On the Web:
- The PayPal Mafia’s Golden Touch - New York Times = "The PayPal Mafia — a nickname given a group of alumni of PayPal, the payments company that went public in 2002 and was acquired by eBay — has its hands in many, if not most, of today’s most valuable private tech companies."
- UBS to Open Blockchain Research Lab in London - Wall St. Journal - "While many in financial services have expressed an interest in the underlying technology behind bitcoin, UBS’s is one of the first banks to go public with their plans. The idea is to get UBS more involved with the fintech crowd in London and open up to external innovation."
- PayPal Makes Acquisition of Paydiant Official - PayPal Forward Blog - "PayPal is always looking forward, and we acquired Paydiant to help deepen our partnerships with our merchant customers. By bringing Paydiant into the PayPal family, we speed up our ability to offer merchants great ways to create their own branded wallets."
- Silicon Valley Bank Strengthens Its Roots - New York Times - "Meyer Malka, the founder of the technology investing firm Ribbit Capital, said that when he opened Ribbit in 2012, there was no question that he would use Silicon Valley Bank, because of its industry expertise."
- Like all mobile wallets before it, Apple Pay struggles with retailers - ArsTechnica - "The finding reflects one of the biggest stumbling blocks that Apple Pay and its competitors face in trying to get people to adopt mobile payments—the fact that no payment platform can control the experience a customer has when they walk into a brick-and-mortar store."
- The Secret History of the Apple Watch - Wired - "Along the way, the Apple team landed upon the Watch’s raison d’être. It came down to this: Your phone is ruining your life."
- Logging Into Your Bank in a Heartbeat - Celent - "Apple may not always come up with the idea in the first place, but by throwing their weight behind they can take the idea mainstream. Biometric authentication has existed for years, but it was Apple that really brought it to everyone’s attention when it first launched TouchID, and subsequently demonstrated with Apple Pay how biometrics can be used to authenticate a payments transaction."
On the Wires:
- Ingenico Group and Intel to Bring Payments to the Internet of Things - “The shift in liability this October will be a major milestone in the United States for banks and credit card companies, but especially for retailers,” said Doug Davis, senior vice president and general manager, Internet of Things Group, Intel. “Intel and Ingenico Group are working to bridge the retail experience and security gap while also making sure devices are easy to deploy and manage so we don’t create new burdens for the merchants.”
- Align Commerce Halves Cost and Time of Transactions in $24 Trillion International Payments Market - “The blockchain offers a ready alternative. The Align Commerce Payments Platform is the first in the industry to use this global rail to help small and medium-sized businesses quickly collect and receive payments in their local currency while avoiding high wire fees and various hidden fees.”
- Mobile-Ordering Pioneer Tapingo Secures Additional $22 Million to Transform Local Commerce - “When you buy a coffee, you shouldn’t have to wait in line, pay at a register, then wait again,” says founder and CEO Daniel Almog. “Your phone should know what kind of coffee you like and make sure it’s available for you—where you need it, when you need it.”
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education Update!
- Our payments education schedule for 2015 is now available. Our next spring Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for New York City on April 14-15. We're also holding a one-day Insight Workshop on April 16 following the New York Boot Camp on the topic of Faster Payments. On May 19-20, we will be holding a Payments Boot Camp in Menlo Park, California followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on May 21 on the topic of The New Point of Sale.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
- Click here to share PaymentsNews with a friend
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews