On the Web:
- Explain Bitcoin Like I’m Five - Medium (nikSter) - "We didn’t need a third person there to help us make the transfer. We didn’t need to pull in Uncle Tommy (who’s a famous judge) to sit with us on the bench and confirm that the apple went from me to you."
- Bitcoin Series 15 - The discontinuity that is bitcoin - Ledra Capital - "Bitcoin is like that. It won't replace the financial system, the Fed or the nation-state. It will supplement the financial system in a big and important way, push it to be more innovative and efficient and, finally, will merge with it, in the same way that IP delivery has crept into telephony and video infrastructure over time."
- German Central Bank Official Issues Another Bitcoin Warning - CoinDesk - "He stressed that regulators and central bankers across Europe are discussing bitcoin and trying to raise public awareness, but so far no concrete action has been taken, apart from public warnings."
- Bitcoin me: How to make your own digital currency - Guardian - "It turns out, though, that cloning bitcoin is actually harder than it looks."
- Bezos-backed money transfer startup Remitly lands $5.5M - GeekWire - "A TechStars Seattle grad formerly known as BeamIt Mobile, Remitly has created a cheaper and faster method for individuals to send money across borders."
- 8 Retail Predictions in “Store” for 2014 - VeriFone Blog - "As it is the start of the year we thought we would have a look at some of the issues that will be impacting retail stores in 2014 and try and predict some of the trends and challenges we’ll see along the way as retailers respond."
On the Wires:
- Mercury Unveils Mobile- and Social-Powered Gift Card and Rewards Service to Help Small Business Merchants Grow - “With Mercury StoreCard, we’re making gift card and rewards programs simple for the consumer to use and simple for the merchant to manage,” said Travis Priest, vice president of value added services for Mercury.
- Paymetric Launches Solution to Automate Reconciliation Reporting - "XiRecon is available to help enterprises seamlessly and automatically consolidate reporting from multiple sources to a single report within SAP and streamlines the reconciliation process across the business."
- SWIFT announces KYC Registry and dedicated Financial Crime Compliance unit - "The new service will provide banks with access to a central repository of up-to-date institutional information collected by SWIFT from participating banks. SWIFT will host and manage the utility, verifying the completeness, validity and accuracy of the data provided, whilst member banks will retain ownership of and responsibility for their own information."
- EPC and Cards Stakeholders Group publish the SEPA Cards Standardisation Volume ready for market implementation - "This document defines a standard set of requirements to ensure an interoperable and scalable card and terminal infrastructure across SEPA, based on open international card standards."
- Jack Henry & Associates to Offer American Express® FX International Payments - "The DirectLine International™ solution from Jack Henry & Associates now includes access to FX International Payments' competitive foreign exchange (FX) rates and fees, dedicated customer service, and straight through processing of payments."
- Infinite Peripherals™ Launches Infinea BluePad™ Chip and PIN Mobile POS Device for iOS and Android™ - "Infinite Peripherals, Inc. (IPC) today introduced the Infinea BluePad, a mobile payment solution that includes PIN entry, a contact chip smart card reader and a magnetic stripe reader with Bluetooth connectivity."
- William Lamar, Jr. Joins Sionic Mobile’s Board of Directors - "Most recently, Lamar was chief marketing officer of McDonald’s USA, the world's leading global foodservice retailer, where he was responsible for marketing, marketing research, advertising and new product development for its nearly 14,000 restaurants."
- Wright Express Australia Signs Country’s Leading Transport Fuel Supplier and Convenience Retailer - "WEX Inc. today announced the signing of a new company-wide deal with Australia’s leading transport fuel supplier and convenience retailer, Caltex Australia, to accept the Wright Express fuel card."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews