On the web:
- The Biggest iPhone 5S Feature Nobody's Talking About - Minyanville - "Whereas NFC relies on inexpensive tags at very close proximity to trigger an action, iBeacons uses small wireless sensors equipped with Bluetooth low energy (BLE) that can detect an iPhone at a wide variety of ranges up to roughly 160 feet..."
- NFC has lost the chance to be the m-payments standard - Rethink Wireless - "We suspect there is a large team in Mountain View scrabbling to catch up in BLE, and that could see NFC's dreams fading quickly."
- Apple iBeacon, PayPal Beacon and BLE – What does it all mean? - VeriFone Blog (Erik Vlugt) - "This industry, and consumers by extension, would be well served by resisting the desire to horse race every emerging technology in blogs like this one. Instead we can spend our time trying to figure out how to create richer, lower-friction, and exciting consumer experiences by leveraging emerging technology." <- [Ed. - Indeed!]
- Who’s Who in Bitcoin: Web Payments Wunderkind Manu Sporny - IEEE Spectrum - "When paying is as easy as clicking “pay” on a website, Bitcoin will be much more valuable..."
- Can Retail Payment Systems be Profitable and Inclusive? - CGAP Blog - "Called ACTA (Accounts, Cash-in-cash-out, Transactions and Adjacencies)1, this framework helps us think about how various providers make money in different payment systems (and with different instruments), and how relevant these approaches are for poor people."
- Didja Hear About McDonald’s Big Isis Payments Test? Neither Did Anyone Else - Storefront Backtalk - "All that was missing was any identification anywhere of the fact that this was a test of Isis."
- The Death of the NFC Mobile Wallet? - Bank Systems & Technology - "Could this be a signal the market is moving away from NFC payments?"
- Chili’s to install tabletop tablets from Ziosk - Chain Store Age - "With the primary purpose of enhancing the guest experience, the Ziosk seven-inch tablet will be displayed on each table in the restaurant, giving patrons the ability to interactively peruse menu items and specials as well as order beverages and desserts."
On the wires:
- Jumio Launches Face Match to Enable More Reliable Customer Verification - "This new capability helps Jumio's Netverify customers assess the extent to which a photo on an ID presented during a mobile or online transaction matches the customer's actual face."
- Near Field Communication Forum Announces Paula Hunter as New Executive Director - "Her distinguished career includes executive roles at the Outercurve Foundation, SEMPO, Open Source Development Labs (OSDL), and UnitedLinux."
- PULSE Upgrades DebitProtect® to Enhance Comprehensive Fraud Mitigation Service - "The enhanced system allows transactions to be blocked in real time, enabling PULSE participants to respond faster to suspected fraud before more fraud is perpetrated on a card, thus reducing losses and decreasing cardholder impact."
- Digital River and Meridian Global Services Offer Cross-Border Merchants a Global Online Payments and Value Added Tax Solution - "Now, by working with Meridian, Digital River can extend its VAT advisory and remittance capabilities as a companion offering to its Digital River World Payments solution."
- Polaris Launches Advanced Payments Hub at Sibos 2013 in Dubai - "The Payments Hub combines transaction processing on a channel agnostic platform with the flexibility to configure to meet changing customer needs, regulatory reforms and operational arrangements."
- Daniela Mielke Joins Vantiv as Chief Strategy Officer - "Most recently, Mielke served as Vice President of Global Strategy at PayPal where she was responsible for developing strategies for the company's future."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join us for our new series of Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps coming this October - 8th/9th in the San Francisco Bay Area and 23rd/24th in New York City!
- Glenbrook's Allen Weinberg and Erin McCune will be at Money2020 in Las Vegas October 6-10 - please reach out to them directly to catch up in person or set up a briefing at the conference. Erin will be moderating an Invoicing, Billing & Collections panel with Bill.com CEO Rene Lacerte, Billtrust CEO Flint Lane and Billhighway Chairman Vince Thomas.
- Glenbrook's Elizabeth McQuerry will be speaking at this year's NACHA Global Payments Forum on October 17-18 in New York City. She'll be speaking on the topic "Mobile Payments, Interoperability & Faster Funds Transfer".
- Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson will be speaking at this year's American Bankers Association Annual Convention on October 20-22 in New Orleans. She'll be participating in a panel discussion on The Future of the Payments Industry.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews