ON THE WEB
- In the Race to Pay, Mobile Wallets Win - New York Times - "For most chip transactions, you have to dip the credit card into a slot and wait for the transaction to be approved before you can remove it and scribble your signature. Mobile payments could be a quicker alternative."
- Consumer Agency Moves to Assert Bank Customers’ Right to Sue - New York Times - "In effect, the move by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau — the biggest that the agency has made since its inception in 2010 — will unravel a set of audacious legal maneuvers by corporate America that has prevented customers from using the court system to challenge potentially deceitful banking practices."
- Consumer Finance Watchdog Plans to Supervise Marketplace Lenders - Wall St. Journal - "The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau plans to bring the largest online lenders under its supervision as soon as late 2017, the first time the lenders would face federal scrutiny similar to that of banks..."
- With Alipay and Paytm, Uber covers China, India and the world - Economic Times - "The partnership, is significant because it brings together Uber and an affiliate of Alibaba, which an investor in its Chinese rival Didi Kuaidi."
- Europe to Remove 500-Euro Bill, the ‘Bin Laden’ Bank Note Criminals Love - New York Times - "The equivalent of $1 million, in that high euro note, weighs about five pounds and fits in a small bag, according to a Harvard University study this year."
ON THE WIRES
- Samsung Reinvents the Refrigerator - "Groceries by MasterCard – Order groceries online from leading retailers like Fresh Direct and ShopRite and pay for them through a simple, single check-out with any U.S.-issued credit or debit cards."sa
- GlobalPlatform and FIDO Alliance sign memorandum of understanding to ease identity authentication - "The two industry associations are working to ease FIDO authenticator development on GlobalPlatform-based secure component products. This will enable service providers to efficiently incorporate user authentication features – such as voice recognition and biometrics – as part of their GlobalPlatform-secure deployments."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming up in May - both in Palo Alto, CA - we hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!