On the Web:
- China to open bank card clearing market to foreign firms from June - Reuters - "Foreign firms will be able to set up their own clearing companies in China and apply to the central bank for licenses for bank card clearing businesses from June 1, the State Council said on its website on Wednesday."
- Finding the Right Credit Card, No Matter How Much You Travel - New York Times - "The card (or cards) you choose should be based on how often you travel, and your particular goals: Free checked bags? Free flights? Upgrades?"
- Apple Pay cashes in on security campaign as PayPal sags: report - Mobile Commerce Daily - "Forty-five percent of respondents – up 5 points since December – said they planned to use Apple Pay, while 28 percent preferred PayPal, a four point drop, according to the survey of consumer mobile payment trends conducted in March by 451 Research’s ChangeWave service."
On the Wires:
- eBay Inc. Reports First Quarter Results - "We had a strong first quarter, with eBay and PayPal off to a good start for the full year," said eBay Inc. President and CEO John Donahoe. "I feel very good about the performance of our teams at eBay and PayPal. Each business is executing well with greater focus and operating discipline as we prepare to separate eBay and PayPal into independent publicly traded companies. We are moving forward with clarity and speed, with a smooth separation expected in the third quarter. We are deeply committed to setting up eBay and PayPal to succeed and to deliver sustainable value to our shareholders."
- NACHA Announces 2015 Payments System Awards Recipients - “NACHA is proud to recognize New York City CPRS, Verifone and Wells Fargo as recipients of the 2015 Payments System Awards,” said Janet O. Estep, president and CEO of NACHA. “They each have contributed significantly to leadership and excellence in payments by finding innovative ways to evolve their processes and products to meet the needs of a changing industry.”
- First Data and Sam’s Club Collaborate to Fuel Small Business Growth - “With this expanded agreement, First Data is making a significant commitment to millions of Sam’s Club members who currently operate or are looking to open a business in the U.S.,” said Chris Foskett, Head of Global, Strategic and National Accounts at First Data. “Extending this relationship with Sam’s Club gives us the opportunity to enable more business owners and operators to achieve their dreams.”
- Wells Fargo Startup Accelerator Taps 3 New Early-Stage Companies - “If a startup can sell its idea to us,” said Steve Ellis, Wells Fargo head of Wholesale Services, “they can sell it to a lot of other banks, which can benefit the entire financial services industry.”
- OTG and NCR Introduce Tech-enhanced Airport Shopping Experience - “NCR’s consumer transaction technologies enable us to offer our customers more control over their experience,” said OTG CEO Rick Blatstein. “We continue to introduce technologies that our customers are familiar with, such as self-checkout and mobile payment options like Apple Pay, which allow our crew members to spend more time on hospitality.”
- Open Identity Exchange Launches OIXnet: A Global Registry for Trust Frameworks - “Trusted transactions are the engines of online services,” said Don Thibeau, OIX Chairman and President. “Like an Underwriter Lab’s seal of approval on products, OIXnet is a neutral, open online registry that enables a similar level of trust and discovery at Internet scale for a wide variety of trust frameworks.”
- Green Dot Awarded New Mobile Patent, Expanding its Patent Library Related to Secure and Geo-Location-Aware Devices - "Green Dot Corporation today announced the issuance of U.S. Patent No. 8,989,778, a patent that is directed to secure and private location sharing for location-aware mobile communication devices."
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next spring Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for May 19-20 in Menlo Park, California followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on May 21 on the topic of The New Point of Sale.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
- Click here to share PaymentsNews with a friend
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews