On the web:
- Why The $110B Gift Card Industry Must Die - ReadWrite - "Every year, US residents turn $110B of cash into a far-less liquid asset and pay a few percentage points in extra fees."
- How do you build a Digital Bank? - Financial Services Club Blog - "An Interview With Chris Skinner on Building a Digital Bank"
- NFC will not power US mobile payments: Forrester - Mobile Commerce Daily - "“I’m often asked which will be the winner, and the bad news is at least for now there won’t be one..."
- NTT Docomo sets launch date for global NFC payments - NFC World - "The rollout of the new iD/PayPass service will enable NTT Docomo iD mobile credit card account holders in Japan to use their mobile phones to make payments at MasterCard PayPass merchants..."
- Bitcoin’s Radical Days Are Over. Here’s How to Take It Mainstream - Wired Enterprise - "We can make Bitcoin our own by building on top of it."
- Robocoin launches bitcoin ATM in Vancouver - CoinDesk - “You can literally walk up to the machine, scan your hand, and get started with bitcoin.”
- Emirates joins American Express Membership Rewards program - USA Today - "Emirates is the newest airline partner to participate in American Express' Membership Rewards loyalty program."
On the wires:
- Visa Inc. Reports Strong Fiscal Fourth Quarter and Full-Year 2013 Earnings Results and Authorizes New $5.0 Billion Share Repurchase Program
- Campus Nation Network™ Enters Into a Strategic Alliance and Distribution Agreement With Loop™ - "Together the companies will create the Campus Loop™ product line, a joint offering for the university and college market that will focus on serving students and faculty as well as the merchants around these communities."
- FIDO Alliance Exceeds 50 Members in Eight Months, as Industry Drives Fast Toward Open Standards for Universal Strong Authentication - "The FIDO approach ensures that users and Relying Parties (RPs) have a variety of choices to implement better authentication that overcomes the prevailing reliance on passwords."
- Discover Annual Holiday Survey Finds Consumer Spending Intentions to Be Bright - "The vast majority of consumers, 84 percent, say they will shop both in-store and online, up from 60 percent in 2012. In addition, 51 percent plan to use a smartphone app to compare prices and 31 percent say they would use a mobile wallet for their purchases."
- Near Field Communication Forum and IATA Publish NFC Reference Guide for Air Travel - "The two organizations ... collaborated extensively to develop content for the document, which seeks to help the global air travel industry better understand and evaluate the potential benefits and costs, use cases, and implementation options associated with adoption of NFC technology."
- First American Payment Systems Announces Next Day Merchant Funding - "Next Day Funding allows qualifying merchants to receive their funds in half the time of traditional processing timelines..."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Looking for consulting help from Glenbrook? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson and Scott Loftesness for our Glenbrook Payments Boot Camp on December 10-11th in Palo Alto, California!
- Glenbrook's Elizabeth McQuerry will be speaking on New Payments Regulation in Brazil at the International Money Transmitter Conference in Miami, Nov 4-7, 2013.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews