Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- CONSUMERS KEEN TO EMBRACE BIOMETRIC M-PAYMENTS SECURITY: MASTERCARD - Cards International - "Nearly half of consumers worldwide (43%) have expressed interest in biometrics and other forms of authentication to improve digital payments security and 51% of those discussions were driven by advancements in facial and fingerprint recognition, reveals a new study by MasterCard."
- 47 Banks Complete DLT Cloud Pilot With Ripple Tech - Coindesk - "Notably, while Ripple has emphasized the effectiveness of its payment solution in international context, Yoshikawa, whose job is to liaison with Ripple’s partners in the Japanese market, cited the difficulties with domestic transactions as a motivating factor among participants."
- AmEx to Boost Rewards on Platinum Card That Competes With J.P. Morgan’s Sapphire Reserve - Wall Street Journal - "American Express Co. is launching another salvo in the reward-card wars. The credit-card company plans to announce Thursday that it is significantly increasing benefits on its Platinum charge card for the second time since October. The changes, which don’t affect other AmEx cards, will go into effect March 30 and will also increase the annual fee for the Platinum consumer card by 22%, to $550 from $450. It is the first increase in the fee since 2007."
- Bankers Are More Upbeat About Banks - Wall Street Journal - "Bank stocks reached their highest point in nearly 10 years on Wednesday, building on postelection gains that reflect hopes firms will soon shake free the shackles of stringent regulation, superlow interest rates and sluggish economic growth."
- Class Action lawsuit alleges PayPal diverts charitable donations from intended recipients, misleads consumers - TechCrunch - "The way the payments company handles charitable donations. The suit alleges the company’s charitable arm, the PayPal Giving Fund, is misleading consumers who believe they are giving directly to the charities listed on the company’s homepage, but whose funds are sometimes being redirected to different charities without either party’s knowledge."
- Samsung Pay to launch in India with support from five Visa and Mastercard issuers — and Paytm - NFC World - "Samsung has begun inviting Galaxy phone owners in India to register for early access to Samsung Pay. Customers can opt to pre-register Axis Bank, HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank and Standard Chartered Bank debit or credit cards and SBI Card credit cards today with support for American Express and Citibank to follow. Paytm‘s market leading mobile wallet will also be supported by the service."
- The Price of Bitcoin is Now Worth One Ounce of Gold - Coindesk - "The per-ounce spot price for gold is $1,237.73, according to the XAU/USD spot exchange rate provided by Bloomberg Markets. Bitcoin's price, by comparison, is at $1,238.11, having opened the day at $1,230.02, BPI data shows."
- Can Predicting Cardholder Behavior Help Reduce Prepaid Costs? - FIS Payments Leader blog - "Consumer spending behavior follows patterns, and prepaid cards are no different. Therefore, it follows that if banks and retailers can identify spending patterns, they can also predict behavior. This would allow them to pre-empt a consumer and take automated actions that could save money or increase card life and usage."
- More on Bluetooth Ingenico Overlay Skimmers - Krebs on Security - "The device featured here is a Bluetooth-based skimmer; it is designed to steal both the card data when a customer swipes and to record the victim’s PIN using a PIN pad overlay."
ON THE WIRES
- Fiserv Expands Contact and Servicing Center into Florida to Support Client Growth - "Fiserv, Inc. (NASDAQ: FISV), a leading global provider of financial services technology solutions, has opened its third Contact and Servicing Center, expanding its business process outsourcing capacity by 22 percent into Lake Mary, Fla. to meet the growing demand of automotive lenders and financial institutions for customer care, collateral management and back office functions."
- PerfectMind Teams up with PayPal to Expedite Payments - "PerfectMind, developers of cutting-edge facility booking and membership management software, today announced that PerfectMind customers can now offer PayPal as a payment option allowing members to seamlessly purchase products and services."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
The next Glenbrook Payments Boot Camp is March 7-8, 2017 in San Jose, CA. On March 9, still in San Jose, will be our Digital Payments Insight Workshop. Following that, our next public Boot Camp and Insight Workshop combination will be in New York City in April followed by Atlanta in May. Check out our spring schedule here. We hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!