Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- Wells Fargo Managers Pushed Overdraft Services - Wall Street Journal - "Wells Fargo & Co. managers pushed bankers to sign up customers for potentially costly overdraft protection that they didn’t always need or realize they were getting, according to current and former bankers and managers."
- Watch the first episode of our new series Trust Disrupted: Bitcoin and the Blockchain - Tech Crunch - "We have a new series launching this week called Trust Disrupted: Bitcoin and the Blockchain. The six-episode series examines the rise of Bitcoin and the tech that allows it to operate. The first episode will answer all your questions about the Bitcoin platform and how it works. Why did futurists want to create a totally digital currency? How would it work? What will the effects of Bitcoin and the blockchain have on the future of our economy?"
- Facebook lets users make purchases from brands directly through Messenger app - Mobile Commerce Daily - "The social media giant will now let consumers who engage with brands through the Messenger app purchase products with the tap of a button. The new capability is brought about by a partnership with Shopify."
- Wells Fargo Forms Tech-Payments Group, Promotes Two Managers - Bloomberg - "Wells Fargo & Co. combined corporate payments and some consumer-banking operations with the technology-innovations group, creating a unit run by the former leader of consumer lending, Avid Modjtabai."
- Credit Unions Turn to Blockchain Amid Increasing Competition - Coindesk - "A less-discussed type of financial entity, the credit union service organization (CUSO), has emerged as an unlikely – but significant – player in the industry’s CU Ledger blockchain initiative."
- Facial Recognition Software Advances Trigger Worries - Wall Street Journal - "But the technology comes with a darker side. One of the company’s products touched off a privacy scandal in Russia, and the founders say they are in negotiations to sell its products to state-affiliated security firms from China and Turkey, among other countries, many of whom have spotty records of protecting civil liberties."
ON THE WIRES
- Trailblazing in Tech: Hispanic Consumers Reveal Mobile-First Mindset, Early Adoption of Fintech - "Hispanic consumers are significantly more likely to engage with mobile to manage their finances, with 78 percent using a mobile banking app, compared to approximately half (51 percent) of non-Hispanics. What’s more, nearly three-quarters (69 percent) of the Hispanic community cite digital as their primary method of banking."
- QuickBooks Self-Employed Helps Freelancers Get Paid Faster With Effortless Invoicing - "Invoicing has been the top requested feature from QuickBooks Self-employed users. Research shows that freelancers are owed an average of $10,000 in unpaid invoices, and spend 36 hours tracking down each missing payment. Now QuickBooks Self-Employed users will be able to take advantage of functionality that has already helped QuickBooks Online users get paid 15 days faster."
- Fifth Third Bank Launches New Consumer Credit Cards - "Fifth Third understands that consumers want simplicity in their financial lives. So today Fifth Third is introducing two new credit card products, TRIOSM and Truly SimpleSM, that are easy for consumers to understand, use, and maximize their benefits."
- To Go Stores selects P97 to transform Puerto Rican Pay at the Pump Experience - "The mobile deployment will take full advantage of P97’s strategic partner Verifone’s, new Commander Electronic Payment Server/Forecourt Controllers, which are being installed at all sites to ensure the in-store Point of Sale systems are EMV compliant and enabled with the Conexxus mobile standard. Rapid and secure mobile account authentication is supported by Microsoft’s Azure B2C and payment accounts are enabled instantly with the PetroZone integration by Automated Clearing House (ACH) provider BIM (Buy It Mobility)."
GLENBROOK AT MONEY2020
We're at Money2020 and we'd love to get together. If you have a payments challenge, want to know more about our Glenbrook payments education programs, or have a great story to tell, get in touch so we can schedule a meeting.
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming this fall - in Palo Alto, CA and New York City. See our fall schedule here. We hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - New York - October 18-19
- Insight Workshop - New York - B2B Payments - October 20
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Among other positions, we're looking for an East Coast engagement manger. Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!