On the Web:
- Private-Equity Consortium in $3 Billion Deal to Buy Nordic Payment Company - Wall St. Journal - "Bain Capital and Advent International, together with Danish pension fund ATP, have agreed to buy Nordic card-payment company Nets for 17 billion Danish kroner ($3.14 billion) from a group of Scandinavian banks."
- Square Releases Spanish Version Of POS App To Support Latino Businesses - TechCrunch - "Square is releasing its point of sale app, Register, in Spanish, in an effort to onboard more Latino businesses."
- Sources: Credit Card Breach at California DMV - Krebs on Security - "The California Department of Motor Vehicles appears to have suffered a wide-ranging credit card data breach involving online payments for DMV-related services..."
- Why So Many Retail Stores Get Hacked for Credit Card Data - Bloomberg BusinessWeek - “Basically you have the council blaming the victim, the victim blaming the standard, and the cardholder caught in the middle,” he says.
- Enter The Blockchain: How Bitcoin Can Turn The Cloud Inside Out - TechCrunch (Jon Evans) - "Maybe, just maybe, our online future is actually bright, and peer-to-peer, and encrypted end-to-end, and maybe even open-source and far less overtly commercial than today — and built, in part, on blockchains."
- Academics Spy Weaknesses in Bitcoin’s Foundations - "One conclusion drawn by Kroll and his Princeton colleagues Ian Davey and Ed Felton is that those rules will have to be significantly changed if Bitcoin is to last."
- W3C Workshop on Web & Payment - How do you want to pay? - "The goals for this workshop are to bring together people from a variety of relevant backgrounds to discuss the opportunities and motivation for open standards for Web payments, and to discuss whether it is timely to initiate standardization and what additional work is needed to accompany that."
On the Wires:
- Milestone moment for V.me by Visa as fifteen leading European payment service providers join forces to promote the service to retailers - "Visa Europe has today announced new partnerships with fifteen European Internet Payment Service Providers (IPSPs), giving the V.me by Visa digital wallet service access to their extensive e-commerce merchant portfolios, and supporting the continued growth and availability of the multi-market wallet service."
- Nordea to divest all its shares in Nets Holding A/S - "As the payments industry is becoming increasingly complex and international, Nets needs a strong experienced owner with a clear strategic vision to take the Company to the next level of its development. Nordea believes its divestment and the new owner will be beneficial for the Company and the customers of Nets."
- Statement on Credit Card Processing Issue - California Department of Motor Vehicles - "There is no evidence at this time of a direct breach of the DMV’s computer system. However, out of an abundance of caution and in the interest of protecting the sensitive information of California drivers, the DMV has opened an investigation into any potential security breach in conjunction with state and federal law enforcement."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: May 6-7 and Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews