Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- Mizuho to Conduct Blockchain Payments Trial with Ripple - Coindesk - "The trial will find the Japan-based financial services firm and R3 member, along with SBI Holdings, using Ripple's payment solutions to explore how cross-border payments could be conducted between the financial institutions. R3 will act as the consultant on the project."
- First National Bank jumps into mobile banking with corporate-facing app - Mobile Commerce Daily - "First National Bank of Pennsylvania is optimizing its banking services for mobile with a new application that allows clients to receive push notifications regarding account activity and approve time-sensitive fund transfers for their organizations."
- UBA and Mastercard Announce Pan African Partnership - Pasyments Afrika - "United Bank Africa (UBA) and Mastercard have announced a partnership which will see UBA act as the issuer for MasterCard in 18 new markets in Africa. The partnership which came into effect in the second quarter of 2016 will see UBA issue Mastercard credit, debit and prepaid cards across these markets."
- Point-Of-Sale Attacks Still Going Strong But The Reason Isn’t What You Think - Point of Sale News - "The issue arises because most businesses aren’t considering the fact that POS systems are just one link in the chain. They are largely leaving their networks vulnerable because once they hear the word “compliant,” many assume they are also secure. "
- GSMA unveils solution for online authentication via mobile nos - The Times of India - "Simply put, the solution uses an individual's mobile number for authentication, enabling them to digitally confirm their identity and access mobile and digital services. In effect, Mobile Connect works by employing the users' unique mobile number combined with a unique PIN (for more secure cases), to verify and grant online access."
- A resolution calling for a pro-bitcoin national policy was just introduced in Congress - Coin Center blog - "It’s important to note that a House Resolution, if passed, only sets forth the sense of the House of Representatives (and not necessarily the Senate) about what kind of policy the federal government should adopt, either through future legislation or through agency rule-making. It’s not binding and it’s not specific, but it is a good way for the House to communicate in what direction it would like to see government policy move."
- Software flaw puts mobile phones and networks at risk of complete takeover - Ars Technica - "Dan Guido, an expert in cellular phone security and the CEO of a firm called Trail of Bits, agreed that the vulnerability will be hard to exploit. But Moore also described ASN.1 as the "backbone" of today's mobile telephone system. Even in the absence of working code-execution capabilities, attackers could use exploits to trigger denial-of-service outages that could interrupt key parts of a network or knock them out altogether."
ON THE WIRES
- EMV Migration Forum Changes Name to US Payments Forum, Expands Focus to Additional Emerging Payments Technologies - "To provide expanded support for the payments ecosystem, the EMV Migration Forum today announced that it will change its name to the U.S. Payments Forum. The U.S. Payments Forum will continue to support the chip migration while also broadening its focus to other new and emerging payments technologies in the U.S."
- UnionPay International Accelerates the Localization of Its Overseas Business--UnionPay cards are gaining popularity among overseas customers - "UnionPay International is accelerating its localization overseas by enlarging card-issuing scale abroad, and by supporting overseas cardholders' card-using in the local market, China and other countries and regions. Latest data show that, by this June, the transaction volume of overseas-issued UnionPay cards has grown by about 40% year-on-year, well above that of domestically-issued UnionPay cards in overseas markets. The transaction volume of overseas-issued UnionPay cards takes up about half of UnionPay's international business."
- ModusLink Simplifies Subscription and Payment Processing for High-Growth E-Commerce Companies - "The platform-agnostic solution, powered through ModusLink’s enterprise-class Poetic™ software, is the only global full omni-channel offering for creating and managing online subscriptions. It includes functionality such as multiple payment options, financial management and tax services, entitlement management, systems integration, invoicing and fulfillment – all in one, fully-integrated solution."
- GC Express Customers Get Perks for Paying with Smartphones at the Pump - "GC Express, a gas station in Caro, Michigan, is now offering a free coffee or fountain drink to customers paying with the Team One Credit Union Mobile Banking App on their smartphones for fuel purchases of $10 or more. Consumers can use the mobile app to pay at the pump as a result of GC Express' implementation of the AnyWhereMobile payment service from MShift Inc., which is seamlessly integrated in-store and at the pump with Verifone Commander Site Controller."
- CardFlight Releases the Latest Trends on EMV Chip Card Usage in the U.S. - "CardFlight, a mobile point of sale (POS) technology provider, released the latest edition of their EMV Migration Tracker with new data and trends covering EMV chip card usage in the U.S. The report shares insights on EMV chip card use among cardholders and merchants in the United States since the October 1, 2015 liability shift."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming this fall - in Palo Alto, CA and New York City - we hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - October 11-12
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Data in Payments - October 13
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!