On the Web:
- Stripe + Alipay - Stripe Blog - "We’re adding support for Alipay to Checkout. Alipay is China’s most popular online payment method, used for over half of Chinese internet transactions."
- Forget Bitcoin: There’s A Better Model For Mobile Money - ReadWrite - "India is the best country to watch Bitcoin battle M-Pesa. India is a far bigger economy than Kenya; it is one of the big emerging economies that all global companies target."
- Retailer Target Lost Its Way Under Ousted CEO Gregg Steinhafel - Wall St. Journal - "Creative leeway—once the DNA of the chain affectionately dubbed 'Tar-zhay'—took a back seat to rigid performance metrics."
- Lawmakers in California Pass Bill That Updates Currency Law, Makes it Simpler to Use Bitcoin - NewsBTC - “This bill is intended to fine-tune current law to address Californians’ payment habits in the mobile and digital fields,” said the bill’s author, Roger Dickinson.
- FTC Settlement with Payment Processor Highlights Importance of Anti-Money Laundering Programs for Non-Bank Financial Institutions - "On June 11, 2014, the Federal Trade Commission (“FTC”) announced that it had entered into a stipulated permanent injunction with Independent Resources Network Corp., a payment processor, to settle charges that it knowingly assisted and facilitated a telemarking scam that swindled nearly $10 million from unsuspecting consumers."
On the Wires:
- Wal-Mart de Mexico y Centroamerica, Bancomer Transfer Services team up to make collecting remittances easier - "Remittances are an important part of the economy of many families we serve in Mexico," said Antonio Ocaranza, Corporate Communications director of Wal-Mart de Mexico y Centroamerica. "This partnership with Bancomer Transfer Services will give our customers an extraordinary way to receive family remittances from their relatives in the United States in an easy, fast, safe manner — and at convenient hours."
- Debit Cards Continue to Show Resilience after Turbulent Year - "The 2014 Debit Issuer Study, commissioned by PULSE, found sustained growth in both consumer and business debit in 2013. Financial institutions weathered the Target data breach and are looking for solutions to enhance security, with many issuers now planning to implement EMV debit, the study shows."
- America First Credit Union adds Location-Based Offers, Loans to Mobile Banking App Built on Mobiliti from Fiserv - “Our strategy for our mobile app is to add as much functionality to it as we can, so that the mobile channel becomes both a competitive differentiator and a member delighter,” said Brice Mindrum, mobile services manager, America First Credit Union. “These updates were driven by a desire to better serve members and deliver convenience along with a bit of a ‘wow’ factor.”
- PowaPOS Partners with iConnect to Meet Growing Demand for Next-Generation Tablet-Based POS Solutions - “Outdated, cumbersome legacy and proprietary POS systems simply aren’t meeting the needs of today’s merchants, especially those looking to prepare for the coming EMV transition,” said Jeffrey Dumbrell, CEO, PowaPOS. “With this partnership, PowaPOS and iConnect make it easy to replace those systems and have all the power, sophistication and security of the most advanced integrated POS system on the market.”
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.; Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Glenbrook Payments Insights Workshops: Bitcoin: Basics and Beyond, June 25 in New York City.
- Money2020 has become the go-to event in payments. We'll be there in force... will you? Use this promo code to register "GLENBR20"
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews