On the Web
- Payments Revenue Growth to Slow After Banner Year, McKinsey Says - Bloomberg - "Banks “must think broadly and strategically about the future of cross-border payments, and do so soon, because the industry is already on the move,” according to the report."
- Blockstream to Launch First Sidechain for Bitcoin Exchanges - CoinDesk - "Dubbed Liquid, the unlaunched offering will serve bitcoin exchanges, payment processors and traders by reducing the time in which bitcoin-denominated funds can be transferred between accounts at these institutions."
- Introducing Liquid: Bitcoin's First Production Sidechain - Blockstream Blog - "Liquid will improve capital efficiency and market liquidity by facilitating rapid and secure transfers between accounts held at any participating exchange or brokerage."
- Credit Card Breach at America’s Thrift Stores - Krebs on Security - “This breach allowed criminals from Eastern Europe unauthorized access to some payment card numbers,” the company’s CEO said in a statement.
On the Wires
- PayPal Announces “Return Shipping on Us” in the U.S. to Make Online Shopping Easier This Holiday Season - "Today, PayPal announced the expansion of Return Shipping on Us, a service that refunds return shipping costs to consumers on eligible online purchases using PayPal from around the globe. The service will now be available to PayPal users in the United States, in addition to the nearly 40 markets in which it already exists."
- IDology Announces Strategic Equity Investment in Payfone and Launch of ExpectID Mobile to Enhance Mobile Security and Ease of Use - "IDology is an excellent strategic partner for Payfone as we continue to develop solutions that help businesses fight mobile fraud," said Rodger Desai, chief executive officer of Payfone. "Payfone already exclusively serves as a critical ingredient to the bank consortium that helps traditional banks and FSOs fight fraud, with this new partnership, we are excited to bring capabilities to additional markets such alternative finance and payment gateways, healthcare, medical and retail through IDology."
- Synchrony Financial Extends PayPal and eBay Consumer Credit Card Programs - “We are pleased to deepen our relationship with these dynamic businesses and continue to meet the evolving needs of PayPal and eBay cardholders for convenient and safe payment solutions and valuable rewards,” said Tom Quindlen, executive vice president and CEO, Retail Cards, Synchrony Financial. “PayPal is at the forefront of digital payments and we look forward to building on our decade of adding greater value and simplicity to cardholder transactions.”
- Survey Finds Millennials Confident, Yet Chronically Stressed About Money - "A new Bank of America/USA TODAY Better Money Habits Millennial Report released today finds that while 84 percent of millennials are confident in their ability to manage their finances, 41 percent are “chronically stressed” about money."
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for October 13-14 in Palo Alto, California followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on October 15 on the topic of Global Payments.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Russ Jones for more information.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!