On the Web:
- Amazon to expand into real-world payments with new Amazon Local Commerce business - FierceWireless - "It appears that, with Amazon Local Commerce, the company will position itself among mobile payment companies like PayPal, Square, Google Wallet and Isis..."
- All Virtual Currency Companies Operating or Desiring to Operate in Texas - State of Texas Department of Banking - "This supervisory memorandum outlines the policy of the Texas Department of Banking (Department) with regard to virtual currencies. This policy expresses the Department's interpretation of the Texas Money Services Act, and the application of its interpretation to various activities involving virtual currencies."
- Google Wallet Loses Another Top Executive - Wall St. Journal - "Peter Hazlehurst, director of product management at Google Wallet, has left the Internet company..."
- Pre-paid Cards Enter the Credit Market, Thwarting the Primacy Impetus for Using the Cards - Credit Slips (Nathalie Martin) - "While none of the other big prepaid card issuers (besides Netspend) have started offering overdraft "protection," if the CFPB prepaid rules permit overdraft and credit on prepaid cards, it is likely that other providers will begin to offer this feature as well."
- Xapo CEO: A Bitcoin Could Be Worth $1M in 10 Years - WSJ Live - "Wences Casares, co-founder and CEO of Bitcoin firm Xapo, sits down with WSJ's Evelyn Rusli to talk about Bitcoin's potential..."
- Dining with a digital wallet - Best of Toronto - "Now you’re fumbling through your wallet to find change, all the while balancing your umbrella in one hand and adjusting your laptop bag over your shoulder. Is there a better way to settle payment without all the fuss?Yes, with the PayPal mobile app."
- Ending credit card fraud is the real ‘ROI’ sought by retailers - NRF Blog - "But in spending the $30 billion-plus it could take to replace every credit card reader in America, retailers have one overriding demand – let’s provide consumers with all of the security that’s available, not just a piece of it."
- Tesco pivots iBeacon focus towards customer service. Will others follow? - "Tesco’s pilot indicates that retailers solely focusing on beacon-triggered sales are missing out on a bigger opportunity with in-store customer service."
On the Wires:
- Sens. Warner & Kirk Propose Enhanced Consumer Protections for Debit Cards - "U.S. Sens. Mark R. Warner (D-VA) and Mark Kirk (R-IL) today introduced the Consumer Debit Card Protection Act of 2014 (CDCPA), designed to increase consumer protections and reduce liability caps when debit cardholders are hit by fraud."
- 2014 AFP Payments Fraud and Control Survey - "The report reveals that a majority of organizations continued to be impacted by payments fraud in 2013 and are on heightened alert as a result of the recent security breaches at major retailers."
- Snap, Tag, Sync: Keeping Track of Business Expenses Gets Even Easier as American Express OPEN and Intuit Launch ReceiptMatchSM with QuickBooks® - "This first-of-its-kind mobile and desktop integration is designed to help small businesses seamlessly sync Business Card expenses with QuickBooks, helping to alleviate end-of-the-month pileups of expense receipts."
- VeriFone Mobile Payment Solutions Are Visa Ready - “By validating the security of our mPOS technology, the Visa Ready approval gives our clients added peace of mind in knowing that they are better managing and growing their business with mPOS solutions that enhance payment security.”
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: May 6-7 and Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews