On the Web:
- Target Reaches Pact With Visa Over Data Breach, in Talks With MasterCard - Wall St. Journal - "Target said it was pleased with the Visa deal and is prepared to resolve the matter on comparable economics with MasterCard and its customers."
- Payments Firm Klarna Is Valued at $2.25 Billion in Secondary Deal - Wall St. Journal - "Venture-capital firm Northzone, mutual fund Wellington Management Co. and foundation Wellcome Trust have bought about $80 million worth of stock from company insiders, according to a person familiar with the matter."
- Square Cash now lets you send money to friends from your Apple Watch - iMore - "Square Cash, an app that lets you quickly money to your friends, has been updated with support for the Apple Watch. You can now send money, approve requests, and more right from your wrist."
- Revel Systems, POS Industry Leader, Extends its Series C to $110 Million to Expand its Industry Leadership - "While looking for a strategic investment in commerce, we came to understand that Revel's cloud-based POS platform is uniquely positioned to control payments and commerce, not just in physical stores but across the whole omni-channel," said Gordon Fallone, Managing Director at ROTH Capital Partners. Revel's POS platform is uniquely scalable, from small SMB locations with one terminal to large enterprises with high volumes and multiple terminals."
On the Wires:
- Richmond Fed's Economic Quarterly Looks at Durbin Amendment Impact on Merchants - "Based on a survey conducted two years after the regulation went into effect in 2011, Richmond Fed economist Zhu Wang and his co-authors Scarlett Schwartz and Neil Mitchell investigate the impact of the regulation on the costs to merchants of accepting debit cards. They also examine merchant reactions to the regulation in terms of changing prices and debit card restrictions. The survey results suggest that the regulation has had limited and unequal impact on merchants' debit-acceptance costs."
- Pay Anyone From Your Wrist - "The latest Square Cash release affords anyone the ability to quickly send a payment to friends, family, or anyone nearby conveniently from their Apple Watch. Beginning today, anyone can access the app on their Apple Watch by downloading the latest Square Cash app for iOS."
- Visa and QIWI Announce the Mass Launch of Contactless Smartphone Payments - "QIWI and Visa Inc. have announced implementation of a new stage of their strategic partnership, which has resulted in integration of Visa payWave's contactless technology into Visa QIWI Wallet."
- Star Wars Comes to Chase Disney Visa Credit Cards - "Marking the first Star Wars brand collaboration for a credit card for The Walt Disney Company, Chase Card Services and Disney, are putting The Force in Cardmembers’ wallets with the introduction of three exclusive Star Wars designs to the Disney Visa Credit Card family, accompanied by exciting, new and exclusive Star Wars perks for all Disney Visa Credit Cardmembers."
- First Tech Federal Credit Union and MasterCard Announce First U.S. Biometric Payments Pilot - "The pilot will test the potential of delivering greater security and convenience to First Tech’s U.S. cardholders by verifying identity via facial photographs or fingerprint scans conducted on smartphones."
- Capital Prepaid Offers Mobile Check Cashing to BlazePaysSM Visa® Prepaid Cardholders - "Our goal is to make the BlazePays Card the most convenient and economical payment tool for consumers," said Jay Kurian, President of Capital Prepaid. "With mobile check cashing, consumers can now load funds to a BlazePays Card regardless of where they reside in the U.S."
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for October 13-14 in Palo Alto, California followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on October 15 on the topic of Global Payments.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!