On the Web:
- PayPal's Startup Guys Have Seized The Company's Reins - "...Schulman has elevated two executives, Hill Ferguson and Bill Ready, to posts running the company's consumer and merchant businesses respectively."
- Costco Names Citi, Visa as New Credit Partners - Wall St. Journal - "Costco Wholesale Corp. on Monday named Citigroup Inc. and Visa Inc. as its new credit partners, replacing American Express Co. as the exclusive network at its stores beginning in April of next year."
- PayPal to Pay $280 Million for Paydiant, the Startup Behind Walmart’s Apple Pay Competitor - "The eBay payment unit plans to acquire Paydiant, a payments startup that licenses a technology platform used by big retail chains to create their own branded mobile wallet apps."
- Google confirms plans to launch its own wireless service - Business Insider - "Google executive Sundar Pichai said the company would do its own wireless service at a "small scale" to "show what's possible.""
- Data Security Is Becoming the Sparkle in Bitcoin - New York Times - "Explaining how the block chain works can tangle the tongues of even those who are most enthusiastic about Bitcoin."
On the Wires:
- Costco Enters Into a Long Term Co-Brand Credit Card Agreement With Citi and an Acceptance and Co-Brand Agreement With Visa - "Under the terms of the agreements, Citi, the world's largest issuer of consumer credit cards, would become the exclusive issuer of Costco's co-brand credit cards and Visa will replace American Express as the credit card network for Costco in the United States and Puerto Rico beginning April 1, 2016."
- Visa and Samsung Bring Mobile Payments to the New Samsung Galaxy S6 - “Working in partnership with Samsung, we are able to bring secure mobile payments to millions of consumers around the world,” said Ryan McInerney, global president, Visa Inc. “Combining Visa’s expertise in payment technology with Samsung’s global leadership in creating innovative mobile experiences gives more choice to financial institutions who want to enable their customers to pay with the new generation of mobile devices.”
- MasterCard Works with Samsung to Deliver Samsung Pay - “This is an exciting time for payments,” said Ed McLaughlin, chief emerging payments officer, MasterCard. “As consumers are increasingly relying on their mobile devices in their everyday lives, we are excited to work with an industry leader like Samsung to deliver new payment options to our cardholders around the world. We have been a pioneer of mobile commerce innovation for years and together we’re delivering a digital payment experience that is both simple and secure.”
- U.S. Bank, Samsung Working on New Mobile-Payments Service - “We're thrilled to have payments become a core capability of the mobile phone,” said Pam Joseph, vice chairman and head of U.S. Bank Payment Services. “The result of mobile payments is that our customers can use the same, familiar credit-card payment system but with added security and convenience.”
- Synchrony Financial Enables Private Label Credit Card Benefits Through the Samsung Pay Secure Mobile Wallet - “This fits perfectly into our mobile wallet strategy to build, partner and invest in the latest technologies to benefit our customers and our partners,” said Margaret Keane, President and CEO of Synchrony Financial. “We continue to make our cards valuable to consumers, retailers and merchants and are pleased to expand our capabilities to securely offer private label credit card benefits through this mobile payment solution.”
- Visa and Airtel Extend Mobile Payments to Seven African Countries - “Mobile payments can transform the lives of people throughout Africa who commonly have access to a mobile phone, but not a bank,” said Vish Sowani, Vice President of MNO Partnerships for Visa. “For most new subscribers, this will represent their first payment account and bring some of the latest digital payment advancements into the everyday experiences of Airtel’s customers.”
- Announcing Bango Grid: The Global Launch Pad for Carrier Billing - Ray Anderson, Bango CEO said: “There are more than 700 MNOs globally, with different billing systems. It is no surprise that even the most ambitious app stores have not yet achieved 100 MNO activations. Bango Grid is rocket fuel for app stores, providing the only way to increase carrier billing activations at scale. For the first time, the tools required to activate hundreds of markets are all in one place, through one integrated system. Backed-up by the Bango Payments Platform, app stores can now make carrier-billed payment a reality for every customer."
- MasterCard Reveals Consumer Sentiment on Payments Evolves from “Why Mobile?” to “What’s Next?” in 24 Months - "According to the latest MasterCard research, consumers have shifted their focus from questioning the security of mobile payments to now discussing the possibilities of enhanced digital experiences on devices."
- MasterCard and Cubic to Make Mobile Devices the Remote Control for Global Cities - “MasterCard and Cubic, both lead members in the Smart Cities Council, share a vision to improve quality of life for everyday citizens in cities and help authorities to better manage population growth and urban development,” said Will Judge, head of Urban Mobility, MasterCard Enterprise Partnerships. “Combining our expertise and reach allows us to ultimately drive greater value and make consumers’ lives easier and more enjoyable as they travel around and between connected cities.”
- ACI Worldwide and STS PayOne Partner to Provide ePayment and Fraud Prevention Services to the Middle East - Commenting on the partnership, Mr. Janti Abdallah, STS PayOne General Manager, said: “We strive to offer the best ePayment solutions to our clients, which includes providing the highest levels of security and fraud prevention. We were among the first to adopt and promote 3D Secure in the region, in addition to PKI and SSL encryption, not to mention achieving PCI-DSS compliance. The partnership with ACI Worldwide is in line with this eagerness to adopt best practices in fraud prevention and sustain our distinction and innovation.”
- Intel Launches New Mobile SoCs, LTE Solution - “The evolution of the mobile landscape and growth of smart, connected devices has led to increased demand for more connectivity and real-time, protected data on those devices,” said Krzanich. “All of these factors are driving a transformation of the network to accelerate the delivery of new personal computing experiences, services and capabilities in a safe and secure manner. Intel is one of the only companies in the world that can provide solutions end-to-end for the full spectrum of mobility.”
- NXP Launches New Secure Service Development Platform for Secure Mobile Transactions - “The SSDP supports partners wanting to create new secure applications by removing the technical challenges they face in getting credentials on to the secure element in phones and wearable devices. Now, instead of taking months, new applications can be created and validated in a matter of weeks,” said Jeff Miles, VP Business Development, NXP Semiconductors. “The SSDP will streamline the process for the development community therefore enabling phone and wearable technology manufacturers to bring these new apps to market faster.”
- Raise Welcomes Gift Card Pioneer Don Kingsborough to Board of Directors - “Don has had a career full of incredible successes, and the role he played in cementing gift cards as a shopping staple has really set the stage for what we do at Raise,” said George Bousis, founder and CEO of Raise. “He's seen everything on all sides of the spectrum and will be a valued advisor to the company as we rely on his unparalleled experience and know-how to help manage growth, expectations, hiring, infrastructure and more."
- SecureKey Announces $19M in New Funding to Broaden Adoption of Its Identity Network Services - “SecureKey allows organizations to build or subscribe to an identity network that connects consumers to online services via a trusted third-party credential of their choice, where both privacy and security are paramount,” said Charles Walton, CEO of SecureKey. “The funding will help SecureKey accelerate its growth, as people, governments, and organizations worldwide embrace a future that removes the burden of passwords while giving consumers the convenience, choice, and control they deserve.”
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education Schedule Now Available!
- Our payments education schedule for this year is now available. Our spring Payments Boot Camp sessions begin in Menlo Park, CA on March 3-4 followed by New York City on April 14-15. We're also holding two one-day Insight Workshops this spring - B2B Payments on March 5 in Menlo Park and Faster Payments on April 16 in New York City.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
- Click here to share PaymentsNews with a friend
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events.
Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews