On the Web:
- MCX launches CurrentC, a mobile wallet for Walmart, Best Buy and other retailers - GigaOm - "What CurrentC doesn’t do is support Near Field Communications, the contactless transaction technology used by competing platforms ..."
- Data: Nearly All U.S. Home Depot Stores Hit - Krebs on Security - "New data gathered from the cybercrime underground suggests that the apparent credit and debit card breach at Home Depot involves nearly all of the company’s stores across the nation."
- Home Depot Tries to Reassure Customers About Possible Data Breach - Wall St. Journal - "The home-improvement retailer said Wednesday that it still hasn't determined whether a breach actually occurred..."
- I Feel Nothing: The Home Depot Hack And Data Breach Fatigue - NPR All Tech Considered - "We are in the trough of disillusionment," says Gartner security analyst Avivah Litan. "Over 1,000 retailers have been hit; it's not limited to Home Depot. There are 999 others that no one's talking about."
- Isis Mobile Wallet Rebrands To Softcard To Distance From Miltant Terror Group - TechCrunch - "Abbott explains that the name was chosen because the company “wanted a name and visual identity that had the power, flexibility and simplicity to define our category.”
- Google Analyst: Bitcoin Could Be ‘The Internet of Money’ - CoinDesk - "The paper goes on to advocate for a regulatory approach that allows innovation to take place while addressing the concerns of consumer safety advocates, financial regulators and law enforcement agencies."
- “[Xapo] will have no choice but to block New York customers from accessing services” and Why New York Should Care - Xapo Blog - "New York’s proposed BitLicense in its current form is the wrong form of regulation and in fact poses a threat to New York and New York consumers."
On the Wires:
- Merchant Customer Exchange Unveils its Mobile Payment Network – CurrentC™ - "CurrentC is a software-based solution that works with most existing point-of-sale and payment terminals — providing merchants large and small with a cost-effective entry point into the mobile payments movement. CurrentC will utilize a secure paycode and will not require additional hardware from most customers or merchants."
- A Message from CEO, Michael Abbott: Isis Wallet is Becoming Softcard - "Together with a simple and flexible visual system, the inherent simplicity of Softcard gives it the potential to become a category defining name. That’s a bold aspiration, but one that matches the breadth of our vision."
- MasterCard Announces Inaugural MasterCard Start Path Class - “The opportunity to work closely with each of our Start Path startups that are experimenting with the next generation of commerce solutions is really exciting,” said Stephane Wyper, MasterCard Start Path Global Lead. “We’re looking forward to rolling up our sleeves with the companies to tackle immediate challenges as they scale their business by connecting them directly with subject matter experts from across MasterCard and the global partners we work with.”
- NFL Fans Score with Visa Checkout - The Easier Way to Pay Online - Through our relationship with merchants on creative customer promotions, we’re showcasing the easier way to pay online in a really powerful way,” said Antonio Lucio, chief global brand officer, Visa Inc. “This campaign is a great example of how Visa is teaming up with leading merchants to showcase a better way to pay online. It also allows millions of consumers to experience and enjoy first-hand how, with Visa Checkout, we’ve brought the simplicity and speed of the ‘swipe’ to the online world.”
- Acquisition of Clear2Pay Bolsters FIS’ Enterprise Payments Portfolio - "This strategic acquisition demonstrates our commitment to delivering the technologies and assets that will enable our clients, especially large and global institutions, to realize a truly modern payments environment that encompasses all customer channels, simplifies payment operations, reduces costs and provides a better customer experience.”
- Fiserv Redesigns Corillian Online Banking to Deliver a Simplified, Tablet-Inspired User Experience - “Online banking continues to be the foundational experience of digital banking,” said Jim Tobin, senior vice president and general manager, Digital Channels, Fiserv. “It’s important to get online right, because so many other channels extend from it, and that is why we put so much thought into the redesign of Corillian Online ASP."
- Late Payment Culture Hinders Growth for Global Businesses - "Over half (57%) of international businesses surveyed by Basware and MasterCard admit to having actively delayed paying their suppliers in the past 12 months. The findings underscore a late payment culture, which three out of four businesses now consider normal practice, that is hampering in particular small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs)"
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join Elizabeth McQueery and Manfred Schuck for Glenbrook's Payments in Europe Workshop - Oct 9 in Palo Alto, CA
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Money20/20 has become the go-to event in payments. We'll be there in force... will you? Use this promo code to register "GLENBR20"
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews