ON THE WEB
- 2016 Payment Predictions - FRB Atlanta - Take on Payments Blog - "In our 2015 year-end review, we promised we would provide some predictions and expectations for payments in the United States during 2016. Predictions are usually pretty…unpredictable, so by waiting a couple of months to release ours, we're hoping they will end up being more accurate than usual."
- How Walmart Pay could help the mass merchant compete against Amazon - Mobile Commerce Daily - "By rolling out Walmart Pay, Walmart now has to walk a fine line of engaging mobile customers who’ve come to rely on this convenience while still catering to those less inclined to try out the new payment experience."
ON THE WIRES
- GSMA and Mobile Operators Launch Initiative to Extend Mobile Money and Mobile Internet to Women Globally - "The GSMA today announced the launch of the Connected Women Commitment Initiative, aimed at reducing the mobile gender gap. Initial commitments by GSMA operator members, with over 75 million mobile internet and mobile money customers, will aim to connect millions more women in low- and middle-income countries by 2020."
- PayPal Extends Mobile Leadership and Consumer Choice With New Partnerships and Product Innovations - "PayPal announced a collaboration with one of Europe’s largest mobile carriers, Vodafone, where millions of PayPal’s European customers will be able to fund payments on Android smartphones at Visa contactless terminals using the Vodafone Wallet. The service will start in Spain and expand to additional European markets later this year."
- Visa Extends Secure Payments to the Automotive Industry - “The notion of transforming a car into a platform for payments is not as far off as some may think, and we have made a great deal of progress since first introducing the idea one year ago,” said Jim McCarthy, executive vice president of innovation and strategic partnerships, Visa Inc. “Working with Honda to test these prototypes gets us another step closer toward commercial reality, which we think provides exciting opportunities to everyone who plays a role in the payments and automotive ecosystems.”
- Visa Checkout Launching Across Europe and India - "Since its introduction in 2014, Visa Checkout has launched in 16 countries, with usage growing to more than 11 million consumer accounts and acceptance by more than 250,000 merchants. In 2016, the service will reach a total of 22 markets around the world, including Australia, Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, France, Hong Kong, Ireland, India, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Poland, Singapore, Spain, South Africa, United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom and the United States."
- Visa Brings Secure Payments to the Internet of Things - "The first IoT companies to join the Visa Ready Program will focus on payments for wearables and automobiles. Initial Visa Ready partners include Accenture, Coin, Giesecke & Devrient, Fit Pay, and Samsung, who will work with device manufacturers including Chronos and Pebble, to help embed secure payments in consumer devices and have those devices certified as Visa Ready."
- Coin Launches Developer Program to Enable Access to MasterCard’s Tokenization Platform and Accelerate Payments in Wearables - “Signing up for the Coin developer program gives wearables manufacturers transparent access to a turnkey solution,” said Kanishk Parashar, CEO and Co-Founder of Coin. “The program makes commerce accessible to device makers as payments on wearables become table stakes. We are confident that our miniaturized and secure payment technology, combined with MasterCard’s tokenization, will benefit our wearables partners with increased engagement of their products.”
- American Express, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa Purchase Volume Up 7.8% in 2015 - David Robertson, publisher of The Nilson Report, said, “For the third year in a row, the percentage increase for purchase volume on Visa credit cards was better than any other credit or debit card type.”
- Samsung Pay Continues Global Momentum in 2016 - "In 2016, Samsung Pay will start global expansion beginning with China in March, followed by Australia, Brazil, Singapore, Spain and the U.K. later in the year. Additionally, Canada will be added to the new launch roadmap."
- Samsung Pay coming to MBNA customers in the UK - Ian O’Doherty, CEO of MBNA, said: “Our customers are looking to MBNA as the credit card experts to deliver handy new ways to pay – ways that offer them convenience, speed and safety. We’re investing in delivering our customers Samsung Pay at the earliest opportunity, showing how we’re helping make life easier for them.”
- Wincor Nixdorf and Mahindra Comviva Partner to Enable NFC and QR Code Based Transactions at the ATM With Mobiquity® Wallet - "With advent of this new solution, consumers using mobile wallets powered by Mahindra Comviva's mobiquity® Wallet will be able to withdraw cash and top up their mobile wallets at the ATM by simply scanning or presenting a QR code or use their NFC enabled mobile device."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Here's a quick reminder that we have two of our Glenbrook payments education events coming up later this month - both in Palo Alto, California - we hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!