhere else,” said Ed McLaughlin, Chief Emerging Payments Officer, MasterCard.
- Mobile is Key to Boosting Adoption of Paying Bills at Bankers’ Websites - "Javelin estimates banks can increase household adoption of online banking by 22% by targeting 29 million Americans who are just one step away from paying their bills at the bank."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join us for our new series of Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps coming this October - 8th/9th in the San Francisco Bay Area and 23rd/24th in New York City!
- Glenbrook's Allen Weinberg and Erin McCune will be at Money2020 in Las Vegas October 6-10 - please reach out to them directly to catch up in person or set up a briefing at the conference. Erin will be moderating an Invoicing, Billing & Collections panel with Bill.com CEO Rene Lacerte, Billtrust CEO Flint Lane and Billhighway Chairman Vince Thomas.
- Glenbrook's Elizabeth McQuerry will be speaking at this year's NACHA Global Payments Forum on October 17-18 in New York City. She'll be speaking on the topic "Mobile Payments, Interoperability & Faster Funds Transfer".
- Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson will be speaking at this year's American Bankers Association Annual Convention on October 20-22 in New Orleans. She'll be participating in a panel discussion on The Future of the Payments Industry.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews