On the Web:
- EBay Announces Job Cuts, Icahn Pact - Wall St. Journal - "EBay Inc. announced plans to cut about 2,400 jobs, or about 7% of its workforce, as the e-commerce giant prepares to spin off its PayPal electronic-payments business later this year from marketplace."
- The 3Ps of the blockchain: platforms, programs and protocols - O'Reilly Radar - "Although it may be early to baptize new buzz lingo like “Blockchain as a Service” (BaaS) or “Blockchain as a Platform” (BaaP), there is a burgeoning landscape of various implementations and activity in and around the blockchain’s decentralized consensus protocol technologies."
- Walmart offering cash pickup option for tax refunds - Chain Store Age - "In its newest move to offer more in-store financial services, Walmart is offering shoppers the option to pick up their tax refunds in cash. The new service, called Walmart Direct2Cash, is available nationwide starting Jan. 20."
- Intuit Buys ZeroPaper, Its First Acquisition In Brazil - TechCrunch - "We are thrilled to work with ZeroPaper to reach small businesses, many just getting started and others, more established and larger businesses in need of the robust solutions in the QuickBooks Ecosystem, Dan Wernikoff, SVP & GM of the Small Business Group.
- Seeing foreign interest in agri, infra & tech: MasterCard - MoneyControl.com - "India US trade will cross USD 500 billion by 2015. That’s the word coming in from Ajay Singh Banga, CEO, MasterCard."
On the Wires:
- Payments Industry Veteran Michael A. Walsh Joins Cortex MCP Board of Directors - “Michael’s vast payment industry expertise, insights and his keen eye for winning investment opportunities will be invaluable to Cortex MCP as the mobile payments market enters an exciting new phase of growth,” said Cortex MCP Founder, President and CEO Shaunt Sarkissian.
- More than 50 Percent of Retailers Not Fully Prepared as EMV Deadlines Approach - "Despite retailers’ intent to increase investments in payments security, the survey found a notable lack of urgency regarding the migration to chip & PIN technology."
- Ingenico Group and Beamm Launch New EMV-Certified, In-Store Tablet POS Solution for Small Businesses - "Our smart tabletPOS enables small business owners to process EMV, NFC and mag stripe transactions without breaking the bank. It has a small and familiar form factor and the latest security features including point-to-point-encryption and tokenization, and is backed by Ingenico Group’s 30 years’ experience in payment innovation plus the small business prowess of Beamm.”
- Synchrony Financial Partners with GPShopper on Mobile Customer Engagement Platform - "The investment enables Synchrony Financial, a premier consumer financial services company with 80 years of retail heritage, to complement its proprietary mobile offerings, which currently include account acquisition, management and reward redemption. An expanded suite of solutions for retailers will integrate credit more easily into the shopping experience with personalized offers, mobile payment capabilities, loyalty programs and other key features."
- BillMatrix Payments from Fiserv Enables Visa Card Payments for Con Edison Customers - “Our customers value convenience and choice, and with BillMatrix Payments from Fiserv, we are able to deliver more of the payment options our customers want,” said Joe Duggan, a manager in Con Edison’s Strategic Applications Department. “The addition of Visa-branded cards as a payment option has been particularly well-received by our customers.”
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education Schedule Now Available!
- Our payments education schedule for this year is now available. Our spring Payments Boot Camp sessions begin in Menlo Park, CA on March 3-4 followed by New York City on April 14-15. We're also holding two one-day Insight Workshops this spring - B2B Payments on March 5 in Menlo Park and Payments for the Unbanked on April 16 in New York City.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
- Click here to share PaymentsNews with a friend
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews