On the Web:
- Wal-Mart Treasury Exec: Chip & Signature is ‘Worthless’ - AFP - "During a presentation at the Electronic Transaction Association’s Transact conference in San Francisco last week, Mike Cook, senior vice president and assistant treasurer for Wal-Mart, called signature “worthless as a form of authentication” and criticized the rollout of chip-and-signature cards in the United States."
- More Prepaid Debit Cards Come Without Monthly Fees - Wall St. Journal - "A new survey released Monday by Bankrate.com found that prepaid debit cards are carrying fewer fees and offering customers more chances to avoid additional costs that may be tacked onto the account."
- FacePay? - TechCrunch - "What if buying something was as easy as Liking it? You’d probably buy a lot more, and buy it through whoever made it so damn simple."
- Big Investor Involvement Could Boost Bitcoin - Wall St. Journal - “They are all very interested, but it comes down to having some kind of regulatory clarity as well as to the technology available—whether you have something they feel is trustworthy, whether you have a big enough capital base, whether you have good enough technology...”
- Hacking ATMs, Literally - Krebs on Security - "An ATM technician and KrebsOnSecurity reader shared photos of a recent attack in which three would-be robbers went to town on a wall-mounted cash machine with crowbars and hammers."
- No cash, no cards - digital currencies and mobile wallets are the future of retail banking - Zawya - "At some stage there will be no cash, no cards, just mobile wallets - everything will be online. Finally digital currencies like Bitcoin, will dominate, at present there are 50,000 transactions a month resulting in billions of dollars of digital currency."
- Is Mickey Mouse showing us the future of credit cards? - CreditCards.com - "About a year ago, Disney World began offering what it calls "MagicBands" to its annual pass holders and to guests staying at Disney resorts."
On the Wires:
- Elavon Strengthens its Suite of EMV Offerings with Commerce SDK, Now Enhances Consumer Payment Experience with Apple Pay™ Powered by talech and Ingenico - "The Commerce SDK comprehensive kit accelerates a business’ ability to implement a secure, EMV-compliant payment solution by combining Elavon’s global payment processing, EMV certification coding, encryption and tokenization implementation and hardware support for printers, terminals and mobile devices into one package that is easy to integrate."
- Brink’s and NetSpend Launch Brink’s Prepaid MasterCard - “Prepaid cards empower those without traditional banking relationships by equipping them with the tools, resources and education to take control of their financial lives and spend responsibly,” said Jeff Feuerstein, group head, U.S. Prepaid, MasterCard. “Access to reputable prepaid offerings from trusted brands such as Brink’s provide cardholders the opportunity to take advantage of all the benefits of electronic payments, including having a secure and convenient means of making purchases, tracking spending, setting budgets and more.”
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education Update!
- Our payments education schedule for 2015 is now available. Our next spring Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for New York City on April 14-15. We're also holding a one-day Insight Workshop on April 16 following the New York Boot Camp on the topic of Faster Payments. On May 19-20, we will be holding a Payments Boot Camp in Menlo Park, California followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on May 21 on the topic of The New Point of Sale.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
- Click here to share PaymentsNews with a friend
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews