Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
Here's to the New Year! Everyone at Glenbrook wishes you success, fulfillment, and great health for 2017.
ON THE WEB
- Swiss Are Frank About Their Love of Cash - Wall Street Journal - "The Swiss love cash, and use it regularly to pay for purchases large and small—monthly utility bills can be paid in cash at post offices. Their affinity shows no sign of abating, and flies in the face of a global trend toward cashless economies and electronic payments that can better track potential fraud."
- Paytm, India’s top mobile payments firm, gets approval to launch its own digital bank - TechCrunch - "The development of Paytm Payments Bank mirrors Alibaba and Ant Financial’s own course in China, where it is one of a number of top internet companies to expand into banking and financial services."
- Bitcoin jumps above $1,000 for first time in three years - Reuters - "Digital currency bitcoin kicked off the new year by jumping above $1,000 for the first time in three years late on Sunday, having outperformed all central-bank-issued currencies with a 125 percent climb in 2016."
- Walmart is 2016 mobile retailer of the year - Mobile Commerce Daily - "Another major step that helped propel Walmart in the right direction was its online and mobile pay system that launched in December of 2015 but saw real growth in 2016. With mobile payments becoming increasing important in online purchasing, Walmart’s solution was a major step in the right direction."
- Starbucks app integrates with Bitcoin wallet - Mobile Commerce Daily - "Customers using the Starbucks app can now pay through iPayYou’s Bitcoin wallet to pay for an assortment of items on its menu. iPayYou works through automated conversion processes to convert the oft-volatile cryptocurrency into USD in real time, through a tool called Bitcoin Direct to Starbucks."
- VW Buys Mobile-Payment Provider PayByPhone for Parking Services - Bloomberg - "The purchase of Vancouver-based PayByPhone, which processed more than $250 million in transactions this year, will turn the German company’s Volkswagen Financial Services unit into the leader in mobile payments for parking, the automaker said Wednesday in a statement. The companies aren’t disclosing the cost of the acquisition."
ON THE WIRES
- PAX Secures Major Win at China UnionPay Merchant Services - "PAX Technology (HKEx: 00327 - PAX GLOBAL), a global leader in the provision of secure electronic payment terminal solutions, is pleased that China UnionPay Merchant Services ("UMS") has selected PAX to supply secure payment devices to over 6 million merchants during 2017. As one of the largest merchant acquirers in the world, UMS will be leveraging the full PAX product portfolio. Particular emphasis is being placed by UMS on the innovative A920 Android terminal which offers high levels of application customization to meet different merchant demands of procurement, logistics, inventory and business management."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Glenbrook's 2016 boot camps are done but there's more to look forward to. Our next Glenbrook payments education events are in San Jose, CA, New York, NY, and Atlanta, GA. See our spring schedule here. We hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!