On the Web:
- Sears, Secret Service Said to Probe Possible Data Breach - Bloomberg - “We have found no information based on our review of our systems to date indicating a breach.”
- The Bitcoin Paradox That Undid Mt. Gox - Wall St. Journal - "I used historical indicators from my experience in the online poker world to explain why Mt. Gox fit a pattern of virtual-wallet bankruptcies..."
- What’s Not Being Said About Bitcoin - TechCrunch (Brian Armstrong) - "It is critical to understand just how different an open payment network is from the proprietary payment networks that exist today."
- The Payments Revolution Will Be Mobile - iZettle Blog (Jacob de Geer) - "The payments revolution will be mobile. Here are my top five predictions for 2014."
- How Qualcomm Wants to Reinvent Retail - StreetFight - "Street Fight recently caught up with Kevin Hunter, senior director of product management for Qualcomm Retail Solutions..."
- Bluetooth Low Energy in public spaces - O'Reilly Radar (Matthew Gast) - "BLE is exciting because it’s a relatively inexpensive technology that can allow applications to gather highly detailed information about the physical world."
- MtGox Files for Bankruptcy — Customer Bitcoins Almost All Gone - Business Insider / AFP - "We have lost Bitcoins due to weaknesses in the system," the France-born Karpeles said in Japanese.
- Bitcoin Bull Malka Holds Firm as Mt. Gox Drags Currency - Bloomberg (Serena Saitto) - “I have no doubt on the future of Bitcoin because the concept of money becoming digital in all shapes and forms is here to stay,” Malka said.
- Bitcoin Transaction Fees To Be Slashed Tenfold - CoinDesk - "The bitcoin developers are about to reduce the transaction fees on the bitcoin network tenfold..."
- Bitcoin Derivatives Sprout as Regulators Play Catch-Up - Bloomberg Technology - "Bitcoin protocol is a really genius way of sending wealth across the world, very quickly, very cheaply, which has appeal to many people..."
- Why Your Business Might One Day Accept Bitcoin (or Something Like It) - HBR Blog Network (Walter Frick) - "Bitcoin’s problems as a store of value may not prohibit it from working as a medium of exchange, one that could ultimately prove attractive to businesses."
- Lessons from BBVA's Simple Acquisition: It's Time to Build Better Banks - American Banker Disruptors (Bradley Leimer) - "Reducing friction, adding transparency, and driving toward customer-focused design within beautifully crafted applications is critical not just for messaging or social media apps, they're a necessity for financial institutions as well."
- Postal Networks: a Physical Link to the Digital Economy - "Of particular interest to CGAP is the potential role the Post could play in helping the poor bridge the digital divide."
- E-retailers face the threat of so-called ‘friendly fraud’ - Internet Retailer - "Based on her research, Hendrick estimates that friendly fraud can account for between 25% and 40% of e-retail chargeback volume."
- The mobile wallet: Latent opportunity or pipe dream? - Boston.com - "The mobile wallet has been much ballyhooed, but so far, the hype doesn’t seem to be translating into action on the grand scale..."
On the Wires:
- Coinbase: Support for Bitcoin payment URLs - "Bitcoin payment URLs make the process of sending bitcoin online extremely easy. Instead of having to open a new window and copy and paste the bitcoin address and amount, you simply click a link and it’s done automatically."
- California Attorney General Kamala D. Harris Issues Guide for Small Businesses to Protect Against Cyber Attacks, Data Breaches - "The guide, Cybersecurity in the Golden State, provides recommendations focused on small to mid-sized businesses, which are particularly vulnerable to cybercrime and often lack the resources to hire cybersecurity personnel."
- Mozido Names Walmart Exec Scott Sandlin as President - "Scott Sandlin, former Head of Financing, Protection, and Home Services of Walmart, has been named President and a member of the Board of Directors Mozido, a global leader in white-label, cloud-based mobile payment services."
- Regions Bank Launches Commercial Insights on Regions.com - “Commercial Insights is designed with the needs of large and growing companies in mind and offers Regions clients a new, fresh source of information to help them manage their business."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: March 18-19 in New York; May 6-7 in Palo Alto, CA.
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: [email protected] or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Please forward press releases to: [email protected].
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews