ON THE WEB
- Inside the $5 Billion Company That Will Launch Your Business - Inc. (Maria Aspan) - "Since 2010, Collison and his older brother, Stripe co-founder and CEO Patrick Collison, have spent almost every waking moment making it as fast and easy as possible to handle other people's money online."
- What Starbucks Can Teach Apple and Facebook - Bloomberg Gadfly - "Getting one out of every five orders through its smartphone app is an impressive feat for Starbucks, considering mobile payments accounted for just 2.1 percent of U.S. retail sales last year..."
- Introducing Braintree Auth - Braintree Blog - "Braintree Auth enables Braintree merchants to more easily integrate with Braintree partners by authorizing them to perform services on their behalf such as -- allowing for actions such as enabling payments on an e-commerce store or accessing transaction data for an analytics or accounting service."
- Google Wallet is shutting down its debit card - Quartz (Ian Kar) - "Amid a companywide effort to cull money-losing operations, Google is shutting down its Google Wallet debit card, the company confirmed in a blog post today."
- Immediate Funds Availability Resonates With Many Small Businesses - "Financial institutions that provide immediate funds availability stand to benefit in several key ways, including improved share of wallet and differentiation for small business customers."
- Marijuana Companies Stuck Doing Business the Old-Fashioned Way, in Cash - Wall St. Journal - "Two years after Colorado fully legalized the sale of marijuana, most banks here still don’t offer services to the businesses involved."
ON THE WIRES
- Walmart’s Family of Cards Makes it as Easy as 3-2-1 to Manage Finances for Less - “The Walmart MoneyCard and Walmart Credit Card have proven to be valuable tools in our customers’ wallets, helping them manage their money for less. The new 3-2-1 Save program simplifies and strengthens the card proposition for more than 10 million cardholders and helps add even more value to their Walmart purchases no matter how they choose to shop with us.”
- More Than 100 Amazon Dash Buttons Now Available, Giving Prime Members the Easiest Way to Order Thousands of Products - "Members can now choose from over 100 Dash Buttons representing top-name brands across dozens of retail categories and thousands of products. With Dash Buttons, Prime members never have to worry about running out of everyday household essentials from coffee to condoms, and snacks to soda. When a customer sees supplies running low, they simply press a Dash Button to order."
- American Express Launches Two New Co-Branded Cards with Charles Schwab - "Designed to meet the different needs of a diverse customer base, the cards include a credit card and a premium charge card, both with exceptional rewards, benefits and services, including unlimited cash-back features."
- Bank of America Makes Online Payments Seamless With Visa Checkout - "Bank of America announced today that it will pre-select customers’ eligible Visa cards for enrollment in Visa Checkout directly from Online Banking. Bank of America is one of the first banks to integrate its cards into Visa Checkout and provide seamless enrollment directly from its site, eliminating added steps and making it easier than ever for customers to shop online, on any device."
- CARE Makes Donating More Convenient with Popmoney - "Accepting donations via Popmoney will allow us to connect with more potential donors through the giving channels they prefer," said Tolli Love, vice president of fundraising and marketing, CARE USA. "We will also be able to reduce the costs associated with processing donations, which means more money will go to fight the impact of poverty around the world."
- U.S. Bank Offers Customers Touch ID for More Convenient Mobile Banking - “We have been looking at ways to use biometrics such as voice and fingerprint to authenticate identification for several years,” said Gareth Gaston, executive vice president and head of omnichannel banking at U.S. Bank.
- Microsoft outlines intelligence vision and announces new innovations for Windows 10 - "Wednesday, Microsoft announced new additions to the Cortana Intelligence Suite, both in preview. The first, Microsoft Cognitive Services, is a collection of intelligence APIs that allows systems to see, hear, speak, understand and interpret our needs using natural methods of communication. The second, the Microsoft Bot Framework, can be used by developers — programming in any language — to build intelligent bots that enable customers to chat using natural language..."
- GE Capital Files Request for Rescission of Status as a Systemically Important Financial Institution - "The filing demonstrates that GE Capital has substantially reduced its risk profile and is significantly less interconnected to the financial system, and therefore does not pose any conceivable threat to U.S. financial stability."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming up in early April - both in New York City - we hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - New York City - April 5-6
- Insight Workshop - New York City - Global Payments - April 7
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!