ON THE WEB
- PayPal Brings Money Transfers to Cuba - Fortune - "PayPal CEO Dan Schulman, who is visiting Cuba this week along with President Obama, U.S. Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker, and many other CEOs, said that PayPal would start allowing money transfers to and from Cuba later this year."
- Powa: The start-up that fell to earth - BBC - "Its demise has raised questions about the health of London's much vaunted fintech (financial technology) sector, and about the wisdom of sky-high valuations for unproven businesses."
ON THE WIRES
- Wells Fargo Introduces Go FarTM Rewards - "Through the program, customers can redeem their rewards at any Wells Fargo ATM, use rewards toward their qualifying Wells Fargo checking or savings account or apply toward the principal balance of a qualifying Wells Fargo line or loan. Customers can also take advantage of options to pool rewards with other customers, gift rewards to other customers or to charity, create wish lists and more – all while on-the-go."
- Federal Agencies Release Guidance to Issuing Banks on Applying Customer Identification Program Requirements to Holders of Prepaid Cards - "The guidance clarifies that a bank's CIP should apply to the holders of certain prepaid cards issued by the institution as well as holders of such prepaid cards purchased under arrangements with third-party program managers that sell, distribute, promote, or market the prepaid cards on the bank's behalf."
- Stripe to allow Cuban nationals to set up a U.S. business entity, bank account, and more - “Today's announcement and our work with President Obama here in Havana are about facilitating a smooth path for Cuban entrepreneurs into the modern global economy," said Patrick Collison, CEO of Stripe. "The promise of the internet is that geography should be largely irrelevant. But that is not yet true. Especially here in Cuba, people simply do not have access to the high-quality banking or payments infrastructure they need to join the internet economy."
- Ripple Continues Global Growth With New London Office to Serve European Bank Demand - "With the opening of the London office, Managing Director Daniel Aranda is relocating from Ripple’s San Francisco headquarters to lead the company’s European presence. Aranda was among Ripple’s first employees and has served as a key member of the company’s business development team since 2013, helping shape the overall company strategy and build the customer pipeline."
- Western Union Expands in Cuba: Connects the World - “As the first U.S. Company with scale to move money from across the world to Cuba, we welcome the regulatory and policy changes put in place by the U.S. government that allow us to offer these services,” said Odilon Almeida, President of the Americas and European Union.
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming up in early April - both in New York City - we hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - New York City - April 5-6
- Insight Workshop - New York City - Global Payments - April 7
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!