Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- CVS Pharmacy launches its own mobile payments and loyalty solution, CVS Pay - Techlear - "CVS Health today is launching its own mobile payments solution that will allow customers to pay for products, pick up prescriptions, earn ExtraCare loyalty rewards, as well as pay – just by scanning the barcode in the CVS mobile app. The idea, the company explains, is to eliminate the number of steps it takes today to complete a checkout, which today is a very manual process."
- Self-checkout services make theft more likely, report says - Minneapolis Star Tribune - "Self-service checkout technology may offer convenience and speed, but it also helps turn law-abiding shoppers into petty thieves by giving them “ready-made excuses” to take merchandise without paying, two criminologists say. In a study of retailers in the U.S., Britain and other European countries, professor Adrian Beck and Matt Hopkins of the University of Leicester in England said the use of self-service lanes and smartphone apps to make purchases generated a loss rate of nearly 4 percent, more than double the average."
- Ethereum Scaling Advances With Off-Blockchain Payments - Coindesk - "Sent from Copenhagen, Denmark, to Mumbai, India, the test saw the developers behind micropayments project Raiden send ether via clients operated by members in those cities last week. While small in scale, ethereum developers more broadly see the proof-of-concept as a key technical step toward solving one of the pressing issues facing not only the network, but all public blockchains. Ethereum and bitcoin, for example, currently each support only a fraction of the transactions seen daily on centralized payment networks like Visa or MasterCard. As developers seek to take on this challenge, scaling is widely seen as a fundamental issue yet to be solved."
ON THE WIRES
- US Payments Forum Publishes Update to Payment Networks Minimum Requirements for US EMV Chip Deployment - "As U.S. issuers, merchants, acquirers and processors continue their migrations to EMV chip technology for more secure payments, many stakeholders may ask: “What is the least complex way to deploy chip for my organization?” To help merchants and acquirers develop their strategies for implementation, payment network members of the U.S. Payments Forum (formerly the EMV Migration Forum) have updated the guide outlining their minimum requirements for chip deployment, including changes to incorporate requirements for the recently announced faster EMV solutions from American Express, Discover, MasterCard and Visa."
- CVS Pharmacy Launches Breakthrough, End-to-End Mobile Payment Experience - "CVS Pay offers more than just a payment solution: customers can now use their CVS Pharmacy mobile app to streamline their checkout experience at the store – combining multiple steps into one easy scan. For customers picking up a prescription, CVS Pay offers a simple, private and end-to-end pharmacy experience. Customers will have the ability to refill, manage multiple prescriptions and get alerts when prescriptions are ready, all within the app – and then pick up and pay using a single barcode. Customers can also link their ExtraCare card with CVS Pay, meaning a single scan at checkout will process all ExtraCare deals, earn new rewards and handle payment for the transaction. "
- BlueSnap Empowers Developers with Frictionless Checkout Solutions - "BlueSnap has launched a new suite of developer-centered resources, including an Android SDK, a comprehensive Developer Hub, and more API enhancements designed to empower developers to build frictionless checkout for their shoppers across mobile and web devices."
- Boku Brings Carrier Billing to Windows 10 Devices in UK and Italy - "Boku, the world’s largest direct carrier billing mobile payments company, is pleased to announce an expansion to bring direct carrier billing to Windows Store customers in two premier European markets: the UK and Italy. As part of Microsoft’s integration with Boku, Windows 10 customers in the UK on O2 and in Italy on Wind will be able to use their mobile account as a payment option when making purchases in the Windows Store. Customers in these markets can make purchases across the full range of Windows 10 devices, including mobile phones, tablets, PCs, or laptops."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming this fall - in Palo Alto, CA and New York City. See our fall schedule here. We hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - October 11-12
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Data in Payments - October 13
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Among other positions, we're looking for an East Coast engagement manger. Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!