ON THE WEB
- MCX postpones rollout of Apple Pay rival CurrentC, lays off 30, will focus on bank deals - TechCrunch - "Merchant Customer Exchange (MCX) today announced it would postpone a nationwide rollout of CurrentC, a smartphone payment initiative originally conceived as a mobile wallet rival to smartphone-led services like Apple Pay and Android Pay."
- Walmart Pay rolled out across 600 stores in Texas and Arkansas - ZDNet - "The service, first announced in December, allows customers to make payments on Apple and Android devices with almost all major credit, debit and pre-paid cards or Walmart gift cards."
- Apple Talk 02: Betting against Apple Pay - iMore - "On this episode Gartenberg, Caldwell, and Ritchie are joined by Daniel Bader to discuss the challenges Apple Pay faces when it comes to global expansion and consumer adoption."
- Confused By Blockchain? Separating Revolution from Evolution - CoinDesk - "Ask a policymaker what they want, they’ll say financial inclusion. Ask them what they don’t want, and many will say bitcoin: the most financially inclusive tool we have ever seen.";
ON THE WIRES
- Visa Checkout Expands Presence Across Top Travel, Tourism and Fashion Sites - "...Visa announced that a new and diverse set of merchants across the web including Alaska Airlines, Chick-fil-A, Cole Haan, Emirates and Wyndam Hotel Group have signed on to offer Visa Checkout for fast and easy online and mobile payments."
- Breezeworks™ and Square Now Offer Instantaneous Payments for Mobile Pros - “With QuickBooks handling accounting chores, Square offered as an additional payment processing option and the Breezeworks platform managing work flow and customer contact, our customers now have best-in-class tools for every aspect of their businesses.”
- UnionPay International's Promotion of Overseas Card Issuance Welcomed by Inbound Tourists - Cai Jianbo, CEO of UnionPay International, said, "With UnionPay's vision of building a 'global network and international brand', we keep improving our overseas acceptance network and service system, not only providing payment convenience for the Chinese to 'go abroad' but also paying more attention to overseas consumers."
- LoanStar Launches Innovative Point-of-Sale Lending Platform - "The proprietary MerchantLinQ platform, an industry first, is a free-to-use toolset that merchants can utilize to increase sales."
- X Lab Announces Launch of Indiegogo Campaign for Spendwallet - An Innovative Smart Wallet - "Spendwallet utilizes a revolutionary self-developed antenna and pulse emitting technology called magnetic flux emulation technology (MFE) that allows consumers to securely and electronically store all types of cards on one device, without the need for the physical card."
PAYMENTS IN PORTLAND
- Join us for the next Payments in Portland (Oregon) event being held on Tuesday, June 7th. Details here!
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming this fall - in Palo Alto, CA and New York City - we hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - October 11-12
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Data in Payments - October 13
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!