On the web:
- Bump Mobile Contact Sharing App Acquired By Google, Will Stay Alive For Now - TechCrunch - "The acquisition also scores Google a trove of mobile communication patents that it could use to help nearby devices sync up."
- Capital One exits Isis pilot - NFC World - "...Capital One has told NFC World, "our pilot test with Isis will be coming to an end soon."
- PayPal and Apple drop mobile payments bombshells - Internet Retailer - "Many industry observers have said when Apple finally embeds an NFC chip in iPhones, mobile payments would move into the mainstream. But Apple now has embraced Bluetooth Low Energy, not NFC."
- A Peek at Walt Disney World's Ambitious Payments Renovation - PaymentsSource (Daniel Wolfe) - "The wristband is a colorful, waterproof and heat-resistant bracelet that stores a digital token representing the patron's linked credit card, hotel key, theme park ticket and Fastpass..."
- Facebook Sunsets Credits, Transitions To Local Currencies To Boost International Payments - TechCrunch - Facebook’s payments team leader Deb Liu tells me “Most users were actually spending in one game or a couple of games. Local currency payments were benefiting [developers] more than using Credits.”
- World’s Largest Bitcoin Exchange Out $10 Million - Wired Enterprise - "The news is yet another reason to wonder about the future of Bitcoin, which continues to be squeezed by the country’s banks and regulators."
On the wires:
- Accenture Helps YSPay Roll Out New Mobile Payments Solution in China - "YSPay’s new mobile payments solution uses phone numbers to process payments – merchants type phone numbers to initiate payment processing and consumers receive a text confirming the payment will be sent."
- MoneyGram and Ukash Launch Money Transfer Service - “There are thousands of people living and working in the UK who don’t have access to conventional banking or credit facilities or prefer not to use them for online transactions,” said Tim Summers, head of strategic partnerships, MoneyGram.
- MasterCard Re-Envisions Digital Storytelling Through 21ST Century Newsroom and Blog - "The reimagined newsroom dubbed The Engagement Bureau and the redesigned Cashless Pioneers Blog will make up a MasterCard conversation and publishing ecosystem that helps people engage with the brand, discover amazing and sharable content and immerse them in a discussion around the benefits of digital payments technology..."
- Fiserv Unveils FATCA Monitoring and Control Solution on its Financial Crime Risk Management Platform - "FATCA Manager allows financial institutions to use proven detection, workflow and reporting capabilities to assist with ongoing compliance."
- Primax Announces Its Advantage Credit Card Issuing Program Now Includes No Cost Cash-Back Rewards - "Primax developed the Advantage Program to simplify and speed entry into the credit card issuing arena, and enable even smaller banks and credit unions to offer a competitive issuing program."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join us for our new series of Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps coming this October - 8th/9th in the San Francisco Bay Area and 23rd/24th in New York City!
- Glenbrook's Allen Weinberg and Erin McCune will be at Money2020 in Las Vegas October 6-10 - please reach out to them directly to catch up in person or set up a briefing at the conference. Erin will be moderating an Invoicing, Billing & Collections panel with Bill.com CEO Rene Lacerte, Billtrust CEO Flint Lane and Billhighway Chairman Vince Thomas.
- Glenbrook's Elizabeth McQuerry will be speaking at this year's NACHA Global Payments Forum on October 17-18 in New York City. She'll be speaking on the topic "Mobile Payments, Interoperability & Faster Funds Transfer".
- Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson will be speaking at this year's American Bankers Association Annual Convention on October 20-22 in New Orleans. She'll be participating in a panel discussion on The Future of the Payments Industry.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews