On the Web:
- Apple Store app updated with Apple Pay support - iMore.com - "You can use Apple Pay both when ordering online, as well as when checking out at an Apple Store with EasyPay."
- OpenTable adds Apple Pay support for iPhone in three US cities - iMore.com - "OpenTable, the popular restauant reservation service, has updated its iPhone app that adds Apple Pay support..."
- Bank of England payment system crashes - Guardian - The Bank of England said it had “identified a technical issue related to some routine maintenance of the RTGS payment system and has paused settlement while we resolve it”.
- Apple Pay Rolls Out, With Holes in System - Wall St. Journal - "Many retailers—including the nation’s largest, Wal-Mart Stores Inc. —aren’t part of Apple’s network. Only a minority have machines capable of reading the near-field communication radio signal that makes Apple Pay work."
- Apple Pay Faces Lighter Compliance Than Paypal, Google - WSJ Risk and Compliance Journal - “If the device maker does not accept and transmit value, and just transmits encrypted card information that is used by the regular payment system to process the payment among regular participants, it wouldn’t be a money transmitter...”
- Recurly Raises $12M To Chart the Future of Recurring Billing - Recurly Blog - "We are excited about bringing on a new set of world-class investors - Devonshire Partners and Greycroft Partners - who will add to our existing bench comprised of Polaris Partners, e.ventures, Harrison Metal and Freestyle.vc."
On the Wires:
- Bitnet Technologies, Bitcoin Payment Service Provider, Raises $14.5 Million in Series A Funding - "Bitnet Technologies today announced it has closed a $14.5 million Series A funding round led by Highland Capital Partners. In addition to Highland, new investors include Rakuten, the largest ecommerce site in Japan and one of the world's largest by sales."
- Bank of America Makes Apple Pay Available to Customers and Merchants - “We are committed to giving our customers what they want – simple ways to pay for everyday things – so they can get on to the more important aspects of their lives,” said Thong Nguyen, president of Retail Banking at Bank of America. “Apple Pay is another great example of how we are improving the financial lives of our customers.”
- Apple Pay Available for Wells Fargo Customers and Merchants - “Today we’re pleased to make Apple Pay available for Wells Fargo customers. As our customers live their increasingly digital lives, we continue to evaluate new innovative technologies, prioritizing payment safety, quality of service and ease of use for our customers,” said Jim Smith, head of Virtual Channels for Wells Fargo.
- TSYS Releases its Fourth Annual Consumer Payment Preferences Study - "TSYS provides relevant data and information to help our clients — and the wider payments industry — understand the consumer behind every payment," said Sarah Hartman, senior director, TSYS.
- Compass Plus powers Klarna’s global expansion - “We have chosen to use TranzAxis as transaction engine for our global expansion as we believe this will enable us to move fast to new markets while never risking losing core stability,” says Yuval Samet, Chief Product Officer at Klarna.
- Walgreens Begins Accepting Apple Pay in Stores - “Customer experience is top of mind for Walgreens, and Apple Pay provides more flexibility for customers to use their payment of choice,” said Alex Gourlay, President, Customer Experience and Daily Living, Walgreens. “Incorporating the latest mobile technology into our business is another way we are offering ultimate convenience for our customers.”
- Office Depot Stores Now Accept Apple Pay - “With Apple Pay, we’re pleased to provide our Office Depot store customers with expanded check-out options that enhance the shopping experience with a quick, convenient and secure way to pay for purchases,” said Troy Rice, executive vice president, retail for Office Depot, Inc.
- FIS Achieves New ISO 22301 Certification on Business Continuity – One of the First Fortune 500 Firms to Announce This Certification - “FIS is proud of being an early adopter of the ISO 22301 standard. In today’s environment, with heavy reliance on outsourcing, customers need to be very diligent about their vendor resilience,” said Kaivan Rahbari, Chief Risk Officer – FIS North America.
- Cautious but Climbing: Synchrony Financial’s Third Annual Major Purchase Consumer Study Shows Confidence on the Rise - “For the third consecutive year, our Major Purchase Consumer Study has tracked the importance of digital tools for research, and these latest findings confirm more consumers and omni-channel shoppers are now purchasing bigger ticket items online,” said Toni White, chief marketing officer of Synchrony Financial.
- PULSE Introduces Comprehensive Consulting Service for Financial Institutions - “Our 30-plus years of helping financial institutions succeed in debit gives PULSE a unique perspective and experience in delivering comprehensive solutions that positively impact their bottom line,” said Annette Harris, director of Marketing at PULSE and practice lead for PULSE InSights.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- The next session of Glenbrook's Payments Boot Camp is going to be held Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Glenbrook's Bitcoin: Basics and Beyond Workshop will be held Nov 19 in New York City
- Money20/20 as become the go-to event in payments... we'll be there in force. The agenda is now available and the event is 90% sold out - if you've been waiting, it's time to register! Use this promo code to register and receive a 20% discount: "GLENBR20"
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews